Pilots-n-Paws: Sat. Feb 8, Need Additional Aircraft

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Joined
Jan 13, 2010
Messages
20,803
Location
Denton, TX
Display Name
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Home Airfield
KDTO (Denton Enterprise)
This Saturday, if the weather behaves, I am flying a few dogs for Mountain Pet Rescue.

But we have one or two dogs too many for my Skylane. So we need an additional volunteer to fly one or two dogs. Fortunately there is plenty of help and aircraft to meet us at the midway point. We're shy at least one aircraft departing the DFW area.

Current plans are to link up with some Denver based pilots in either Liberal KS, Borger TX, or Tradewind (Amarillo). We are departing out of Denton about 10:00-10:30am. Harness, leads, and some crates are available if you don't already have some.

Please let me know if you are able to help.
 
If weather prevents the Saturday flights, alternate is Sunday the 9th.
(one of the Denver pilots)
 
If weather prevents the Saturday flights, alternate is Sunday the 9th.
(one of the Denver pilots)

And another reason I need to find an additional volunteer. 55WB is booked by another club member on Sunday. It would be one long walk to Liberal......
 
... Tuesday Morning Bump ...
 
Wow, how many dogs are carrying? My record in the 182 is 14 dogs, although I had a bunch of puppies too.
 
Wow, how many dogs are carrying? My record in the 182 is 14 dogs, although I had a bunch of puppies too.

Current load is 6 lab puppies (2 crates), a 2-yr old chocolate lab, a 1-yr old Anatolian Shepherd (large dog), and an Aussie.

But the rescue has sent an inquiry about additional dogs ready to travel.

If I could remove the back seat, I'd have lots of room for additional dogs and crates. But the club said no to that.

My other challenge is that Saturday's weather is iffy as of today. And Sunday, someone else has the aircraft reserved. So I'm trying to figure out plans Bravo and Charlie.
 
Current load is 6 lab puppies (2 crates), a 2-yr old chocolate lab, a 1-yr old Anatolian Shepherd (large dog), and an Aussie.

But the rescue has sent an inquiry about additional dogs ready to travel.

If I could remove the back seat, I'd have lots of room for additional dogs and crates. But the club said no to that.

My other challenge is that Saturday's weather is iffy as of today. And Sunday, someone else has the aircraft reserved. So I'm trying to figure out plans Bravo and Charlie.
Offer a good single malt or gallon of Ben & Jerry's to the person who reserved the airplane for Sunday to let you have it?
 
There is a fair chance I could just do a round trip FTG-DTO-FTG. Need to break-in new cylinders anyway...just not sure if that would fit in with existing plans though.
 
It would definitely help out....

Get with Sybil of MPR, [email protected] and let her know you're availability and other details.
 
Too bad I'm at work till next Wednesday or the 235 could carry them all.
 
Too bad I'm at work till next Wednesday or the 235 could carry them all.

Thanks... but I think we might have this all worked out with Clark's assistance.

Now if the weather guessers would just settle on a forecast.... Yesterday, cold temps and possible snow... today, warmer, partly cloudy, no problem with freezing temps.

I think they would have better results picking out different parts of the forecast out of a hat....
 
Sounds like Sybil is all wound up - she's counting pups to see how many can be moved.
 
Forecast is looking decent for the weekend. Still two crates short for my flight.
 
I've got crates...what size? They're at the hangar..see you Sat.

I'll be out at the hangar for plane prep this afternoon - will depart very early a.m. tomorrow. Need a crate for a 40-50 pound dog and one for a 15 pound dog.
 
Pretty much a cluster-f. Moved 9 dogs.

Murphey aborted on a mechanical problem. I couldn't find DTO so decided to go to GRH (or something like that). Folks at DTO couldn't figure out how to fly so they drove the GRH. I had some really bad BBQ while waiting for them to show up. I ended up with 9 hours and 9 dogs moved. The weather with pireps of ice had nothing to do with anything...

Ted doesn't have to worry, I'm not going to take his place.
 
Pretty much a cluster-f. Moved 9 dogs.

Murphey aborted on a mechanical problem. I couldn't find DTO so decided to go to GRH (or something like that). Folks at DTO couldn't figure out how to fly so they drove the GRH. I had some really bad BBQ while waiting for them to show up. I ended up with 9 hours and 9 dogs moved. The weather with pireps of ice had nothing to do with anything...

Ted doesn't have to worry, I'm not going to take his place.

Wow crazy day sounds like. Congrats on getting them all moved :). Once I finish my IR I hope to get more involved
 
Pretty much a cluster-f. Moved 9 dogs.

Murphey aborted on a mechanical problem. I couldn't find DTO so decided to go to GRH (or something like that). Folks at DTO couldn't figure out how to fly so they drove the GRH. I had some really bad BBQ while waiting for them to show up. I ended up with 9 hours and 9 dogs moved. The weather with pireps of ice had nothing to do with anything...

Ted doesn't have to worry, I'm not going to take his place.

GLE Gainesville?

GVT Greenville? I can understand about Greenville - interviewed there for a job. You know it's time to run away when the best place to eat is a really bad BBQ restaurant, the only place to shop is Walmart and no one at the company lives anywhere near the town.
 
Clark. First a big thank you for helping. Those 7 pups and 2 larger dogs had to get to Denver and Mountain Pet Rescue and we REALLY appreciate your graciousness and volunteering your time. If it will help, I'll donate something to your fuel fund since I didn't spend my flying budget for the day.


Now to share my day with the gallery.

We had the following dogs to move today:
  • Asilo a chocolate lab (MPR)
  • Teddy a Pyr/Assuie mix (MPR)
  • 7 black lab pups (MPR)
  • Malcolm, a Black Lab (MPR)
  • Puzzle, a Aussie/Healer mix (MPR)
  • 2 Pittle mixes (MissyRedding)


It was a challenging day for sure....The original plan was to split the dogs between myself and Clark. Clark would return to Denver via Borger, TX, and I would go only to Borger and transfer my charges to Pilot Dana from Boulder, CO.

But it all went TU from the start. I hit my 3 strike rule... near minimums IFR conditions prevailed over DTO through our departure time and beyond and I'm a VFR pilot. My aircraft developed an electrical problem that could not be fixed in time allowed (new battery but when I flipped the master, no juice to anything). And pressure to do the mission (get there itis)

So I made the decision no flying by me while Clark was still in the air between Borger and Denton.

Forecasts the day before all said that the weather over DTO was going to be better than it was. But something over the greater DFW area held the low clouds more than the surrounding area until noon. Yes, by the time we traveled 30 miles we got out from underneath it into improving VFR (and very much VFR by the time we arrived in Graham), but it was still enough of a mess at DTO that even held the Houston based pilot who brought Malcolm and Puzzle (an IFR pilot who did shoot the ILS18 approach, but picked up ice on his leading edges during the descent from the FAF to the runway).

We did take longer than needed to get rolling toward Clark in Graham (KRPH). This was because we were trying to determine if we could get a replacement flight going toward Borger and meet Pilot Dana. After first being told that Missy had a pilot in a Cessna 310 or 340 coming that would go to Borger and Dana, I find out from her (after she disappeared for 30 minutes to exercise one of the pitties) that her pilot would only take 2 dogs, hers, and none of MPR's (Puzzle and Malcolm). This left us really stuck because this was primarily a MPR mission and Missy and her dogs were an add on. She was making it out that only her two dogs would be going on her pilot's airplane. To add to it, we already knew Dana won't fly that long of a distance for just 2 dogs. So we told MPR to thank Dana and ask him not to fly, and told Missy to thank her pilot, but he was not needed. She immediately departed in a very unhappy huff.

Again... This took way to long to happen, but sometimes thats the way of volunteering. Again I apologize to you Clark for the delay but also thank you patience in waiting for us.

We quickly loaded up the puppies, Asilo, Malcolm, Teddy, and Puzzle and drove 90 miles to Graham to meet Clark. We get there, and figure out that we can only load Asilo in a crate, the 7 puppies in 2 crates, and Teddy (who was a priority transport) between the crates and front seats. Every crate and dog fit, but only just. We said our thank yous to Clark, and watched him depart.

That still left Malcolm and Puzzle behind. Both are very awesome dogs and would make MPR proud. Bill Phelps took in Puzzle and I am fostering Malcolm until transport to Denver can be arranged.

Again, a HUGE shout out of thanks to Clark for coming all the way from Denver and flying the puppies and two larger dogs.
 
Last edited:
And todays layer of stratus clouds over the airport keeping me VFR grounded is the exact reason I want my IFR ticket.

Yes, I'd be mindful of icing conditions, but I want to get past having a benign layer keeping me from starting or successfully ending my flight.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top