Pinch hitter training

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I friend posed a question that maybe you CFIs could take a whack at.

His father-in-law just bought a 210, and suggested that my friend might want to do pinch hitter training in case he has a heart attack or something.

So the question is:

Do the training in the 210 so that gear and prop etc. become part of the ritual at the start, or train in a 152 or 172 and then transition up. Which do you guys think is better?

If it is just pitch hitter, I'd say use the 210. It'll be minmum hours and you can concentrate on that radio stack and the basic engine setting to get down alive.

If he might want to go for the private then start in something more forgiving of bad landings.

ejensen said:
If it is just pitch hitter, I'd say use the 210. It'll be minmum hours and you can concentrate on that radio stack and the basic engine setting to get down alive.

If he might want to go for the private then start in something more forgiving of bad landings.

Yep I agree. Teach him in what he could potentially be flying. Pinch hitting does not need to be perfect, just good enough to land.

Thanks, Eric and Scott. Using the 210 was my sense, but not being a CFI, and driving helicopters mostly these days anyway, I wanted a sanity check.

A pinch hitter really doesn’t need to know how to extend the gear. A pinch hitter only needs to make a 'good' landing not a 'great' landing, a great landing is a bonus but all they really need to know is how to call for help, how to pick up and follow vectors and how to put it on the ground where they want it with a minimum of cabin damage. Pinch-hitting is meant as a back up to save the frequent passengers skin, the skin of an incapacitated pilot, and to minimize collateral damage on the ground (people, homes, businesses). Anything more then that is gravy. Have them do the training in anything they are comfortable with as long as they are also familiarized with the airplane they are flying in and the sponsor pilot keeps them current on the training just like the pilots the training that isn't used gets rusty.

Missa
PS I'm not saying to not do it in the 210, but if the owner is uncomfortable with that kind of use of his plane there is still value in having them do it in a trainer plane.

Last edited:
IMHO, train him in the plane he'll have to fly in an emergency. He'll have enough to deal with without having to get used to a strange plane. That's why I'm going to have Cathy do hers in the 172 instead of saving a few bucks in a 152. She'll be doing it from the right seat, also, because that's where she'll be if the need arises.

I agree that the emergency landing training should be given in the particular airplane (not just make/model) in which the person will be flying.

BTW, "Pinch Hitter" (TM) is a registered trademark of AOPA, as the AYA found out when we first started what was renamed the "Cockpit Cool" course when we found that out in a letter from AOPA.

Mary is signing up with my CFI for the pinch hitters course. I agree radio work, landings and following vectors will be a good back up if anything happens to me. Joe, I also like the idea from the right seat, she may as well learn from her station.

Joe Williams said:
IMHO, train him in the plane he'll have to fly in an emergency. He'll have enough to deal with without having to get used to a strange plane. That's why I'm going to have Cathy do hers in the 172 instead of saving a few bucks in a 152. She'll be doing it from the right seat, also, because that's where she'll be if the need arises.

EXACTLY!!!

Ron Levy said:
I
BTW, "Pinch Hitter" (TM) is a registered trademark of AOPA, as the AYA found out when we first started what was renamed the "Cockpit Cool" course when we found that out in a letter from AOPA.

And I believe the 99s have a TM on 'Companion Flyer'.

I'm figuring that the model of airplane doesn't matter all that much for a pinch-hitter course.

write-stuff said:
I'm figuring that the model of airplane doesn't matter all that much for a pinch-hitter course.
I don't agree. In fact, it really should be in the particular plane to be flown. There are too many differences even for the same make/model in where critical controls are located and how the radios work. Remember, we're dealing with someone who may go months or years from the only flight training they ever got to when they have to use it. Such a person is unlikely to be able even to work out how to tune the radio to 121.5 if they were trained on a KX-155 and presented with a Garmin 430.

I also agree that pinch-hitter training should be in an aircraft as much like the "target" plane as possible, for all manner of reasons, including familiarity in a stressful situation.

In the case of a 210, in particular, if you had only received training in (say) a 152 or 172, you'd likely drill the nose in to the ground, as the difference in control forces in pitch is so dramatic.

Back