Piper Warrior Runway Overrun @ KANP (12/26)

BaltCoFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
EchoSierraSierra
Reports indicate that a Piper Warrior overran the departure end of runway 30 at Lee Airport in Annapolis, MD (KANP) after some type of power loss on the takeoff roll. The aircraft ended up in Beards Creek and the pilot was rescued by 3 kayakers. Anne Arundel County Fire responded and the pilot received non-life-threatening injuries. ASN reports the tail number as N1867H.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/305266

Luckily the kayakers were in the area. Hypothermia would be a major concern.

It was a cold day here today but bright and sunny dead calm and up on that river with a kayak skirt and the right clothing would have been a pretty fun paddle.

Last edited:
My God … who the hell is kayaking in this weather.
Saw an interview on the local news. A lot of people in that area have boats or kayaks and they were outside near their kayaks when they saw the crash. But yeah, like Pugs said it would have been a nice day for it aside from the temperature, and compared to the past few days the weather today was balmy!

The OP’s link says total loss (I assume they mean for insurance purposes).

From salvage perspective, I can see how a submerged engine/radios = worthless but what about the prop and any unbent aluminum? Does everything need to be stress tested or something? Tia

Glad to know the pilot is OK. I'm guessing he wasn't trying to make waves ...

That’s cold hearted.

The OP’s link says total loss (I assume they mean for insurance purposes).

From salvage perspective, I can see how a submerged engine/radios = worthless but what about the prop and any unbent aluminum? Does everything need to be stress tested or something? Tia
Can’t imagine the airframe is in good shape. Body camera footage came out on the local news today and they kayakers were more sitting on top of the ice than in the water. At least 1 gear strut came off (yeah it’s not huge but to me it’s an indication that the wreck is probably beat up) and I’m sure recovering the airframe would be e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e. Not sure if measures have been taken yet to deal with the fuel, but I’d imagine that would be top of mind for DNR/DOE.

The NSTB preliminary report came out a couple of days ago. The pilot's statements don't add up to me, as someone who's familiar with the club's checklists, the airplane, and Lee airport. The airplane was apparently recovered from the creek for further investigation.

I found a couple of errors in the report as well, which tells me not a lot of effort went into the preliminary report, at least. It gets the name of the airport wrong and also there's a misplaced word in a sentence...

The NSTB preliminary report came out a couple of days ago. The pilot's statements don't add up to me, as someone who's familiar with the club's checklists, the airplane, and Lee airport. The airplane was apparently recovered from the creek for further investigation.

I found a couple of errors in the report as well, which tells me not a lot of effort went into the preliminary report, at least. It gets the name of the airport wrong and also there's a misplaced word in a sentence...
Link?

Thanks so much! Completely agree that things aren't adding up here.

Type of flight plan filed: none? That's odd.

The comment about the frost also seems strange to me... if he was the first to fly the plane that day the covers should have been on which I would assume would prevent frost from forming on the wing- and if he wasn't, I would think there wouldn't be any frost since the plane would have been sitting in the sun. Weird.

Pitch from 63 to 79 should have occurred once above all obstacles, so approximately by 200 feet. To realize speed hasn't reached 70 knots at nearly 500 feet makes no sense, unless you are asleep for like 30 seconds. Also, where did 70 knots even come from? Is that written somewhere?

Pitch from 63 to 79 should have occurred once above all obstacles, so approximately by 200 feet. To realize speed hasn't reached 70 knots at nearly 500 feet makes no sense, unless you are asleep for like 30 seconds. Also, where did 70 knots even come from? Is that written somewhere?
Not only that speed hasn't reached 70 knots but has decayed to less than 60... yikes. I'm not quite sure where 70 came from for takeoff, either. That the pilot said that there was no change in engine noise also seems odd. It isn't as if performance would have been an issue in late December...

Back