Pirep: AOPA FlyQ EFB

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I had a quick trip up to KFAR this this evening to drop the Mrs off to help her folks for a couple of days. I decided it was time to evaluate AOPA's FlyQ EFB.

I have to say, I'm impressed. It has some of the key features I love about Garmin Pilot (split screens, integrated timer, graphical download selections) but they've done it without the frustrating menu. You have more direct access to features similar to the way ForeFlight does it.

I also like the way the implemented their approach chart feature...they have rotated the SIDs and STARs to be right-reading. ForeFlight let's you rotate them and remembers the rotation selection, but FlyQ has done it for you.

The biggest differentiator from GP and FF is the synthetic vision, which works great in split screen mode, allowing you to have the SV on one side and an en route or approach chart on the other.

The discounted price for AOPA members make it the least costly solution out there. They also have a bundle with the Dual ADS-B/GPS for $699 which looks pretty compelling. I'd love to hear some pireps on that unit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for the report, I just bought an Ipad and I was looking for some reports like this.

Thanks for the report, I just bought an Ipad and I was looking for some reports like this.

Definitely do the eval on FlyQ. Their Dual ADS-B bundle is a killer deal if your inclined to go that route.

Discovered another cool feature...you can underlay the synthetic vision with a chart. Pretty cool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 81
Another interesting use of split screen: one side for close up view of your track with a "Big Picture" view of the weather en route:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
If you need to divert for the weather, pop up the approach plate for the nearest airport...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 52
The only problem with it is that I have a BIG problem with encouraging AOPA to compete with aviation businesses. This is NOT their mission, in fact, it's completely opposite to what they should be doing.

The only problem with it is that I have a BIG problem with encouraging AOPA to compete with aviation businesses. This is NOT their mission, in fact, it's completely opposite to what they should be doing.

I have mixed feelings on that. I know where you're coming from, but they've provided many things you could argue compete with other aviation businesses, from insurance to pilot supplies. They've provided online flight planning products for many years and I see this as just an extension of that service.

You can also argue its just an additional value-added benefit to their membership since its a discounted subscription for members.

And don't forget, it was created by Seattle Avioncs, so an aviation business is competing with other aviation businesses. I would be surprised if there hadn't been discussions with some of the other developers of competitive product.

But was t it Seattle Avionics that killed runwayfinder.com?

Would be nice if they ported this to Android. Seems like the only decent Android solution is Pilot right now, and they could use some competition. At least the non-EFB version of FlyQ is available on Android and that seems half-decent (at least for weather/facilities).

(There is also naviator and skydemon, but the former is slow and tends to have menu navigation issues (it gets lost and you have to hit back 47 times to get to the main menu), and the latter seems to be lacking essential info like frequencies and other chart details.)

I tried FlyQ when it first came out and it kept locking up on me. I tossed it then. Are you running a full size or a mini? Can you read the split screen approach plate if it ison a mini?

Thanks for posting this. I did the FlyQ eval but unfortunately started it right before I had to take some time off flying, so I really only had a quick chance to look at it. I was impressed by what I saw of it though.

How was Flight Planning with FlyQ? Is it as intuitive and easy as it is with ForeFlight?

If you wouldn't mind, which of the four big players would you recommend (WingX, Garmin, FF, and FlyQ)? I realize they all have their pros and cons, but if you could only use one, which would it be? My FF subscription is up, and I am trying to decide if I should renew or switch. I am very happy with the Flight Planning and maps in FF, but feel that they are lacking behind the others with features such as Synthetic Vision and Virtual Instruments. I loved the split screen to FlyQ and the SV and VIs...

I have a BIG problem with encouraging AOPA to compete with aviation businesses.
Agreed. The issue as I see it is this:

The tablet flight planner market is well-served with great products and is intensely competitive. The majority of vendors' product development budgets are generated from sales, hence healthy sales are very important to the continuing improvement of these products.

The AOPA offering is undistinguished in any major way. Maybe some things are a little more to one person's taste than the way ForeFlight or WingX does things but that's about it. What will sell the AOPA product is AOPA's marketing muscle. Advertorials force-fed to members monthly, etc. The product would not be much more than a blip on the marketing radar without AOPA. The reason Seattle Avionics isn't marketing it on their own is that they know it is a me-too product, late to market, and on its own would not garner more than a single-digit % share.

AOPA has no interest in flight planners, dog treats, or wine. They are just out grubbing for money and they intend to use this product as another cash cow to feed the insiders' insatiable appetite. Hence, the revenue from the product will not benefit users to the extent that, for example, ForeFlight's revenue benefits users by supporting development. The result is that to the extent the AOPA product succeeds, it hurts all of us by slowing progress from the vendors who are the real players in the marketplace.

Said another way, user support of the AOPA product hurts everyone who wants to see these EFBs continue to improve.

To an extent, this argument could be used against any powerful new market entrant. Garmin, for example. The difference, though, is that AOPA is supposed to be helping pilots, not hurting them.

Seattle Avionics does all the geo-ref charts for everybody else.
I think we will see that change soon. ForeFlight et al will not willingly continue to send food to a competitor. They will bring the charts in-house or find another vendor.

Seattle Avionics has probably bet their company on AOPA at this point, though its not obvious that providing the charts was a defendable business anyway.

I tried FlyQ when it first came out and it kept locking up on me. I tossed it then. Are you running a full size or a mini? Can you read the split screen approach plate if it ison a mini?

I'm running full size. The split might be a challenge on a mini.

Thanks for posting this. I did the FlyQ eval but unfortunately started it right before I had to take some time off flying, so I really only had a quick chance to look at it. I was impressed by what I saw of it though.

How was Flight Planning with FlyQ? Is it as intuitive and easy as it is with ForeFlight?

If you wouldn't mind, which of the four big players would you recommend (WingX, Garmin, FF, and FlyQ)? I realize they all have their pros and cons, but if you could only use one, which would it be? My FF subscription is up, and I am trying to decide if I should renew or switch. I am very happy with the Flight Planning and maps in FF, but feel that they are lacking behind the others with features such as Synthetic Vision and Virtual Instruments. I loved the split screen to FlyQ and the SV and VIs...

I've been a hardcore ForeFlight devotee since the first time I tried it. WingX never felt right to me for some reason. FF is still the leader in intuitiveness, but FlyQ is giving it a strong run for its money.

I also like many of the features in Garmin Pilot, especially on the iPad, but their user interface is a stumbling block. It drives me crazy. But I don't count them out....they are innovative.

FlyQ also is very close to FF on ease of use in flight planning.

If I had to choose ONLY one today, despite my two year love affair with FF, I think I would have to go with FlyQ, especially with the member discount. (I'm one of those seemingly rare people on POA who still thinks AOPA is good for general aviation and a great clue.)

My biggest complaint about FlyQ (I haven't used it admittedly) is that it is iPad only so I couldn't use my iPhone as a backup should the need arise.

The discounted price for AOPA members make it the least costly solution out there. They also have a bundle with the Dual ADS-B/GPS for $699 which looks pretty compelling. I'd love to hear some pireps on that unit.

Where is this deal offered? I can't seem to locate it.

I see that, but I don't see where there is a bundle for $699 that includes the Dual XGPS170. Perhaps I need glasses! :D

I still haven't found it...maybe I misread. The unit can be had for $699. Perhaps the "Bundle" included the 30 day free trial! But I keep looking. Even put a call into Dual today but go voicemail.

I'm spending a LOT of time with all three apps (FF, GP, FlyQ) while I have the eval time on the later. One thing that really jumped out at me was the clarity of the VFR maps on FlyQ. It is remarkably sharper than either GP or FF. Seems with FF you can zoom in and out to try and improve clarity....sometimes it makes a significant difference. Other times, not so much.

Has anyone figured out how to get information out of FlyQ about restricted airspace? For example, I know that R-4006 has a floor of 3500 but I can't figure out where I would go in FlyQ to get that information.

Has anyone figured out how to get information out of FlyQ about restricted airspace? For example, I know that R-4006 has a floor of 3500 but I can't figure out where I would go in FlyQ to get that information.

I can't find a way to get that info, either. Major shortcoming if that's the case. Sent an e-mail to their support.

I can't find a way to get that info, either. Major shortcoming if that's the case. Sent an e-mail to their support.
I sent one last night, I was hoping that it was just me.:D

Back