Piper Arrow III annual cost

when you have shopped around and found some one to do it that cheap only proves one thing.

That they aren't a rapist?

My guy is a 2nd gen A&P IA and his assistants are his brother (part-time), his (home schooled) 16 year old kid who has been working with him for at least the last 4 years and will be a 3rd gen A&P IA as soon as he's old enough, along with his second oldest son who does all the menial stuff around the shop.

I didn't even need to shop around. He quit working for a Class C FBO (that's now part of Signature) and opened his own shop right on our field.

Last edited:
There are proper aircraft jacks for the job. -- when you have been thru an annual or 2 you should know what parts are needed and have them on hand, you should know you'll need tires and have them already.
I know a few that have 40 drawer organizers full of small parts that make AS&S envious

Think that's how you jack a seaplane Tom. Way safer, way stronger than any other point on amphibs.

"1975 Arrow II. Base Annual Inspection 15 hrs @ $55/hr = $825."

Those hours seem about right and should include routine servicing that is normally done at annual. Shop rates are going to vary considerably depending on where you live and whether you take it to a repair station, dealer, or small shop. Squawks are always extra.

Shop rates run $75/hr here and every shop is completely booked all the time. Just as a comparison.

I have asked around and slowly started buying tools that are required to do an annual. I own a bore scope, jacks, and compression test kit. I try to be self sufficient and when the mechanic comes to my hangar the airplane is jacked up, panels removes, and ready for him to do his thing.

Don, he did the prepuchase. I fixed some things so I was more concerned about getting those done. The plane is in annual now, only a couple of minor squawks. While I might have appeared to be uninformed this issue only arose when a friend commented about the coat of his annual. I am a professional and try not to get into other people's business but this was enough to ask this question.

Your Independent -IA not working in a FBO is always your best deal.
When you stop to realize that the Arrow requires a gear swing. and the equipment to do that, the pubs, travel time, and having the aircraft in your own hangar while all this happens is worth every cent, no matter what they charge.

The mechanics I've been using is owned by a Part 135 charter company. I tried smaller "mom and pop" type shops but they always got side tracked on other projects and were disorganized and availability was terrible. This company that I've used, although very expensive, has a receptionist and can tell me exactly when I can bring the plane and exactly when the plane will be done. However, they're overpriced as I've learned from this thread and I need to start searching.

My annual on a T Arrow was 24 hours base @ 90.00

They do a combination of both. I'd say its 50/50 between turboprops and pistons

They do a combination of both. I'd say its 50/50 between turboprops and pistons
Interesting...I have no idea why they are so expensive, I guess because you all pay the price and don't question them.

Back