Pilots organization wants teens to look skyward for their careers

Seems kinda cruel to focus the kids on a career that will only give them minimum pay, maximum working hours, little home life, and probably an early unsupported retirement.

smigaldi said:
Seems kinda cruel to focus the kids on a career that will only give them minimum pay, maximum working hours, little home life, and probably an early unsupported retirement.

I wonder if VLJ's will change that paradigm?

Anthony said:

Good question. I am not sure but aren't the VLJ also being marketed towards the guys that want more speed and probably already own a high performance twin?

Anthony said:
I don't think jobs flying VLJs will be all that well-paying, but that's just my personal shot-in-the-dark. :dunno:

smigaldi said:

I would not say this is completely true. QOL and wage certainly depends on which company you work for. I am home 15-16 days a month, allowing me to spend more time with family and friends than I would with a 9 to 5 job. I make a decent wage and contribute to a 401k that is supported by my decisions and investment choices. I also get to fly the other 14-15 days a month and get to travel all around the US, Cananda, and Mexico. I also get great travel benefits that my family enjoys, giving them opportunity they would not otherwise have to travel and visit even more family members and travel around the world nearly free of charge. That just my $0.02.

I have no problem with programs which expose kids to aviation, even as a possible career choice. My beef is more with schools that promote it to young (and not so young), impressionable people with glossy brochures and promises, while raking in money for their own benefit. Flying still has a pretty big "cool" factor which is much too easy to exploit.

Personally I'm not unhappy that I ended up doing it for a living although a job is a job. It's exposed me to lots of things I never would have imagined, and I've been able to make a steady, although not spectacular living at it my whole adult life.

A lot of people say that you ought to pick some other more lucrative profession or business and use your discretionary income to fly on your own terms. For various reasons I don't think this would have worked for me. Ultimately it depends on your own personality and what's right for you.

Back