Piper Air

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
Well maybe not really Piper Air at this point. Does anyone know how to charge Freon in this system? It has undergone a conversion to the R-134 conversion. The door system has just been rewired, and the rest of the piping was extensively redone about 3 years ago. The system should be good, but is not putting out cold air. It has not really been run much in about 2 years.

I don’t know anything about aircraft a/c specifically, but I know that in a car it is pretty straightforward. Just locate high and low side service ports and hook up your gauges and vacuum pump. Pump it down to 29 inches of vacuum through the low side port and leave it with both sides of the manifold gauge set closed for a while to make sure there are no leaks and that all the water is removed. Then you connect the refrigerant where the vacuum pump was and introduce the refrigerant through the low side.

With a car, you need the compressor running for the last step, so I’m not sure how that is done with aircraft a/c. Someone else should be along to fill in that piece (or tell me I’m completely wrong about how a/c works).

Got may AC working. The low pressure fill in my plane (PA32) is right behind the tail bulkhead. Really glad the A-134 Freon conversion was done. All I had to do was go to any automotive store and all the fitting were the same.

Back