Piper Malibu Mirage in Pierre (10/23)

If there is a hiccup in the fuel control unit (think of the FCU like a mechanical computer precisely metering fuel to the engine based on certain 'conditions'), an uncommanded roll back of the fuel flow will cause the power reduction. If one is not quick on the manual over ride (MOR), it will be trouble at a low altitude.

A high px pump failure will do that in the PT-6. It happens, turbines are very reliable, but they aren't fail-proof. As highlighted above, FCU failures are also not unheard of in this engine type.

I’m confused as to why they landed out. ADS-B data showed they easily would have had the airport made. Pierre is non-towered, maybe there were other aircraft on the runway? Or maybe they were trying to spiral to lose altitude outside the pattern and got too low to get back?

Edit.. I'm an idiot. Yeah that makes less sense now... hmmmm. Still, the plane is generally intact, surprised that resulted in a fatal. Sucks.

1699382959299.png

1699383511137.png

Looking at that airport and trying to work out the best pattern entry from right over the river he may have been too high to get down landing opposite traffic from his departure runway (or opposing traffic factored in), but too low do any significant maneuvering to make it back.
That’s my thought as well. Too high to make a straight in, too low to do a 360. But with two runways, there were quite a few options, considering a downwind landing in that mix. Traffic is the big question with regard to that.

Edit.. I'm an idiot. Yeah that makes less sense now... hmmmm. Still, the plane is generally intact, surprised that resulted in a fatal. Sucks.
Remember, the 76 year old passenger could have had a heart attack or some type of medical event sometime within 30 days and it would have been attributed to the accident.

Back