PIREP: Armorglas - Finally an Ipad Glare Protector that Works!

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
If you're like me, you have tried more than one iPad protector and had frustrations galore. I won't name brands, but the ones I've tried always end up peeling or with unsightly bubbles, no matter how hard I try.

Enter Armorglas (http://www.mygoflight.com/armorglas-anti-glare-screen-protector-ipad-air/). This is the first product that practically puts itself on. I couldn't believe it when I positioned it on my iPad Mini, and it literally put itself on. All but two bubbles worked themselves out. And those two were easily pushed out.

Also, the surface is smoother and easier to read, even though it has the same or better glare protection. And finger prints are history.

Only caution is be careful not to bend it while you put it on. It's a tough glass, but glass does not bend! I broke my first one, and was quickly issued a refund.

Granted, $50 is a lot to pay for a piece of glass. But hey, I paid over $500 for my iPad, so it's worth the extra!

I will check back in later once I've used it a bit more. So far, it's vastly superior to other products and I've tried them all.

P.S. - It's also available on Amazon - free shipping for all you Prime members out there.

Last edited:
It's actually a glass product and not polymer film?

Well...I'm not the chemist, but it says on the box, "tempered glass". And it sure shattered like glass.

I'm guessing it's a mix of glass and polymer.

It's feather light, and extremely thin...don't even notice it's there except for the new clearer glare-free screen.

Good info. I am gonna see if the new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with its 5.9 inch screen will work as an EFB, flight planner in the cockpit rather than an iPad.

Just about any platform can serve as an EFB. If you want full planning and functionality, Foreflight only runs on iPad. That said, several competitors are introducing products that will soon be just as good.

For now, I feel stuck with iPad, because I truly use all of Foreflight's bells and whistles.

I wondered if it lived up to the marketing text. Does it alter the clarity of the screen? I've had one anti-glare film that was outstanding at eliminating glare, but reduced clarity of the screen.

My wife tried it and found it significantly decreased the touch sensitivity of the screen .... so I've passed.

I found the clarity far superior to competing products (one of which I'm using now on a different iPad). I disagree so far with the statement above about sensitivity. I find no difference whatsoever. This is after having used it for a few days, and on a fairly long cross country in a plane where I was calling up information in flight.

Week 2 - This product rocks! Clean clear good anti glare. No color distorting rainbow effect found on others. Not a hint of bubbles.

It is a keeper!

Good info. I am gonna see if the new Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with its 5.9 inch screen will work as an EFB, flight planner in the cockpit rather than an iPad.

It's just a bit small to work on in flight, 7" seems to be a decent compromise between being able to put it somewhere in view without blocking things which is the issue with the 10.4" screens, and having readability and buttons you can push accurately when it's a bit bumpy which is the problem with smaller screens.

Review Updated: PIREP: Armorglas - Finally an Ipad Glare Protector that Works!

Wanted to update this review after a few months. While it seemed perfect at first, it did not stand the test of time for me. Like many pilots, I mount my iPad. Turns out one of the most popular mounts is just too much for this product. It is now cracked on 3 corners and in the center on top. I'd still recommend it if you don't use this common mount. But for me, it's really not as strong as I thought it was.

Picture attached below and in next post (not letting me attach both pics).

If you're like me, you have tried more than one iPad protector and had frustrations galore. I won't name brands, but the ones I've tried always end up peeling or with unsightly bubbles, no matter how hard I try.

Enter Armorglas (http://www.mygoflight.com/armorglas-anti-glare-screen-protector-ipad-air/). This is the first product that practically puts itself on. I couldn't believe it when I positioned it on my iPad Mini, and it literally put itself on. All but two bubbles worked themselves out. And those two were easily pushed out.

Also, the surface is smoother and easier to read, even though it has the same or better glare protection. And finger prints are history.

Only caution is be careful not to bend it while you put it on. It's a tough glass, but glass does not bend! I broke my first one, and was quickly issued a refund.

Granted, $50 is a lot to pay for a piece of glass. But hey, I paid over $500 for my iPad, so it's worth the extra!

I will check back in later once I've used it a bit more. So far, it's vastly superior to other products and I've tried them all.

P.S. - It's also available on Amazon - free shipping for all you Prime members out there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Picture attached of mount model that destroys Armorglas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 111
Tried others - sticking with those from MediaDevil. Available both crystal clear and anti glare. Great reviews on Amazon, and I concur.

I use the Zagg Invisibleshield Glass on both my iPad mini and my iPhone5. It does not reduce glare, but as far as feel and clarity, you don't even notice it's there.

I don't use screen protectors. Have you guys ever had a problem with screen scratches? I haven't.

I haven't had an issue with scratches, but greasy fingerprints drive me crazy. Dunno the brands, but I have anti-glare screen protectors on my Galaxy S3 phone, Tab2 10.1 and Tab3 7.0 and love not having fingerprints all over the place constantly.

That said, I've also not used any of those devices for very long WITHOUT the screen protectors, so maybe they are saving me from scratches as well.

I don't use screen protectors. Have you guys ever had a problem with screen scratches? I haven't.

I have never used a screen protector on iPhones and it never occurred to me to get one for the iPad. Haven't had any scratches.

I've never had a problem with excessive glare - I use the thing as a approach plate holder essentially IFR, and the rest of the time for situational awareness

When I'm IFR in the soup there is no glare since there is no sun. When I'm in VFR I'm usually head outside so not being able to see it matters little - and I generally use it alot on the ground for taxi knowledge - and on the ground you can usually easily see the screen or move it to a position that you can eliminate the glare which may not be a position you want while flying . . .

The main issue with the screens is at night - you cannot dim them enough to avoid loss of night vision . . ..

Same here. Never needed them.

What are you guys doing you need screen protectors?

Using it as a sanding block? :dunno:

Case for the new phone came with one and the dude at the store put it on. iPads, no.

Picture attached of mount model that destroys Armorglas.

If you have a mini, here's a mount that won't hurt armorglass or any other film. You might not need it anyway since the clipboard rotates up to the top and acts as a very effective glare shield.

ipad-yoke-mount-quad.jpg

ArmorGlas Bites the Dust

Just to finish off this post...Armorglas continued to deteriorate...now has multiple cracks all the way across the screen. Peeled it off and my iPad is still fine.

And yes, I need antiglare. Cirrus has lots of light coming in and it's hard to see.

Put a plastic screen protector over Armorglas to protect it. :rofl:

Still vouch for the Moshi iVisorAG.

Not cheap, but easy to install, remove, clean and reinstall.

Clear on on my Mini around the house, anti-glare goes on for plane use.

Also got theit AG shield for my iPhone 6+. Cuts the glare dramatically at the fist of a slight "softening" of the screen image.

May post a comparison photo in just a few.

Last edited:
Still vouch for the Moshi iVisorAG.

Not cheap, but easy to install, remove, clean and reinstall.

Clear on on my Mini around the house, anti-glare goes on for plane use.

Also got theit AG shield for my iPhone 6+. Cuts the glare dramatically at the fist of a slight "softening" of the screen image.

May post a comparison photo in just a few.

Great tip, will give it a try. Just watched their video. You can take it off, wash it, and reapply?! :yes:

Just took this photo on my porch:

16421260987_2936ea2d7d_z.jpg

Left is iPad Mini Retina with Moshi Crystal Clear screen protector.

Right is iPhone 6+ with Moshi AG anti-glare screen protector.

Both showing WingXPro7.

From the OP - Wanted to close the loop on this. After my Amorglas broke, Sporty's and Armorglas realized indeed it doesn't work with the mount I used. Armorglas was great...they replaced the protector at no cost. I now use a different type of mount and am now an Armorglas believer again...highly recommended. It's the only product I've used so far where bubbles push themselves out and stay out. There may be others, but I can attest this is a great product.

From the OP - Wanted to close the loop on this. After my Amorglas broke, Sporty's and Armorglas realized indeed it doesn't work with the mount I used. Armorglas was great...they replaced the protector at no cost. I now use a different type of mount and am now an Armorglas believer again...highly recommended. It's the only product I've used so far where bubbles push themselves out and stay out. There may be others, but I can attest this is a great product.

You can get the same product at a fraction of the cost from Deal Extreme ( dx.com ).

It will take around three weeks to ship but you save a substantial amount of money...

http://www.dx.com/p/0-4mm-tempered-glass-film-screen-protector-for-ipad-mini-retina-ipad-mini-transparent-331946#.VZhFEnhUTLY

I highly recommend the X-Grip mount manufactured by RAM.

https://www.rammount.com/products/xgrip

Extremely easy to use, doesn't scratch your screen and it allows you to keep the iPad Smart Cover while using the mount...( big plus ).

RAM-HOL-UN8B-201U

I found the best solution is to put something in the panel that isn't a tablet, and made with non reflective glass. No mounts, no add ons, etc.

Ostriches.

Have ArmorGlas on my iPhone. Best screen protector out there, IMHO. Tried dozens over the years.

My favorite screen protector is the glass that comes with the phone/tablet. 3 years and no scratches. I think people are carrying around loose diamonds or carbide because not a lot scratches glass, therefore no need for a protector.

My favorite screen protector is the glass that comes with the phone/tablet. 3 years and no scratches. I think people are carrying around loose diamonds or carbide because not a lot scratches glass, therefore no need for a protector.

In the aviation application, I don't think it's about protection, but rather glare reduction. Agreed IMO, the iPad/iPhone needs no protection from scratches.

Yes, but this is about anti-glare. In some cockpits, especially low wings and canopies (think Cirrus, Diamond, Gruman), there's tons of light and you can't read the normal glass. This is about seeing, and not just protecting.

Regarding scratches, you are right. I have never seen a scratch. Screens are either perfect, or broken, in which case the glass has to be replaced.

I too like Armorglas for anti-glare and ease of application (no bubbles). But as pointed out above, there may be other cheaper alternatives that work just as well.

On a semi-related subject: has anyone found a temperature reducing mount for their ipad? I fly gliders on weekends, and my mini keeps overheating and shutting down. The cockpit is tight, so i have been using a knee mount and the sun shines right in. I was hoping by now that someone would have built a heatsink mount for ipads, but i cant seem to find anything.

Nope, not yet. I have the armor glass, works great. My plane is nothing but a glass bubble so tons of light and the iPad easy to read in direct light now BUT if it sits in the sun for more than 15 minutes it shuts off due to heat! :( Thinking of having a fan or something blowing on it, but that will start to complicate things. It's a back up for the garmin in my panel anyways but would be nice if it didn't overheat so easy. My Galaxy phone works fine in the heat... just saying Apple... :mad:

Back