Piper Warrior Approach Speed

HF17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HF17
The POH for the piper warrior says that there should be an initial approach speed of 70 KIAS and a final approach speed of 63 KIAS. Does anyone know exactly how an “initial approach” is defined? The way that I’m interpreting this is that you should slow to 70 KIAS when abeam the touchdown point and then slow to 63 KIAS once on final. Would this be correct?

fba6bea51102b1578c024780d4b6eccb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree w/ eman. But compare to your V speeds. I'll bet one is about 1.3 clean stall, and the other about 1.3 landing config stall. For me, I don't want to be slower than about 75k starting my turn to final. During final I'll slow down to about 60k crossing the numbers on a calm day. With a little bit of wind or gust, 65k. 60 is a little slow, for full gross, but I'm almost always flying light. Taper wing PA-28's like to float, especially if you're a little bit fast.

One is without flaps the other is with flaps.

The way that I’m interpreting this is that you should slow to 70 KIAS when abeam the touchdown point and then slow to 63 KIAS once on final. Would this be correct?

Not really correct or incorrect but a matter of technique.

Last edited:
The final flap setting slows the plane 5 knots. 70 knots - 25° flaps,
40° flap on mid final and you are at 65.

I was taught 90-80-70-65.

Downwind-base-final-over the numbers.

-Skip[/QUOTE

Concur...and at least on my '75, if you pulled another notch of flaps as you hit those numbers, virtually no trim change. Loved that little bird!

Jim

Last edited:
Back