Piper Rudder AD comment time ends soon.

Magman

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Magman
A Notice of Proposed Rulemaking requiring mandatory replacement of rudders on Fabric covered has been published.

It would apply to items that are not made using 4130 steel. Approximately 30,000 aircraft are affected.

Estimated cost to do this is $3000.

If you feel there are other methods to address the issue you had best get your comment in soon.

Last edited:
If I were soliciting comments, I might consider including a link. That may not be your goal...you may be selling rudder pedals! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm trying to find that on the Federal Register. Shows up on GoogleFOO, but cannot access the Federal Register because Windows Edge and Apple Safari does not like the Federal Register security certificates.

I was searching for a proposed change to the West Palm Beach (PBI) Class C airspace and ran into the same "federal register security certificate" issue.

Sorry. I must be the last person on earth that cannot insert a link.

I’ll take that back. The folks in #2 & 3 are unable or unwilling also..

Google “ Piper Rudder Problems “ should get you there.

AOPA has a link also.

There is a difference between Rudders and Rudder Pedals.

NPRM is regarding the former.

No dog in this fight for me.

Just trying to let folks comment now to reduce crying later.

MOSAIC may impact many more people and has past the initial

deadline. The underwhelming response is only about

1/10 of 1 per of the pilot population. May be another round of

folks crying that Cessna 150‘s, Colts etc should be Light Sport.

Isn’t there something about wheels squeaking?

This A.D. proposal requires replacement of certain higher horsepower Piper tube & Fabric aircraft.

Over many decades the rag wing Pipers have had catastrophic rudder failure so the FAA finally decided to address the issue. Most of the Pipers in my neighborhood have already replaced the inferior rudders and installed the 4130 tubing rudders.

LINK:
Piper Rudder Replacement

LINK:
General Aviation News Article on the Topic w/ Pictures

I'm curious about Table 2. It includes low horsepower planes like the J-3 in column 1 then in column 2 says it applies to planes having 150+ HP and a rudder mounted beacon. To my knowledge there are no STC's that allow for a 150 hp engine in a Cub and I can't imagine anyone has done it. Is column 1 a standalone list of planes requiring a new rudder or is it modified by column 2?

Thanks, it appears that the PA-25, most built in the 1960s are not included. I am continuing to monitor the situation.

I'm curious about Table 2. It includes low horsepower planes like the J-3 in column 1 then in column 2 says it applies to planes having 150+ HP and a rudder mounted beacon. To my knowledge there are no STC's that allow for a 150 hp engine in a Cub and I can't imagine anyone has done it. Is column 1 a standalone list of planes requiring a new rudder or is it modified by column 2?

I read the table the same way you did at first. Later, I concluded that column 1 is not associated with what is listed in column 2. I sure hope that table gets revised before a final AD comes out or else there will be a lot of people incorrectly interpreting it.

I also hope the authors come up with a better plan for determining which rudders are bad and which ones are okay. At this point, any aircraft with poor or no documentation showing what rudder is on it is likely going to need a rudder. Thankfully I found a receipt showing the purchase of a Univair rudder for mine on the last rebuild or else I’d likely need to replace a rudder I know was previously replaced because I can’t prove what it is or where it came from.

There is a chemical test to determine type of steel.

Many folks favor inserting a tube from the bottom up vs replacement.

It would be good if anything other than replacement be incorporated in the AD

rather than trying to get an AMOC later.

Back