Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
All AD's complied with,

150hp version
SMOH: L - 700, R - 1800

Fresh annual this week
Currently in Joliet (KJOT)

PM me if anyone's interested. With a fresh annual, this will be the cheapest buy-then-fly-away twin you can get, and then she's only about $65/hr operating cost even in today's oil market. Reserve of about $20/hr still puts the price under most cessna 152 rentals.

Attachments

• 2011-06-12_09-07-20_51.jpg
    2011-06-12_09-07-20_51.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 220
  • 2012-05-04_17-46-14_284.jpg
    2012-05-04_17-46-14_284.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 241
  • apache.jpg
    apache.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 221
Some have asked:
Left engine overhauled and installed December 1997 by G&N Aircraft at Griffith Airport, Looks like she's closer to 800hrs now than 700.

Right engine overhauled August 1989 by Land Air Associates, 1850hrs

ACTT 4800

Prop AD 97-18-02 complied with last year so 4 more years until next inspection (new blades on last inspection because she still had blades from the early 80s and were shaved to limits previously -- props done by the prop shop in Wheeling, IL 2005 and Maxwell Air Service prop shop in Minnesota 2011).

Within the last 12 calendar months:
New generators and votlage regulators left and right
15-year / 1500hr Heater Overhaul AD
pitot-static/transponder test
new digital tachs L & R (Electronics International model)

It has a built-in oxygen console (no bottle) that I haven't used

The annual wraps up this coming week (the only squawk was a cylinder w/ low comp., that's getting OH'd atm).

For anyone seriously wanting multi-time consider this bird. The typical trainer/renter from flight schools these days is the seminole which will be around $300~$350/hr wet. This Apache has consistently burned 11gph +/- 1 in cruise via lean until rough and then enrich until smooth (yay carbs). During training flights with time spent full-rich during maneuvers I'd get 15gph.

So with the annual done, assuming even 15gph at $6/gal, flying 50 hours, then selling this bird for something even as low as 15k (crazy low, but to illustrate the fast-sale-ability as a trainer price), this plane would pay for itself compared to rentals in 38 flight hours. Lean her out to 11gph and it pays for itself in about 34 hours.

Lastly, why am I selling? My flight mission has changed, I'll be buying a Cherokee 6 after I sell the Apache. So, if anyone with one is interested in going twin and selling their Cherokee 6, send me a pm.

Can you run mogas in that bird?

Our club is thinking about selling our Cherokee six. Due to membership is shrinking, PM me if you want details.

Not to poke, but wouldn't it be $130/hr at 11gph, as its 11gph per engine?
(assuming $6/hr gas)?

good luck, if I had an MEL need it'd be on my list!

(assuming $6/hr gas)?

11gph total running LoP, not 11gph a side.

An O-320 sucking down 11gph in cruise would be a sight to behold. =D

(assuming $6/hr gas)?

No, not with 320s, that would be total. I can get 125kts on 12.7gph total in my 310.

Wow. I was thinking O-360 mins around 8-9... Didnt know the O-320 could sip that gently!

Glad to clear that up...

Might have to check with Mrs. Steingar again. That is one sweet deal for an airplane.

Wow. I was thinking O-360 mins around 8-9... Didnt know the O-320 could sip that gently!

Glad to clear that up...

I was closer to 14 gph and I flew 21 squared. Still pretty good.

Curious:
-What does such a bird realistically true out at?
-How much fuel can it hold?
-What is the useful load?
-What altitude do you realistically have a chance of maintaining on one-engine?

Last edited:

Glad to clear that up...

If you're willing to run at a low enough power setting, you can get fuel burn way, way down. Those fuel burn numbers represent a 50% or thereabouts power setting. There is no reason to burn more fuel just to train at a higher airspeed...

An 0-360 can run at more or less the same fuel flow.

If you're willing to run at a low enough power setting, you can get fuel burn way, way down. Those fuel burn numbers represent a 50% or thereabouts power setting. There is no reason to burn more fuel just to train at a higher airspeed...

An 0-360 can run at more or less the same fuel flow.

Well, there are times in training when one should turn up the speed. It's the time building where you can slow way down.

Curious:
-What does such a bird realistically true out at?
-How much fuel can it hold?
-What is the useful load?
-What altitude do you realistically have a chance of maintaining on one-engine?

She's no longer on the market. Family member ended up becoming interested in some twin time, so once they're done who knows -- maybe by then the twin market will turn around. =P

I don't know her real best-power speeds, I've honestly never pushed her there. I would guess 130 to 135kts.

Useful is 1300 and mine only has the small tanks (72gal useable).

Maintaining? Probably 6k maybe 6.5k. I wouldn't expect to climb at gross much at all, regardless of DA. Running about 700lbs under gross I was able to climb OEI at about 150fpm from 3k to 4.5 before we decided to level out and practice maneuvering OEI. I think.

Taking an apache and turning it into a Geronimo is a different beast. A Geronimo will maintain more than 10,500 true at about 145 to 150kts and not burn too much fuel -- according to a guy I know who flies one (no first hand experience). His useful is about 1700 and with inboard outboard and tip tanks I think he said 154gal useable.

Back