Pipistrel Panthera

Tmpendergrass

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tmpendergrass
While web surfing I came across the Pipistrel Panthera. I've heard if it before but never paid a lot of attention to pipistrel of the panthera. The first thing that stands out is the 200kts on 10 gph. That seems similar to a 2place lancair but with 2 extra seats. They also claim that it will be a "true 4 person airplane". I assume that statement references full fuel payload. It seems to good to be true but one of their 2 seaters does 140kts on 4gph and this company has one a lot of "green awards". Also in my humble opinion this is the best looking piston airplane ever built. It will be interesting what they offer the kits for. If the kits are reasonably priced I could see building one someday. They say that some kits will be delivered in 2014 so we should know more details soon and get some real world numbers. I think this is the kind of innovation that aviation needs.

I thought it was going to be a production plane, not experimental...?

I thought it was going to be a production plane, not experimental...?

Actually, I think its one of those deals where you can buy a certified version, or a kit.

And both versions will be made with bits of real panther.

The ideal combo would be to slap a JetA burning piston on that thing.

I wonder how the sales will break out - kit vs. production. It almost seems like they may be competing with themselves.

The ideal combo would be to slap a JetA burning piston on that thing.

:yeahthat:

I think the Panthera is a sexy plane. Clean composite lines, promises good speed, load and range with few compromises (though the reclining seats look a touch uncomfortable for long legs). However, I can't imagine buying a new piston plane that needs 100LL.

:yeahthat:

I think the Panthera is a sexy plane. Clean composite lines, promises good speed, load and range with few compromises (though the reclining seats look a touch uncomfortable for long legs). However, I can't imagine buying a new piston plane that needs 100LL.

Taken from Pipistrel's website:

Powered by the modern, yet proven and reliable Lycoming IO-390 engine, Panthera is the statement of efficiency – cruising at 200 kts with a fuel consumption of only 10 gallons per hour instead of the »usual« 17 gallons of the competition. The powerful, yet lightweight engine can run on unleaded fuel and is ready for the future!

Taken from Pipistrel's website:

Powered by the modern, yet proven and reliable Lycoming IO-390 engine, Panthera is the statement of efficiency – cruising at 200 kts with a fuel consumption of only 10 gallons per hour instead of the »usual« 17 gallons of the competition. The powerful, yet lightweight engine can run on unleaded fuel and is ready for the future!

What plane does 200kts on 17gph? If I got the kit I would definitely be putting the new Continental 230hp Diesel on it.

What plane does 200kts on 17gph? If I got the kit I would definitely be putting the new Continental 230hp Diesel on it.

Mooney Acclaim maybe, although I don't think it is quite 17gph. I definitely think the Panthera is a winner. I wish I could afford one!

I hope the kit price will be relatively affordable. If it's comparable to a rv-10 it will a real winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A word to the wise. Dont rush into a kit, or a plane from a former Soviet block country. They simply do not understand Americans and the way we do business. Customer service is non existent. The simpest parts take a year or more for delivery to repair your plane. Dont buy a kit or plane until they have been here selling planes for 10 years. And they have several parts depots in plane and fully stocked.

Don't be a Guinea pig, Don,t be stupid.

Ask me how I know. ;)

Last edited:
A word to the wise. Dont rush into a kit, or a plane from a former Soviet block country. They simply do not understand Americans and the way we do business. Customer service is non existent. The simpest parts take a year or more for delivery to repair your plane. Dont buy a kit or plane until they have been here selling planes for 10 years. And they have several parts depots in plane and fully stocked.

Don't be a Guinea pig, Don,t be stupid.

Ask me how I know. ;)

Pipistrel has been in business for a couple of decades selling to Western European customers.

Besides, the former Yugoslavia wasn't Soviet Block, they were always independent of Moscow. Slovenia was the wealthiest region of Yugoslavia and the first to declare it's independence. Slovenia is a modern western nation in every sense. I know because I was deployed there with IFOR in 1996.

Pipistrel has been in business for a couple of decades selling to Western European customers.

Besides, the former Yugoslavia wasn't Soviet Block, they were always independent of Moscow. Slovenia was the wealthiest region of Yugoslavia and the first to declare it's independence. Slovenia is a modern western nation in every sense. I know because I was deployed there with IFOR in 1996.

I know because I worked for the company. ;)

Knock your self out! Buy one! Just don't wreck it. ;)

I can't see myself buying one in the next few years. (Too expensive for me right now). I'm more excited to see innovation and not just old airframe designs with cool new gadgets. Every time I take a non pilot friend up, they are amazed that this thing that cost more than their house (when new) still has a carburetor, runs on leaded fuel, and is largely the same as an aircraft you could buy 40-50 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back