piper rudder pedal pad

taters

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Taters
Hello guys
Have a Cherokee rudder pedal pad (rubber) that will just not stay on. What is a most effective adhesive for rubber onto metal?
Many thanks

I use 1300, clean it well and use a couple zip ties to hold it secure till the glue dries.

Mine have 2 machine screws through the middle with washers under the heads but the screw heads pulled through the pad on the passenger side.

1300 is contact cement. Better is 3M's 847 rubber cement.

Dan

Spitcan the pads, and use Rhino Liner. :stirpot:

Better yet, use windshield urethane. (the stuff used to install structural glass in cars) It will hold the pads in place untill the pedal rots out from behind them. Just give it about 24 hours to cure.

Last edited:
Yup, this. All Piper pedals at my flight school have two zipties holding the rubber on.

I wonder where they got authority to modify a flight control?

Hey! 12 whole posts before the Certified police showed up. Must be some sort of record.

Zip ties, though common, are a visible reminder that someone didn't care to fix the problem correctly.

I used aviation door seal contact cement, which has held now for several years.

JKG

Last edited:
Zip ties, though common, are a visible reminder that someone didn't care to fix the problem correctly.

I used aviation door seal contact cement, which has held now for several years.

JKG

:confused: How is that fixing it correctly? Fixing it correctly is buying a new pad and installing it. Not saying anything is ungodly in gluing it on, but it's no more correct than the zip ties.

Hey! 12 whole posts before the Certified police showed up. Must be some sort of record.

If that is typical of the maintenance they do, would you fly with them?

Wanna put your kids in that thing?

If that is typical of the maintenance they do, would you fly with them?

Wanna put your kids in that thing?

That's always the question these types of repairs opens up isn't it.... In and of itself, it's not bad, but what other hoaky repairs do they do on more important things not seen? It's the bane of being a renter pilot.

cleaned the hell out of the pad and the pedal.

used some 3M contact cement...applied several layers to the rubber and the metal....stuck it on with zip ties for pressure...like new this morning.
Thanks for replies

per above...my 180 has the ones that screw in.....these are just rubber....and I have seen people use zip ties to hold them on as a "fix"...how trashy:yes:

That's always the question these types of repairs opens up isn't it.... In and of itself, it's not bad, but what other hoaky repairs do they do on more important things not seen? It's the bane of being a renter pilot.

It's amazing experimentals get off the ground.

I know a lot of them that did not, they are setting in some abandon hanger/shop as a monument to a broken dream.

Depends on the level of workmanship, many don't as only a fraction ever get completed, a good few crash on their first flight, some are far superior to anything a factory builds; the rest are 'safe enough'... until someone's hoaky crap gets someone killed, evidence the John Denver crash fuel valve (yes, I know there's more pilot error there than build error, but not being able to reach the fuel valve was contributory.) That's why buying an experimental is the extreme example of Caveat Emptor. I've seen experimentals and even LSAs I would not get in to fly, and there are a couple of guys I know I would buy any plane they built sight unseen.

:confused: How is that fixing it correctly? Fixing it correctly is buying a new pad and installing it. Not saying anything is ungodly in gluing it on, but it's no more correct than the zip ties.

Why would I need a new pad if the old one isn't damaged? I would agree that if the old pad is damaged, fixing it right in this case should include a new pad.

The pads on my Cherokee were originally attached via adhesive, which simply released over time. The pads were not damaged. Reattaching in the same manner would be a proper fix. To my knowledge, zip ties were never used by Piper to attach the pads on new airplanes.

JKG

Why would I need a new pad if the old one isn't damaged? I would agree that if the old pad is damaged, fixing it right in this case should include a new pad.

The pads on my Cherokee were originally attached via adhesive, which simply released over time. The pads were not damaged. Reattaching in the same manner would be a proper fix. To my knowledge, zip ties were never used by Piper to attach the pads on new airplanes.

JKG

Hmmm, I though they had a lip around them that held them on....

Back