Piper 4-point Harness

jmpoplin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NCFlyer
Does anyone know of an approved 4-point harness seat belt system for Saratogas? I am looking to upgrade the front seat restraints over the standard single shoulder belt fro the ceiling but was curious is anyone knew or had recommendations. Thanks!

Only option in my opinion, BAS with the rotary buckle.

Once you fly inerita reel belts with rotary buckles you won't look at chinsy normal belts the same way again.

Many lives have been saved by BAS belts.

http://basinc-aeromod.com/piper.php

rotary_buckle_closed.jpg

rotary_buckle_open.jpg

Read some of these, then pull out the plastic

http://basinc-aeromod.com/testimonials.php

Last edited:
Brand wise? Or the rotary buckles? & why?

((my only real experience is when flying Grobs; but my experience is that they are just another brand of seat belt))

Brand wise? Or the rotary buckles? & why?

((my only real experience is when flying Grobs; but my experience is that they are just another brand of seat belt))

You could buy any brand, most inerita reels are about the same price, just lots and lots of good PIREPS on the BAS, they also have a large list of approved makes and models.

The rotary buckle, it's super fast to attach and take off, one twist and you're out, no lifting or routing hoops through clasps, plus you can ditch the shoulder belts without taking the lap belt off. Just a cleaner arrangement, especially since the attachment points of the shoulder harnesses are smaller, if no one is riding shotgun the belt attachments are more out of the way then the other options IMO

Side note, all the commercial turbo props and above use the rotary buckle and inertia reel setup too.

Look at AC43.13-2B chapter 9 for approved methods for adding shoulder restraints.

I don't prefer the inertia reels or the rotary buckle. I use Hooker manual seaplane Y harnesses in my plane. Choices.

I like the BAS products ,have been very happy with them in my aircraft.

Look at AC43.13-2B chapter 9 for approved methods for adding shoulder restraints.

I don't prefer the inertia reels or the rotary buckle. I use Hooker manual seaplane Y harnesses in my plane. Choices.

Even with the skywagon flaps? Are you using the EZ-Flap handle or something?

I've found the non reels are ether too tight to easily get to the flaps, gear and everything else down there, or are too lose to be effective if things were to go caca

Yes with the Skywagon flaps, no for any flap handle doo-dad. I like having control to cinch up tight when I want to be glued to the seat. I've never felt at risk loosening the right side a little to grab the first notch. After that there's no issue with reaching the handle. And I like the seaplane wickets so I never have to worry about getting tangled in the harness when it's time to get out, and my float flying days are behind me.

By the way, re: Skywagons. I had Hooker make me diagonal shoulder harnesses for the second row seats, also with seaplane wickets. My interior made access to the factory attach point easy. Most owners don't know they have rear harness attach points. There are attach points for the third row as well but I gave that seat away a long time ago.

Attachments

• rear shoulder strap complete.JPG
    rear shoulder strap complete.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Back