Piper Cub flying lesson at Red Stewart Airfield

Thanks for that! I'm planning on going down to red stewart next summer and building some stearman time. I need 50 to meet my friends insurance time to fly my buddy's travel air and help him out ride hopping. I have about 400 total and 300 tail wheel. Most of its in my Tcraft, the rest in other small similar taildraggers such as J5, L3, Champ, Chief, Stinson 108 and Hatz.. They've all been doll's to fly so far. The champ has been the easiest to fly so far, with none of them being too difficult. And the J5 was my favorite, I flew it from Michigan to California. I did my recreational in my Tcraft and most of my commercial too.

And a 7ac champ solo from the back is a lot of fun too!

Better Save this too. If your really competent in say a champ or a cub, a Stearman will not be a hard transition except in a cross wind. Simply look at the gear on a Stearman and the height of the lower wing to the ground. Then see how much more aircraft is exposed to a cross wind. ( a cessna 195 is as difficult in a crosswind or more so) I've never found an airport that rents a Stearman in the fourty years I've flown without a seasoned pilot in the other seat. Some years back everyone learned in a taildragger so this type conversation would have been laughable. Today the average pilot with low hours in only a trike would be hard pressed to even find many competent tail wheel instructors much less rent something like a Stearman. ( during WW2 Stearman training was usually done in a big circle , with the wind sock in the center so the student was always landing into the wind. ) pilots I flew in my Stearman who had flown them in WW2 said there were many many accidents in both the Stearman and the T6 both in TOS and landings. I shall close by saying the most boring tail wheel aircraft I owned was a cub. The two best were the Stearman and an F model Luscombe. One I did not own but flew some and really liked was a 180 cessna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I read the title as "Rod Stewart Airfield" and then started singing "If you want my money . . . " in my head. What a goof. Then I read the ensuing discussion of Cubs and it all made sense. :yesnod:

I love all airplanes don't get me wrong, but ~$100,000.00 for a plane I can outrun in my Ford?

I don't see any Cubs going for $100k unless you're talking about the new Cub Crafters S2 in which case you'd have to tell me what you think a new C170 would go for?

But yes Cubs are slightly overpriced against their contemporaries, mainly Champs and yes, that is pure nostalgia. Part of it is the clamshell door that is splendid fun on a sunny summer afternoon but sucks in all other conditions and part of it is that so many old guys, myself included, learned to fly in a Cub. I went through life with an unfounded hatred of Champs until I stumbled upon one about 8 years ago for a price I couldn't refuse. Then I saw the light, it's WAY mo' betta :)

Whatever the market will bear. Lots of Cubs are worth well over $100K. I sold my last one a few years ago for $100K. My next one will be experimental and the build cost will be around $135K without labor. New Carbon Cubs are $200K plus. Huskies and Top Cubs are closer to $250K. And they sell. The experimental Cub that won Valdez this year is for sale right now for $275K. Step on up, boys. Get you some.

My mistake, I thought we were talking about J3's

I frequently shoot ten or more landings per hour in my Cub. I've lost count of how many I've done in over 500 hours in a Cub. I have just under 1400 hours in tailwheels. Learned in a Cub. Still enjoy flying one. Flew mine 1.3 hours today. Had to change the oil today. I've put 50 hours on it since mid-April annual. :)

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Back