Piper down in Hudson-both rescued.

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
http://news.yahoo.com/2-rescued-small-plane-crash-hudson-river-023446597.html
The small plane was carrying a man and a woman on a sightseeing trip, and crashed about 5:20 p.m., Yonkers Police Lt. Phil Collins said. The two were wearing life vests and were able to get out of the plane before it sank, Collins said.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen described the plane as a Piper PA-32. The plane was registered to Dominick Lipariti, of Manalapan, N.J., according to FAA records. A man who answered the telephone at Lipariti's home told The Associated Press that it was his son's plane and that it had been sold to someone else. He declined to identify the buyer.

I've flown this scenic flight a few times in the past year. Just last week I gave my daughter and her husband this tour as a wedding gift. After the flight, I was thinking (wonder if I should have provided PFDs).

After seeing this on the news and realizing that these two probably only survived because they were wearing them, I've decided to purchase one for myself and passengers before my next flight.

Flying that low in the SFRA leaves you no option but the river. No chance of gliding to a suitable landing spot!

Last edited:
I've decided to purchase one for myself and passengers before my next flight.[/QUOTE said:
Great move sir! I hope we all learn from this and take proper precautions :yes:

Flying that low in the SFRA leaves you no option but the river. No chance of gliding to a suitable landing spot!

Nope, not many suitable spots there unless you want to end up on the Westside Highway, train tracks, or another nasty spot. At least there are numerous rescue options nearby, and the radio frequencies are well monitored.

Nope, not many suitable spots there unless you want to end up on the Westside Highway, train tracks, or another nasty spot. At least there are numerous rescue options nearby, and the radio frequencies are well monitored.

Yes that's true.

When I saw the passenger (news said student) on TV tonight, he sounded like his lawyer probably told him not to say "engine failure".:dunno:

Last edited:
I caught recordings of the mayday and most of the incident response on the LiveATC feeds I run in the NYC area, and compiled a recording of the incident:

Well, my Malibu might float for longer after a water landing when my engine quits.

I caught recordings of the mayday and most of the incident response on the LiveATC feeds I run in the NYC area, and compiled a recording of the incident:

Thanks.

Great job by the pilot! Her mayday call probably did more than anything else to get them the quick help that they needed.

The small plane was carrying a man and a woman on a sightseeing trip, and crashed about 5:20 p.m., Yonkers Police Lt. Phil Collins said.

I wondered what he was doing since he left Genesis.:)

Back