Pilots of America Apparel

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I know this was talked about once, but I never heard the outcome. Are there any items with the POA logo on them available? I would like to have a hoodie, T-Shirt or cap to wear at Gaston's and other places I go, maybe even Oshkosh this year.

Cheap Quality.

We haven't found a vendor who provides GOOD quality apparel, yet.

Know of any?

why not just go to an ebroidery shop and have stuff made. You'll sell it.
I agree cafe press is too cheap of a product for POA.

I skimmed this thread earlier, and misunderstood. I thought you were looking for a cheap vendor.
So you're looking for a good vendor with good quality stuff. What are you thinking of having made, and how much?

Michael said:
why not just go to an ebroidery shop and have stuff made. You'll sell it.
I agree cafe press is too cheap of a product for POA.
Cause we're a website not a storefront. Going that route requires up front captial, inventory management, shipping management, etc, etc, etc.

Bit of an outlay for something far from a guaranteed sale.

Is there any problem with producing an embroidery-ready logo that folks can download and take to their local computer-driven embroidery shop? For that matter, if we tell folks it's OK to copy the logo at the top, they can do it themselves -- it's just a bit of font work and an airplane next to it.

well I'll tell ya what - we (DCPILOTS.ORG) went the route with Sporty's a few years back. We needed a minimum number of items (in the 20's) I believe to avoid a setup charge, but now it's possible to get the DCPilots.org logo on any of their goods. I've been really happy with the ball caps I got and other stuff as well. Very durable.

So, if there's a logo for POA, I'm willing to be point man and collect commitments from folks for goods, place the initial order, and then give everyone their stuff once they pay me back for it.

I'm not "selling" Sporty's in any way, if someone has another embroidery house in mind with a wide range of clothing (aviation gear's a plus too), a good business history, and preferably a website for placing future orders, please recommend it here.

Ron Levy said:
Is there any problem with producing an embroidery-ready logo that folks can download and take to their local computer-driven embroidery shop? For that matter, if we tell folks it's OK to copy the logo at the top, they can do it themselves -- it's just a bit of font work and an airplane next to it.
Well, part of the point of Cafe-Press is that you get a share of the proceeds, so sale of PoA Merchandise would benefit PoA.

Providing the logo free doesn't give anything back to us.

TMetzinger said:
well I'll tell ya what - we (DCPILOTS.ORG) went the route with Sporty's a few years back. We needed a minimum number of items (in the 20's) I believe to avoid a setup charge, but now it's possible to get the DCPilots.org logo on any of their goods. I've been really happy with the ball caps I got and other stuff as well. Very durable.
Sporty's would be a great option, but if PoA goes into merchandising of any form, there should be some benefit TO PoA for doing it. If Sporty's is willing to be a virtual storefront, sell stuff with our logo on it for us, and cut us in for a small percentage, well, dang, I'll be on that like tiremarks on a landing strip...

But somehow I suspect THEY aren't in the virtual storefront business either. :( Please do correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Greebo said:
Sporty's would be a great option, but if PoA goes into merchandising of any form, there should be some benefit TO PoA for doing it. If Sporty's is willing to be a virtual storefront, sell stuff with our logo on it for us, and cut us in for a small percentage, well, dang, I'll be on that like tiremarks on a landing strip...

But somehow I suspect THEY aren't in the virtual storefront business either. :( Please do correct me if I'm wrong. :)

They might be willing to do that, but they would only add on the "cut" that POA wanted to the price and pass that on to the ones that buy the merchandise.

1.800.SPORTYS (1.800.776.7897)

cherokeeflyboy said:
1.800.SPORTYS (1.800.776.7897)

Good luck getting a suggestion/request through to them. I have been very discouraged by their responcefulness (or really lack thereof) and had to send a long letter with attention to Hal Shevers just to get a responce back from the VP of Sportys. ...even when I received his response, it only stated that they would "look into it" and I just gave up then.

Not saying it cannot be possible, but not likely. Good luck!

Jason

Sporty's is not in that business, and won't do the sort of storefront thing you suggest.

Not sure that I'd want POA to become a kind of organization with a serious financial structure to it, or a "membership" component.

If all you want is a place to buy logo apparel - that's one thing and Sporty's (and others) can do that just fine. If you want to raise funds (and then have to manage those funds in line with the will of the "membership - I'm getting hives just thinking about it), that's another thing altogether.

I've seen all kinds of different ways to handle merchandising. If PoA would allow someone (like me, for instance) to use the logo, I'd find a local business that would either embroider or silk screen hats, shirts, shorts, cups, whatever. Take orders from people online and add a percentage (to be determined by PoA) for PoA.
Another way is for PoA (or somebody) to outlay some cash for merchandise. Without knowing how many or how much to buy, it could be quite a risk.
Or... A local FBO takes over merchandising the stuff. Most have high qulity stuff advertising them. What's a few more. They get a stake, you get a stake, and happy people all around.
Personally, the only thing that keeps me from buying from Sporty's (AOPA stuff) is the cost of shipping and handling.
I think it could be a full time job. There's over 650 members, many with a vested interest in PoA. Hmmmmm.... maybe I could be the next Sam Walton....

Greebo said:
Cheap Quality.

Know of any?
Greebo, I know that CafePress sells American Apparel clothing. I have a bunch of stuff from them, and the quality of clothing from AA has been pretty decent. American Apparel stuff is pretty popular with us NYC hipsters. :p
Plus CafePress even sells thongs!
I can't speak for the quality of the silk screening from CafePress but a bunch of my friends have stuff from them and it seems to still look pretty good.

Chuck,
As a member of this forum and the owner of a pilot shop, I would be happy to speak to a few of my vendors to create a full line of POA apparel as well as promoting it on my site. I think it would be a great idea!! Win-Win...

Let me know your thoughts.

Banshee Will..
Info@Pilotequip.com

flyingcheesehead said:
Somehow, I don't think that Joe Williams running around in a PoA thong is good marketing. :no: :rofl:
I'm sure HE thinks it would be...

Anyway, I've replied to the email from Banshee to investigate his offer further.

What we would consider, if we ever consider going this route, would be something where we would be largely removed from the process, receiving benefit mainly because we'd be bringing business to the vendor.

If we provide the logo and the customers, and the vendor provides the storefront, the inventory control, and a small percentage of the sales to help supplement our operating costs, and we don't have to get involved beyond saying, HEY BUY OUR STUFF HERE!, thats ideal for us.

Remember that this site is a small, volunteer operation, primarily funded by one person (hi, I'm chuck and I'm financially silly) with some MUCH appreciated additional support from our more enthusiastic members. We're not interested in becoming a business, we're just interested in continuing to build a nice, cozy online community of pilots in a civil atmosphere.

Chuck,

What you describe sounds good, I hope it works out. If there are startup costs - I'm willing to buy a bunch of unisex stuff like ball caps - and will resell them to folks at fly-ins if there isn't enough interest at first.

Greebo said:
Cheap Quality.

Know of any?

I haven't seen Pete Geiger in many years. I sold him cameras when he was in high school and his dad was a golfing buddy of my boss. For a lot of years he's been head honcho of the family business. His company is located about 25 miles from me. If any of you have read Farmer's Almanac, Pete's father, Ray Geiger, edited(and published) it for decades. Pete assumed Ray's duties as editor quite a few years ago. Geiger is the world's largest privately-held producer of promotional merchandise. The Link is below. Take a look at Pete's extensive array of product.

http://www.geigermall.com/

Whether he has a plan which would fit PoA needs is beyond me, but it's a shot-in-the-dark.

HR

Find out how Chickenwings does it. Maybe they'll have a suggestion.

SkyHog said:
Find out how Chickenwings does it. Maybe they'll have a suggestion.
According to their shopping page they do a small bit of stuff themselves (which Greebo is trying to avoid) and the rest is thru ... cafepress.com.

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to speak with one of my vendors today in reference to a PoA product line. I am trying to find the highest quality shirt at the best price as well premium embroidery.

In the event we can make this happen. What are your thoughts about a quality polo shirt made of Cotton/Poly with a flat knit collar and 3-button placket, no shrink, fade or pill with a price point of about $38.00? I have not seen a sample at this point.

I would like to know all of your thoughts as well as if there might be any interest in Baseball hats, jackets and flight bags with the PoA logo?

Let me know,

Banshee Will

Well. I don't think I've ever paid $38 for any shirt....But what I am willing to pay does not represent the majority of POA at all.

Banshee Will said:
Hi all,

I had the opportunity to speak with one of my vendors today in reference to a PoA product line. I am trying to find the highest quality shirt at the best price as well premium embroidery.

In the event we can make this happen. What are your thoughts about a quality polo shirt made of Cotton/Poly with a flat knit collar and 3-button placket, no shrink, fade or pill with a price point of about $38.00? I have not seen a sample at this point.

I would like to know all of your thoughts as well as if there might be any interest in Baseball hats, jackets and flight bags with the PoA logo?

Let me know,

Banshee Will

No 40 dollar shirt for me, but i would be interested in a quality ball cap for 15 or so.

A good quality polo shirt (think Cutter&Buck) usually goes in the $30-40 range at a department store, so $38 would be a "good" price for that type of shirt, at least in my area.

But lots of us will want t-shirts. I LOVE the Sporty's Tshirt I have -Jerzee's 100% cotton, incredibly soft, and the gold embroidery looks great on the blue shirt.

I definitely prefer embroidery to silkscreen

Back