PIREP – FltPlan.com “Flight Plan Mobile” Android App

airdale

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
airdale
I invested two or three hours playing with this app on my Nexus 7 yesterday. On the surface, it has a lot of promise. It will run stand-alone, but when a data connection is available it takes advantage of the large fltplan.com web site. For example, flight plans created on the site are downloaded to the app and available. As far as I can tell, though, there is no way to create a flight plan in the app and have it appear on the web site.

The app has an attractive and functional interface; fifteen large tiles, one for activating each major function. I won’t cover all fifteen but will hit some highlights:

“Maps” is a very basic implementation of what you would expect from any flight planner. Sectional, low altitude, and other basemap options, with overlay options. This module is buggy and unstable. Yesterday the app did not deal well with a failed download of some sectionals. The result was crashes and failure to render the sectionals basemap. The fix is for the user to figure out on his own that there is a download problem and to manually delete the incomplete file.

“NavLogs and WX” allows you get the typical fltplan.com verbose and cluttered reports for any of your stored flight plans. As far as I can tell, though, you can only get them if you have an open data connection or if you have manually downloaded them ahead of time.

“Approach Charts” gets you what you expect. Any plate if you have a data connection and any previously-downloaded plate if you do not. There is no integration with the flight plans, however, so you must key in the airport ID to see the list of available plates. This is an obvious place for better integration – why not provide a pick list of the airports shown in my stored flight plans?

“A/FD” is similar to “Approach Charts.” Basic. Again, no integration, so you have to type in an airport ID even if you have listed the airport on a flight plan.

“File/Brief” appears to be simply an interface to the web site via your browser, with no stand-alone capability. Hence, whatever you get will not be available in the air.

“Documents” is limited to accessing or downloading a tiny number of items – the Chart User’s Guide, AF/D Legend, and a few others. Too bad, actually, because it could easily have been a library application for any PDF that the user wanted to load.

“FltDeck Guide” is a rudimentary airport directory, again with no flight plan integration. It also provides simple phone directories for airlines, hotels, and rental car companies. “Simple” as in: Open the list and scroll down until you find what you want.

“Weight & Balance” was a huge disappointment for me. I have been looking for a good W&B app and this one’s interface is attractive. Unfortunately there is a major design flaw: You can only do W&B for airplanes that they have coded in their database and there is no mechanism for editing envelopes, fuel capacity, etc. to correct errors. Hence, you also cannot adapt an existing profile to make one that they do not offer

“Location WX” and “Route WX” are about what you’d expect. Again, not integrated with the flight plan list. Very minimal color coding, too. I have been spoiled for years by weathermeister.com. Almost any other weather presentation is inadequate when compared to that one.

“Tools” includes crosswind calculation, fuel weight to volume conversion, and F<->C temperature conversion. The crosswind calculator is another lost opportunity, not integrating with the flight plans and not initializing with current METAR information for the selected airport. Personally I don’t have much of a need for a crosswind calculator, but it seems like if you’re going to do one it should be a good one. This one is just a computerized version of the little plastic gadgets that Sporty’s sells.

Tech support is a good news/bad news story. The good news is that they were there on Saturday (presumably Sunday too) and responded to questions within an hour or two. The bad news is that they are lazy and go to great lengths to avoid answering simple direct questions. That’s why I said “responded to” rather than “answered.” The (two) responses consisted of canned messages pointing the user to their documentation and FAQ, which did not contain the answer. I’m sure this maximizes the time they have available to play video games, but it is not good customer service.

So … the concept is great, and the potential is there, but the implementation is just above primitive. I’ll check back in six months.

Somewhere on their site are instructions for how to request additional W&B envelopes be added. There is a form with the data you need to provide and an email address to send it to. I have not tried this, as I already have a W&B calculator that I like pretty well: Visual Aircraft Weight & Balance Calculator

Somewhere on their site are instructions for how to request additional W&B envelopes be added.
Yeah. I sent one a couple of days ago. The promise is they'll have it up in "2-5 weeks."

But taking this approach is still a dumb design decision. Essentially it is saying that they can be both omniscient and infallible, which is clearly not the case. It also means signing up for a lot of work and increased liability.

The only other reason I can see for the decision is that they wanted to discourage the experimental and small bugsmasher crowd from using their site because their advertisers are geared towards heavier equipment and turbine airplanes. They have plenty of bugsmashers on their list, though, so if that is the strategy it is not working.

Thanks for the detailed review. I downloaded it a while back and uncovered the lack of flight planning capability in the app and decided that was enough little piggy, off you go... Why in the world would they build an app for a mobile device and require you to go to a website to setup information for it? The app was a big miss for me...

Thanks for the detailed review. I downloaded it a while back and uncovered the lack of flight planning capability in the app and decided that was enough little piggy, off you go... Why in the world would they build an app for a mobile device and require you to go to a website to setup information for it? The app was a big miss for me...

Because the website came first and the app was added on. I expect that they will add features over time, but that they wanted to get something out.

... they wanted to get something out.
Exactly! There is a lot of "ready, fire, aim" programming right now as developers rush to market with poorly planned and sloppily implemented products. This is just one of the smaller examples.

Unfortunately, it is the user interface that suffers most. Programmers with no UI training or skills are, all over the world, implementing UIs that are intuitive to them and pretty-looking on their desktop computer screens. One guy likes action buttons at the lower right and the next guy puts them at the left. One guy's are round and he uses a lot of radio buttons. Then another guy likes square or rectangular buttons and uses mostly check boxes. Both guys are coding modules for the same app!

The place where we suffer most from this is in readability. Screen space is wasted on large black blocks with tiny gray or dark colored type in them. They are beautiful on the developers' 22" screens and unreadable on an N7 in a bright cockpit. Foreflight is no paradigm. Huge amounts of screen space are wasted showing unreadable thumbnails of approach plates, leaving the selection button labels small and hard to read.

In the specific case of Flight Plan Mobile, the obvious idea of making all the modules "talk" via the flight plans was totally missed in the rush to write code. The obvious idea of being able to create flight plans on the mobile device may or may not have been missed. It may have been a conscious design decision to drive people to the web site, in which case the app will flop as it did for Marauder. Or the idea may never have come up in the scramble to ship something.

BTW my W&B submission to fltplan.com was processed and added to their airplane list within a week, not several weeks as the site warned. The fact that this is needed is still dumb, but at least they are relatively quick.

Exactly! There is a lot of "ready, fire, aim" programming right now as developers rush to market with poorly planned and sloppily implemented products. This is just one of the smaller examples.

Unfortunately, it is the user interface that suffers most. Programmers with no UI training or skills are, all over the world, implementing UIs that are intuitive to them and pretty-looking on their desktop computer screens. One guy likes action buttons at the lower right and the next guy puts them at the left. One guy's are round and he uses a lot of radio buttons. Then another guy likes square or rectangular buttons and uses mostly check boxes. Both guys are coding modules for the same app!

The place where we suffer most from this is in readability. Screen space is wasted on large black blocks with tiny gray or dark colored type in them. They are beautiful on the developers' 22" screens and unreadable on an N7 in a bright cockpit. Foreflight is no paradigm. Huge amounts of screen space are wasted showing unreadable thumbnails of approach plates, leaving the selection button labels small and hard to read.

In the specific case of Flight Plan Mobile, the obvious idea of making all the modules "talk" via the flight plans was totally missed in the rush to write code. The obvious idea of being able to create flight plans on the mobile device may or may not have been missed. It may have been a conscious design decision to drive people to the web site, in which case the app will flop as it did for Marauder. Or the idea may never have come up in the scramble to ship something.

BTW my W&B submission to fltplan.com was processed and added to their airplane list within a week, not several weeks as the site warned. The fact that this is needed is still dumb, but at least they are relatively quick.

Programmers? PROGRAMMERS? YGBFSM!

Back