Pilots that quit

Kevin87

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin87
I was just curious. Does anyone know of any data that shows the amount of pilots that quit during their training?

I know I had my moments of doubt and frustration throughout my training.

Also second question. Did any of you have that moment where you said to your self, maybe I can't do this?

About 1 in 4 never finish. Not always because if difficulty but other factors such as finances. That was the primary reason why it took me 6 months to complete.

No, never thought I couldn't get my PPL. Even in Army flight school which was far more difficult, I never thought that I wouldn't make it thru. There are ups and downs but you just have to have confidence in your abilities. Having instructed probably a couple hundred students in the Army, I assure you, they aren't rocket scientists and don't have any special hand & eye coordination. They're just driven, goal oriented people who stick it out til the end.

never having anything to do with the flight itself. But a lot of time for financial reasons I thought man I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this.

I must admit that I had a few moments, particularly when it came time for my cross-country solo. But I overcame my doubts and am so glad I did! I think it's sad that so many students quit at some point in their training, and I believe it's often because flight schools fail to deliver what they promise.

Also second question. Did any of you have that moment where you said to your self, maybe I can't do this?

Heck no.

I'll say this: there is no one thing about flying that is inherently hard, but there is a ****-ton of stuff to learn. It can take time.

That being said, while it's not the hardest thing to do in the world, some people just can't do it.

I never thought I'd quit because it was difficult, but I got really really really frustrated being told over and over that "I'm ALMOST ready to solo blah blah".....I got really annoyed and frustrated and even started a thread that I was ready to quit but I got past that and all the other hurdles that come with training.

Did any of you have that moment where you said to your self, maybe I can't do this?
I thought that the first time I found my self sitting at the end of the runway alone. But I decided I wasn't going to quit; I was going to become a pilot or die trying (and I trusted my instructor not to send me off to kill myself).

I guess I had a good instructor, or growing up on the farm and operating everything under the sun, flying a machine came easy. The physical part of it that is ... .

The navigation, dead-reckoning, weight and balance, regs, and all the bookwork was hard, but my love for flying trumped that.

I'm more relaxed when I'm flying than anything else I do. It's like heaven. Where I want to be. :)

According to AOPA literature from 2010: "The figures are startling—student pilots drop out of training at a rate that approaches 80 percent."

There is a fairly high percentage that solo, but never finish.

According to AOPA literature from 2010: "The figures are startling—student pilots drop out of training at a rate that approaches 80 percent."

There is a fairly high percentage that solo, but never finish.

80 percent seems super high!

I think you guys are right when saying that it probably comes down to financial reasons.

I haven't thought about that. Yeah, that's definitely one of the reasons.

80 percent seems super high!

I remember seeing figures of 90% back in the '70s and '80s. And then there are many who get the license, fly a few hours, and never fly again.

Money is a problem, but it's also considerable work and it can go slowly. You have to be persistent and determined.

Dan

I believe it.
I'm sure you realize that flying isn't easy or cheap.

Yeah it is not easy, and definitely not cheap. I guess you do have to really love it to stick with it so maybe 8 out of 10 people try it and then say, hey this is not for me.

I remember seeing figures of 90% back in the '70s and '80s. And then there are many who get the license, fly a few hours, and never fly again.

Money is a problem, but it's also considerable work and it can go slowly. You have to be persistent and determined.

Dan

I think there are also plenty of people who just lose interest or get sidetracked for one reason or another. Perhaps they got the license with typical aspirations of "flying my friends every weekend" and "going cross country once a month" and then six months later had 12 hours in the books and decided it wasn't all that great. I've had periods like that where I'm into some other hobby and the plane gets pushed aside for a bit and I feel silly having to force myself to go freshen up the skills.

It can be hard to stay current for recreational types and I'd bet there are a ton of pilots who just let their skills lapse and now are no longer comfortable flying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's really unfortunate that owning is so expensive. I know.. duh, right? But now that I have a plane just sitting there, ready to go whenever I want AND costing me money whether I go or not, it's much easier to go fly. So I do.

Wonder how many people would drive if they could get around just fine without a car, had to rent one of three 30 year old cars from a carport half an hour from home, couldn't drive the car in the rain, had to have the car back in a few hours so the next person could use it, randomly didn't get to take the trip because the scheduled car was down for maintenance, late coming back, or the weather didn't work out, etc. It'd suck.

Things that require a consistent application of effort over time always have a high wash-out rate. If you have ever hired people, you know that its not intelligence that is rare, but rather persistence.

I recently had dinner with a friend who works high up in a major university system. Over half of their freshman class wash out before graduation.

As for the expense of ownership, there are ways to mitigate the cost. Three guys can buy a perfectly airworthy (non-LSA) Ercoupe for $18,000. I did that with two buddies (we all had kids who couldn't afford to rent even the cheapest planes at the FBO), and we were able to rent the thing to the kids for $15/hour, dry. My son could afford that with his part-time job.

Sure, it wasn't fast, and couldn't carry much -- but it was flying, and a heckuva lot of fun.

You don't have to break the bank to fly.

Time and money are minor barriers, but I think many wanna-be pilots lose it when they realize how "serious-business" flying is. They begin to realize the responsibility for their life and the lives of others. They realize flying is way more than being a free bird, with more regulations and technical issues than they were prepared for....

Time and money are minor barriers, but I think many wanna-be pilots lose it when they realize how "serious-business" flying is. They begin to realize the responsibility for their life and the lives of others. They realize flying is way more than being a free bird, with more regulations and technical issues than they were prepared for....

A lot depends on where they live, train, and fly.

Every time I fly into the Houston metroplex, I'm amazed that anyone learns to fly there. The complexity of the airspace, the traffic, and the rapid fire controllers are daunting.

Training in rural areas is so much easier. I learned to fly in rural Wisconsin, and never had to worry about anything except learning to control the aircraft. It was wonderful.

I wish I could get student pilots to fly down by our island chain, early in their training. No airspace to worry about, gorgeous ocean scenery, just pure flight. It's the best place to fly I've found.

How true... 'was just watching a video, thinking of how nice it would have been to learn to fly in this type of environment
(I learned at KDVT, Deer Valley. 'Hard to imagine a worse place to learn)

During the final stretch of my PPL training where all we were doing was check ride prep, and I couldn't be in the air longer than 30 seconds at a time without my engine virtually quitting on me or catching on fire (instructor constantly throwing emergency scenarios at me), I remember thinking, "dang, you really have to want it to get across the finish line and get your ticket." It was not exactly "enjoyable" flying, per se. Fortunately for me (like most guys/gals on POA), I am so obsessed with flying that this was never an issue -- it was easy to muscle through all the challenges and not be a quitter statistic because there was nothing else on the planet that I wanted more. But I have to imagine a lot of folks who quit just aren't quite passionate enough about flying to see it through to the end, because it did really require "work" to get there and you just aren't going to put yourself through that and spend all that money unless you reallllllly want it. ....and that was the private certificate -- scary to think about the challenges that come with getting the instrument/multi/commercial/etc. :yikes: Can't wait! B)

I did my training in the sixties,it was reasonable on the wallet. Not as many rules or airspace worries. Just get in and go,fly just about anywhere,and have fun. But once you have the bug,you can overcome .

I was just curious. Does anyone know of any data that shows the amount of pilots that quit during their training?

I know I had my moments of doubt and frustration throughout my training.

Not for my PPL but I have to admit the IR has come close!

I fly in the FRZ and SFRA, probably the most complicated airspace on the planet.

It can get frustrating. I've asked myself a few times whether I want to even learn here.

But once you know the ins and outs, it's ok. Surprisingly, the controllers are very nice (helpful) and the radios aren't that busy because they usually keep GA and non-airliner traffic on a separate frequency of Potomac approach.

Kind of cool to hear the military guys doing all kinds of stuff. The other day I passed a UH-60 doing an instrument (practice) approach into Stafford as I was climbing out VFR. He called me in sight and I saw him fly by me about a mile away.

If I had to guess why most quit, aside from the obvious finances, it's the book work. I love aviation, even the technical aspects, but cross country planning/dead reckoning just wasn't very fun to me. I could see where someone less passionate about flight might say forget it. Of course, in actual practice with modern GPS equipped planes and digital flight planning software/apps, you don't necessarily have to do any of that once you have your ticket.

Last edited:
I guess I had a good instructor, or growing up on the farm and operating everything under the sun, flying a machine came easy. The physical part of it that is ... .

The navigation, dead-reckoning, weight and balance, regs, and all the bookwork was hard, but my love for flying trumped that.

I'm more relaxed when I'm flying than anything else I do. It's like heaven. Where I want to be. :)

I also drove "stuff" when young. Minneapolis moline big tractor, farmall M, WW2 surplus command car, jeep. All owned by neighbor who owned large saw mill and maple syrup farm. I flew quite a bit at 15-16 with a pal who owned a very nice super cruiser. He let me take the stick often and it was 5 years later I got my ticket in an 85 hp champ. I also took the weekend course provided by AOPA and passed the written easily. The taildraggers were always my favorite and I had a lot of time when I was checked out in a mooney. It was a piece of cake, as was a bonanza. It was AFTER I got my private that I really learned how to fly.

I also drove "stuff" when young. Minneapolis moline big tractor, farmall M, WW2 surplus command car, jeep. All owned by neighbor who owned large saw mill and maple syrup farm. I flew quite a bit at 15-16 with a pal who owned a very nice super cruiser. He let me take the stick often and it was 5 years later I got my ticket in an 85 hp champ. I also took the weekend course provided by AOPA and passed the written easily. The taildraggers were always my favorite and I had a lot of time when I was checked out in a mooney. It was a piece of cake, as was a bonanza. It was AFTER I got my private that I really learned how to fly.

I got my PPL when I was seventeen, so I think that makes a big difference. It is easier to learn things when you're young.

I think it cost me about $500.00 back then in the seventies....

Ever since I got my TW endorsement, and our 180, I look at and when I fly nose draggers I think ... meh. :D

I just had my third lesson. I quit after the first one...and the second one. I hate flying on commercial airlines. I hate roller coasters. I hate the feeling of weightlessness and G-forces. I hate turbulence. After each flight lesson, all I wanted to do was go to bar and drown my frazzled nerves in bourbon. I don't drink--but now I know why pilots do.

I love that there is a world in the skies, an interstates system, a foreign language among pilots and controllers, I love that I could travel to remote places in my state, the country and other countries. I love acquiring new knowledge in ground school. I love freedom.

To do the things I love, I have to overcome my hate and discomfort of flying. It's THE MOST DIFFICULT THING I'VE EVER HAD TO DO...psychologically. It doesn't help that I read 20 NTSB reports a week where pilots who have 1000 hours or more have crashed and died.

I was just introduced to stalls. After the first one, I told myself this is the end and I can't get pass this. So I quit yesterday...then got my mind wrapped around the aerodynamics, the mental challenge and I'll probably go to Six Flags this week and ride every roller coaster until I stop puking.

I want to quit...but not as bad as I want to fly, have freedom and conquer this seemingly insurmountable task.

My instructor seems to think I'll make it through to the end and go onto become a CFI. I told him, "I think you've had to much bourbon."

I just had my third lesson. I quit after the first one...and the second one. I hate flying on commercial airlines. I hate roller coasters. I hate the feeling of weightlessness and G-forces. I hate turbulence. After each flight lesson, all I wanted to do was go to bar and drown my frazzled nerves in bourbon. I don't drink--but now I know why pilots do.

Good luck Brian! I hope you can stick with it and overcome your fears.... from your first paragraph, I was thinking wow.. but I love flying, I love roller coasters, I don't mind turbulence and weightlessness and g-forces! Go figure and I'm afraid of heights! :hairraise: but I love these things and all I wanna do is go again when the ride is over :)

I have a feeling that as long as you can stick to it, your CFI may have a good point that you could come to love the flying as much as you love the freedom.

I love that there is a world in the skies, an interstates system, a foreign language among pilots and controllers, I love that I could travel to remote places in my state, the country and other countries. I love acquiring new knowledge in ground school. I love freedom.

To do the things I love, I have to overcome my hate and discomfort of flying. It's THE MOST DIFFICULT THING I'VE EVER HAD TO DO...psychologically. It doesn't help that I read 20 NTSB reports a week where pilots who have 1000 hours or more have crashed and died.

I was just introduced to stalls. After the first one, I told myself this is the end and I can't get pass this. So I quit yesterday...then got my mind wrapped around the aerodynamics, the mental challenge and I'll probably go to Six Flags this week and ride every roller coaster until I stop puking.

I want to quit...but not as bad as I want to fly, have freedom and conquer this seemingly insurmountable task.

My instructor seems to think I'll make it through to the end and go onto become a CFI. I told him, "I think you've had to much bourbon."

All the wrong stuff.

I'll say it if your in$tructor won't.

You ain't pilot material. :no:

If getting sick is your main issue, that will go away.

In the meantime do some things to help yourself. I used seabands (sold at CVS for like $8) the first few lessons and still chew gum if I know it's going to be really bumpy.

All the wrong stuff.

I'll say it if your in$tructor won't.

You ain't pilot material. :no:

Have you flown with that poster? What makes you think he's not pilot material? Flying is not a natural thing, it has to be learned. I'm sure you're gods gift to aviation in all, but this dude's only had a few hours of training. The confidence will come.

Get your CFI and you'll one day understand.

Have you flown with that poster? What makes you think he's not pilot material? Flying is not a natural thing, it has to be learned. I'm sure you're gods gift to aviation in all, but this dude's only had a few hours of training. The confidence will come.

My post was meant to be as motivational as much as it was confrontational.

If it makes him angry then good. He can use it to prove me wrong.

Either way, I dealt him a solid. :yes:

it's ok to quit. Just don't quit inflight!

I should write for hallmark...:rolleyes:

Everytime I see that Cessna 180 it gives me pangs of envy. What a great airplane.

Thanks.

I just got luckier than a blind dog finding a bone when I found it. And at my own home field no less....

It was like finding an old muscle car in a barn. It was dirty, hadn't been flown in a year or two, and needed work. Nobody wanted it, but the old owner and I saw the potential. We worked our butts off on it, and when I got it polished up then everybody wanted it.... :rolleyes:

Pretty much sums up how I felt going back to training after 11 years. Now I'm about 5 hours in (this time around, 25 hrs from way back when) and I have to say it's getting easier. One thing that helped me quite a bit, was I scheduled a lesson super early in the morning when it was nice and calm, that really made a big difference. The next time when it wasn't so calm, I wasn't quite as nervous. Also, I read stick and rudder, which someone here recommended and it totally changed everything for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMEN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to break the bank to fly.

I agree with Jay. There is a tendency for us pilot to overestimate our "mission" and purchase more airplane than we can afford and wind up having it sit in a hangar or on tie-down somewhere because it is just too expensive. It doesn't have to be that way!

Back