Piper Comanche 400......Thoughts?

I have one, but I'm not in Florida. I haven't had any parts issue. I also have a shop next door to my A&P I just need to give them a drawing and they can make anything I need out of nearly any material. So I will just go the owner produced parts route if there's something so rare out there it doesn't exist - which isn't the case no matter what the naysayers claim.

Make it to Gastons/6Y9 or other fly-ins and I'd be happy to poison your soul.

Awesome! Do they use 3D printing?

Awesome! Do they use 3D printing?

Water jet cutting and milling machine. I forget how thick they can go, but I saw a pretty good sized machined piece out of a billet of aluminum. If I need anything made, I just give em a call. They did my right side instrument panel for me after I gave them a CAD drawing of it.

There are a couple very valuable resources for Comanche parts. One is Webco, the other is Matt Kurke at Comanchegear.com. Matt's come through for me big time with a flap motor. I think he still has his 400.

There are a couple very valuable resources for Comanche parts. One is Webco, the other is Matt Kurke at Comanchegear.com. Matt's come through for me big time with a flap motor. I think he still has his 400.

Flap motor. Psh. You people and your new fangled electronics! I still have and love the manual flaps.

Flap motor. Psh. You people and your new fangled electronics! I still have and love the manual flaps.

I'm secure enough in my manhood to allow electrons to adjust the flaps for me.

I think Piper Comanche's are beautiful, unfortunately I don't know someone with one so I can't bum a ride. Are parts hard to find with the 250/260?

I've had my 260B for coming up on 10 years. LOVE the plane. Best bang GA plane for the buck. Never had an issue getting parts. Comanches look best in the air..

Saw a gorgeous Comanche 400 at Osh. I don’t know anything about that plane beyond the 720 being an absolute monster for a plane that size. I like Comanches in general and was looking at a few before I bought my 182RG. Absolutely no expertise other than it looks cool and makes loud airplane noises.

Saw a Queen Air with the IO-720 conversion on Beaver Island yesterday morning. Watched it takeoff. What a beast that motor is.

Who flew that L39 into the wall

That's another story. Owner is trying to get his engine repaired and balanced. The back of the airplane "unclips" and comes off to access the engine. I wish my Aztec, with its 10,000 cowl screws was as easy to open up. :mad: However, I wouldn't want to trade places with the L39 owner - like a lot of old airplanes it's cheaper to buy another flying L39 than it is to try to get an engine fixed. :(

That's another story. Owner is trying to get his engine repaired and balanced. The back of the airplane "unclips" and comes off to access the engine. I wish my Aztec, with its 10,000 cowl screws was as easy to open up. :mad: However, I wouldn't want to trade places with the L39 owner - like a lot of old airplanes it's cheaper to buy another flying L39 than it is to try to get an engine fixed. :(
you don't have the STC for the cowl?

I'd love....

Aztec
Comanche 400
powered parachute or something akin. perhaps a SLOW LSA flying boat

but i can't keep on top of three planes (maybe not even 1!), so unless I find like 2-4 partners that want the same three planes I do...

you don't have the STC for the cowl?

Yes, I bought the STC and did the lower cowl modification. It was the first "upgrade" after I bought the plane - right after I had to remove and reinstall the lower cowls for the second time. Piper, ya gotta love 'em. :D One of the best investments I've made in the plane imo. Instead of 10,000 screws per side, I now have only 10,000 screws in total to remove all the engine cowls. ;)

I'd love....

Aztec
Comanche 400
powered parachute or something akin. perhaps a SLOW LSA flying boat

Somewhere in there should be a Beech Staggerwing. :cool:

Yes, I bought the STC and did the lower cowl modification. It was the first "upgrade" after I bought the plane - right after I had to remove and reinstall the lower cowls for the second time. Piper, ya gotta love 'em. :D One of the best investments I've made in the plane imo. Instead of 10,000 screws per side, I now have only 10,000 screws in total to remove all the engine cowls. ;)

Somewhere in there should be a Beech Staggerwing. :cool:

I tried to get dual in the one in Vegas, but couldn’t make the schedule work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back