Piper Aztec vs Twin Commander

Cmercado

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Charlie M
Hi guys,

Looking for real world experience operating both planes. I have flown aztecs and really like them. No experience with Twin Commanders yet. Maintenance, operating costs, ADs?

Any input will be usefull.
Thanks!

Twin Commanders come in a variety of flavors with various engines and STC mods. Some have some very expensive engines and ADs, some are not so bad. All of them though will be more to operate than an Aztec. I would still like a Shrike though.

Owned a 520 for many years. Lovely plane. They can do pretty much anything - they're a SUV, a pilot's plane, a bush plane, a cabin class twin all rolled into one. They can haul anything and land anywhere. The 500A or 500B models are bulletproof, which is also reflected in their used prices - they keep their value because those who know, know. I have nothing bad to say about them. In fact, I'm going back to a Commander (albeit turbine) from an Aerostar because I missed them so much.

No experience with the Aztec, but I've heard they're good haulers.

I flew the Shrike today.... My life is not going to be the same from now on.....

Its a lady on wings....... Taxing it its another story.....

. Taxing it its another story.....

Absolutely. However, once you have the trick, it stays with you. :)

Im in the hunt for a good 500B. IO-540's NA is fine.

OEI is a non-issue with that big tail.

First flew one (IIRC a 560) with my grandfather. You;ll not get over it...I never did.

Now I know why they have such a cult following...
I want one, I need one... Now I know what love at first sight is.....:D:D:D

Twin Commander won't fit into a T hangar, if that matters to you.

Spur Aviation in TWF operates around 15 or more Aero Commanders. They are phasing out the Shrikes in the next year or so as the BLM wants all turbines so there will be several really well equipped and maintained Shrikes coming to the market soon. Don

Now I know why they have such a cult following...
I want one, I need one... Now I know what love at first sight is.....:D:D:D

I see you live in Puerto Rico. Put that Commander on floats!!! :D:D Anybody know if that's ever been done?

Spur Aviation in TWF operates around 15 or more Aero Commanders. They are phasing out the Shrikes in the next year or so as the BLM wants all turbines so there will be several really well equipped and maintained Shrikes coming to the market soon. Don

Thanks Don. I will check them out..

Back