Piper Arrow - Are front seats interchangeable?

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Are the pilot and co-pilot front seats interchangeable?

I don't know if this is universally true, but in my experience with the Arrow I owned, they were interchangeable. At least sufficiently interchangeable that I sometimes found them swapped after annual inspections.

It has been years since the Arrow was sold. The front seats would accidentally get swapped. but IIRC there were levers or handles that would be on the wrong side. Legally, I don't know if they could be switched per the type certificate.

Yes, "interchangeable" as in "the copilot seat will physically mount in the pilot spot and vice-versa". But the recline levers will be jammed up against the sidewall and unusable if you do that, so if you're considering a replacement seat, you don't want to end up with two pilot seats or two copilot seats.

There are also minor differences in seats. I don't know if they were by model year or by purchased option or what, but for instance in my PA28 the pilot seat has a height adjustment mechanism, but the copilot seat does not. I've also seen seats with headrests and seats without, etc.

Bottom line is, all PA28 seats mounts might fit all PA28 seat tracks, but the seats themselves are not all identical.

The reason I’m asking is I am having my seats worked on, the dead seat cushion to be fixed. So I had the co-pilot seat fixed already, and I want to fly but the pilot seat has not been fixed yet, but I prefer to fly in the pilot seat since I’m used to it and I have the brakes there. I have flown in the co-pilot seat before and used the parking brake hand lever but I do not prefer to do this right now.

But anyway I did install the co-pilot seat in the pilot seat position and flew, and no issues. My seat does not adjust by any means, just the lever to move the seat position forward and backwards (closer / further to the yoke), so I believe they are very similar if not the same.

Back