Piper Apache for sale: $19,000

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
I ended up keeping her for another year and building XC and hood-time. Here's a link to some pictures from the 1st:

http://imgur.com/a/DRNpZ

She's coming out of annual this week. Engines/Props checked out fine, PM for details, etc. She's currently based out of Waukegan, IL (KUGN)

What do all those leevers, switches and knob-thingys do between the front seats?

Is the fellow in the striped shirt your gear inspector?

What a neat plane to view! Thank you for sharing.
Your copilot looks sad to hear its leaving.

What a neat plane to view! Thank you for sharing.
Your copilot looks sad to hear its leaving.

The goal is to get a down payment for a plane with more seats. I think he'll be upset at first, but when the next best thing shows up he'll forget all about it. ^_^

What do all those leevers, switches and knob-thingys do between the front seats?

Not sure if serious, but the six levers on top are: engines, props, mixture. The two just below that in orange are carb heat. Below that the one that looks like flaps is the flaps switch. The one that looks like a wheel on a stick controls the wheels on the sticks. The red knob below that is the emergency hydraulic hand-pump. =)

I'm sure your going to miss it when it's gone got rid of my Travelair and still wish I hadn't .

I'm sure your going to miss it when it's gone got rid of my Travelair and still wish I hadn't .

Indeed, but that's only if I manage to sell her somehow. It sucks being an honest person when you're trying to sell a plane. =) A year of casual sales attempts has resulted in only one pre-buy (which ended up with almost exactly the amount of work I suggested it would). I usually talk people out of buying my plane.

I'm an engineer, not a salesman.

I really like the inside of that Apache. Cool layout, and all the retro knobs and levers are neat!

Not sure if serious, but the six levers on top are: engines, props, mixture. The two just below that in orange are carb heat. Below that the one that looks like flaps is the flaps switch. The one that looks like a wheel on a stick controls the wheels on the sticks. The red knob below that is the emergency hydraulic hand-pump. =)

Hehe,,, nah it was just some commentary on the vintageness of the controls. Just bumping your for sale.

What are the times on the engines and the airframe?

Last edited:
that's what we did a few years ago. Bought an aztec for about this same price. Sold the props, my partner and I split the engines, scrapped most of the rest after selling a few other parts. In the end I would up with a spare O-540 for the pawnee for around $4000

I've only ever flown a Geronimo, what does a stock Apache honestly cruise at and what's the fuel burn ?

that's what we did a few years ago. Bought an aztec for about this same price. Sold the props, my partner and I split the engines, scrapped most of the rest after selling a few other parts. In the end I would up with a spare O-540 for the pawnee for around $4000

Neat.

I've only ever flown a Geronimo, what does a stock Apache honestly cruise at and what's the fuel burn ?

At 7500'MSL 2300rpm and 22" the indicated is about 160ish MPH leaned until rough then enriched until smooth puts her at about 11gph.

At about 3000'MSL 21/21 indicated is about 130~140mph and I usually calculate putting around fuel burn to be about 15, but it's always been less; I don't know the exact on that.

Also, my mechanic got the quote (couple AMUs) for fixing the big airworthiness item from the annual (tail gusset had a crack and needs repair). I'm going to be doing an as-is where-is. So unless someone wants to spend the $$ to fix the squawks she's probably a parts/engine bird.

I'm an awesome salesman!

Not familiar with apaches what horsepower are the engines on this aircraft.I assume the aircraft doesn't have any Geronimo mods.

No Geronimo mods, you can see that in the pictures; this bird clearly belongs in an aviation museum. The engines are Lycoming O-320-A1A (150hp each).

At 7500'MSL 2300rpm and 22" the indicated is about 160ish MPH leaned until rough then enriched until smooth puts her at about 11gph.

At about 3000'MSL 21/21 indicated is about 130~140mph and I usually calculate putting around fuel burn to be about 15, but it's always been less; I don't know the exact on that.

Also, my mechanic got the quote (couple AMUs) for fixing the big airworthiness item from the annual (tail gusset had a crack and needs repair). I'm going to be doing an as-is where-is. So unless someone wants to spend the $$ to fix the squawks she's probably a parts/engine bird.

I'm an awesome salesman!

So what's the quote?

David really should buy this, get it fixed, fly it a year or two THEN get his RV....

I still remember seeing one parked at the Elk City, OK airport in the mid-early 1950's. It was the biggest GA airplane I had ever seen.

No Geronimo mods, you can see that in the pictures; this bird clearly belongs in an aviation museum. The engines are Lycoming O-320-A1A (150hp each).

So what's the quote?

David really should buy this, get it fixed, fly it a year or two THEN get his RV....

I need ANOTHER money pit. I don't really think I'm gonna buy another airplane for awhile - gonna start taking some college courses and won't really have time.

Just think how sweet the RV-8 would be with two engines, Jay!

Back