Piper Comanche gear warning question

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I have a 1959 Piper Comanche and it seems to me the gear warning should sound when I throttle back to remind me to drop the gear. Currently it will only sound when I throttle back and then drop the gear. It will start to sound when the gear is in transition and stop when down. Is this correct?

Absolutely not!

I flew a 59 also that you could just barely hear the Gear Horn. While on jacks!!

Also very dim warning light. There is a Piper SB to add a resistor in parallel to fix.

With gear up, the horn should sound at roughly 15". The switch is on the throttle linkage. My guess is either it's dirty or there is a dodgy connection that gets closed by the wind when the gear door opens. My gear horn is loud enough that it rattled my CFI during a BFR, " What the h*** was that?!"

Sounds like the gear and throttle microswitches are misrigged, and maybe dirty or oily and with loose connections to boot. Not unusual for airplanes not getting gear swings at every annual. The throttle should be marked, during the pre-inspection runup, at the specified MP for horn actuation, and confirmed during the gear swing.

Normally I will have the Owner in the cockpit for the Emergency Extension.
Not all can do it. I had one guy land part Gear Up as a soda can got crunched .
What if it was a beer can?

Back