Piper Jet spotted

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
I took a student down to Des Moines this morning so he could do his 3 solo landings at a controlled airport. I called up the tower to see if i could stand in the cab to watch. They let me up and it was pretty cool to get to listen in on the radio and visit with ATC while watching him do his landings. Another cool thing was that apparently the Piper Jet had been down at Des Moines Flying Service, the midwest Piper Dealer. All the tower guys were kind of excited about it, and he took off and did a couple low passes before heading out to indiana for its next stop. pretty sharp looking airplane, kinda cool to see it fly.

I took a student down to Des Moines this morning so he could do his 3 solo landings at a controlled airport. I called up the tower to see if i could stand in the cab to watch. They let me up and it was pretty cool to get to listen in on the radio and visit with ATC while watching him do his landings. Another cool thing was that apparently the Piper Jet had been down at Des Moines Flying Service, the midwest Piper Dealer. All the tower guys were kind of excited about it, and he took off and did a couple low passes before heading out to indiana for its next stop. pretty sharp looking airplane, kinda cool to see it fly.

Did you happen to see/remember the tail number? It be neat to watch on flgihtaware where it's going next, assuming it isn't blocked.

I think it was headed to Muncie, IN. but it was flying VFR. controllers were a bit surprised by that too.

I think it was headed to Muncie, IN. but it was flying VFR. controllers were a bit surprised by that too.

Munice Aviation is major Piper dealer. They supply the display Piper planes at Oshkosh and elsewhere. It may be rare to find a Piper dealer who can afford to buy ramp inventory.

Talked to a couple of dealers yesterday about a King Air B-200 that needs a home. They both said that both Beech and Cessna finance divisions sent blanket emails to their customers recently. The good news is that their floor-plan lines of credit are unchanged as a result of the credit crunch. The bad news is that they can't use them until further notice.

The bottom line is that unless the dealers have access to local bank lines (which most don't due to the size of the airplanes they finance) they expect little, if any, dealer absorbtion of existing inventory even at wholsesale prices. That might be academic anyway, since few buyers seem anxious to purchase now at any price and dealers aren't anxious to buy airplanes and watch their calculated margins disappear overnight.

Here's the current V-Ref blurb:

Piston Singles and Twins
- - At a time when reduced fuel costs should be boosting sales, owners are
very reluctant to endure the myriad of other costs, and they are putting their planes up for sale. Aircraft
brokers in this segment estimate the number of listings to be nearly double from one year ago. As always,
the exception is the creampuff airplane. Those with new paint and interior, zero since major overhaul and a
new Garmin panel continue to attract buyers. Most of the deals reported do not have a loan involved. The
export market for pristine, late model Cessna Skyhawks remains ‘still ok,’ but just about everything else is slow.
All Vref piston indices are at historic lows. The Vref Light Single Index shed 10.8% of its value. Complex singles fell 10.6%.

Munice Aviation is major Piper dealer. They supply the display Piper planes at Oshkosh and elsewhere. It may be rare to find a Piper dealer who can afford to buy ramp inventory.

Last edited:
Whew! At first I thought the graffiti guys had jumped the airport fence. :goofy:

-Skip

Attachments

• spotted.jpg
    spotted.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 61
I saw the Piper Jet at AOPA Expo and talked to the pilot. He said he would be making his way back to Florida by way of a few dealers. He didn't look over 30 to me and I thought "what a cool job."

I saw the Piper Jet at AOPA Expo and talked to the pilot. He said he would be making his way back to Florida by way of a few dealers. He didn't look over 30 to me and I thought "what a cool job."

he sounded pretty young on the radio

Back