Piper and the Jet

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
I've been wondering why Piper is playing follow the leader into the VLJ fray. It's too early (since none of them is actually in revenue service) to learn from the mistakes of the early leaders. Seems kind of late to be getting into the game otherwise. Assuming limited financial resources (I know, Brealey & Myers would argue there is no capital constraint, but I'm talking about reality), is a me-too VLJ the best competitive choice?

Right now, they have a trainer lineup, a pressurized piston lineup, and the load hauling 6x/Saratogas. I kind of think Cessna is more on the right track, notwithstanding the Mustang, by tackling LSAs and the "Cirrus fighter." Say what you will about the Sport Pilot license, I think the recent AOPA Pilot article about LSAs being next-generation trainers was spot-on. Why buy an Archer for the trainer fleet if you can buy an LSA Cessna for $150k less? If you want a rental plane for family use (3-4 seats), an old Archer/172 will do fine.

I'd love to see a Piper "Cirrus fighter" with manual flaps. Although, I guess the target market sees manual flaps as old tech. OK, electric flaps then, but make sure you have detents. I hate the "one-one thousand, two-one thousand..." chant.

Yeah, my point exactly. They know airplanes. The Malibu is a gem (maintenance intensive, but....). Why don't they do what they know best?

Take a look at the Beech Starship. Twin prop, luxury, good range. By the time it hit the market, there were a bunch of similar equiped (or slightly better equiped) twin jets. The Beech Starship was eventually scraped.
Piper needs a jet to compete, even if they don't want it.

I think Piper is on the right track. There are a lot of Malibus and Meridians flying out there. They are still a factor in the mix (unlike Dukes, Crusaders and Cougars). I base that on what airplanes that I see flying.
It seems to me (no expert) that Piper needs to belly up to the Citation bar. There are tons of Citations out there.:blueplane:
But not too many 1957 Piper Apaches!
ApacheBob

Back