Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Papa Foxtrot
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/small-plane-crashes-in-peachtree-city/ngWLF/

Pilot reported in critical condition.

plane_crash.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like he landed nose first,never a good thing. Hope he recovers.

"...person in his Piper LightSport when he crashed on Atlanta Regional Airport runway 31 ...."

that picture doesn't look like any runway i've landed on - it's kind of curvy and i'm not sure but he probably shouldn't have crossed the double yellow line

"...person in his Piper LightSport when he crashed on Atlanta Regional Airport runway 31 ...."

that picture doesn't look like any runway i've landed on - it's kind of curvy and i'm not sure but he probably shouldn't have crossed the double yellow line

I'm pretty sure that fence in the background is the boundary fence on the north side of the airport. Just guessing, I wonder if he tried to horse it over the fence and "lawn darted" it into the shoulder of the road. Not sure how he wound up in that predicament, as he had almost 6k feet of asphalt and another 600 ft of grass before he got to the fence. Should be plenty of time to figure out that you have a problem and abort. In a way, he's lucky fate intervened. After the fence, options rapidly disappear as there's about 900 ft of golf course and then trees and lake.

The NTSB report should be interesting.

If he went down between Lake McIntosh park and that Planterra ridge golf club, he had no options to his left and a patch about 30 degrees to the right and TDK blvd 90 degrees to the right.

I can't see the curved road with the double strip from the photo in the story on google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3610718,-84.5798337,3448m/data=!3m1!1e3

news_06-29-14_plane-crash-PTC.jpg

Last edited:
If he went down between Lake McIntosh park and that Planterra ridge golf club, he had no options to his left and a patch about 30 degrees to the right and TDK blvd 90 degrees to the right.

I can't see the curved road with the double strip from the photo in the story on google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3610718,-84.5798337,3448m/data=!3m1!1e3
Well, from the threshold of Rwy 31(not including the displaced chevrons) to the fence, he had over 6,400 ft. If you've used up half of that in an LSA and you haven't gained enough altitude to clear the trees a half mile ahead of you....

I'm pretty sure that's TDK Blvd - the road between the airport and Planterra Ridge.

That's where it is. Zoom in and you can see the barb topped fence that is in some of the news photos.
Looks like the google map version is prior to them painting the double yellow line.
For some reason, Google Earth imaging is more up to date and shows the road striping.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

It was a bit worse than that...

wrecked-plane-four.jpg

See how the wing skin popped off the rivets? I never did like that plane for all the hollow core rivets, they just don't have the strength or durability I want holding an airplane together.

So it was an aborted takeoff, he set it down hard nose first off the end of RW31, collapsed the nose gear and came to rest on the road. Or set it down in the dirt and the nose wheel snagged on a rut and came to rest on the road.

See how the wing skin popped off the rivets? I never did like that plane for all the hollow core rivets, they just don't have the strength or durability I want holding an airplane together.

I think you're seeing the door of the wing locker which is secured with dzus fasteners. The SportCruisers I've seen do not have "hollow" core rivets.

Dwayne

I think you're seeing the door of the wing locker which is secured with dzus fasteners. The SportCruisers I've seen do not have "hollow" rivets.

Dwayne

The one I saw was a rebranded Czech plane that used all hollow core rivets.

The one I saw was a rebranded Czech plane that used all hollow core rivets.

Are you sure it wasn't an "Aerotrek"? They most definitely use hollow core rivets. You have to silicone seal the rivets above the cabin area or everything can get wet.

So it was an aborted takeoff, he set it down hard nose first off the end of RW31, collapsed the nose gear and came to rest on the road. Or set it down in the dirt and the nose wheel snagged on a rut and came to rest on the road.

Do you see the damage to the wing? The engine is torn loose from its mounts.

This wasn't a "nose wheel snagged on a rut". The aircraft was more than a few feet off the ground, nosed in and hit hard.

RV-7.... ALL the wing skins ripped off the SOLID rivets.....

High energy impacts will do that....:sad::sad::sad:

Attachments

• RV-7 crash 010.jpg
    RV-7 crash 010.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 43
  • RV-7 crash 016.jpg
    RV-7 crash 016.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 36
  • RV-7 crash 025.jpg
    RV-7 crash 025.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 23
  • RV-7 crash 026.jpg
    RV-7 crash 026.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 19
RV-7.... ALL the wing skins ripped off the SOLID rivets.....

High energy impacts will do that....:sad::sad::sad:

I was thinking about the RV-7 deal while looking at the Piper. The damage isn't as severe, but it's clear the Piper hit the ground at a significant nose down orientation, and it hit hard.

Those sport cruisers are by far the worst flying plane I've ever flown, the roll to pitch sensitivity is way off, plus having a BRP (see jet ski) engine doesn't bring my confidence level up much, 1.5ish hrs was enough for me.

Speedy recovery.

Those sport cruisers are by far the worst flying plane I've ever flown, the roll to pitch sensitivity is way off, plus having a BRP (see jet ski) engine doesn't bring my confidence level up much, 1.5ish hrs was enough for me.

Speedy recovery.

Not a fan of the plane, but BRP makes good engines, always have. The Rotax 4 stroke aircraft engines have proven nothing but good. If you want to dis them by calling them 'jet ski' engines, all I can say is "You can only wish that your aircraft engine is as durable as our jet ski engines."

Not a dis, BRP is much more of a jet ski, snow machine and ATV engine builder than a aircraft engine builder.

Not a dis, BRP is much more of a jet ski, snow machine and ATV engine builder than a aircraft engine builder.

Please, elucidate on the differences. BTW, BRP also makes Locomotive engines as well as Lear Jets, Challengers, and RJs that airlines fly.

There are more Rotax engines flying world wide than another engine. The 912 series has proven itself with the test of time.

Please, elucidate on the differences. BTW, BRP also makes Locomotive engines as well as Lear Jets, Challengers, and RJs that airlines fly.

It's not quite in the same ball park as a turbine.

I'd say the piston engines more closely resemble their ATV cousins.

But they make decent power and are cheap, which is good.

And they are reliable to boot, so I'm just not seeing the aversion.:dunno: BTW, I'd rather lose the engine at 4500' in plane that carries a 912 or 914 than to lose my engine towing a surfer into the big waves.

Please elaborate.

Please elaborate.

Reasonable analogy, I have no problem with how they build their ATV engines which see far more abuse than any aircraft engine (I love airplane people worry about 'shock cooling' when we drive motorcycle and ATV engine from full hot to underwater :rofl:) and hold together running and running and running with nothing but neglect for service.

Reasonable analogy, I have no problem with how they build their ATV engines which see far more abuse than any aircraft engine (I love airplane people worry about 'shock cooling' when we drive motorcycle and ATV engine from full hot to underwater :rofl:) and hold together running and running and running with nothing but neglect for service.

Same question, how is a 912 like a Sea Doo engine? Especially in a manner that is negative as regards use in an airplane? That seems to be the premise of the argument.

Same question, how is a 912 like a Sea Doo engine? Especially in a manner that is negative as regards use in an airplane? That seems to be the premise of the argument.

They both run at high relative load for most of the time they are running, however the SeaDoo engine runs at a much higher load relative to displacement. There is no negative between a modern 4 stroke SeaDoo engine, they are some of the most rugged engines I come across.

They both run at high relative load for most of the time they are running, however the SeaDoo engine runs at a much higher load relative to displacement. There is no negative between a modern 4 stroke SeaDoo engine, they are some of the most rugged engines I come across.

You are not the one asserting that there is an issue. /me scratches head.

Back