Pilots into Audiophile Systems/Home Theater

Did a major theater upgrade this past weekend. Still need to do some tweaking/polishing, but it's all working and I'm thrilled. It's a basement theater, but not a totally dedicated space so I didn't go too budget-busting given some of the compromises that inevitably come with a non-dedicated room.

1) Replaced an older Onkyo AVR with a new Denon 4700H.
2) Replaced my 110" Silver Ticket screen with a new 110" Silver Ticket acoustic screen (assembling this thing SUCKED - stretching the screen material is a *****).
3) Replaced some Klipsch bookshelf speakers and RC42 center channel that I've been limping along with for awhile as LCR speakers with in-wall Klipsch 3-way speakers.
4) Added in-ceiling Atmos speakers (Klipsch)
5) Added side surrounds (in-ceiling, angled Klipsch)
6) Added rear surrounds (in-ceiling, angled Klipsch)

Paired with my existing Klipsch sub, this takes me from a 3.1 system to a 7.2.1 system. Still need to run Audesy for the receiver calibration, and I need to pull the screen back down to install the black backing material, but initial tests revealed everything works.

Between the Denon 4700H, screen and the speakers + wire, etc., I'm into the upgrade for about $3500 or so. Kept the existing Epson projector and Klipsch sub.

AudysseyXT is pretty good stuff and works pretty well on my Denon x4400h. I know everyone is really hot on the new Dirac stuff, but I haven't heard it yet. I can't remember which models are eligible, but Denon was offering the Dirac software upgrade on either the x4700, or x4800 and up AVRs. There is supposedly some software coming out (Dirac and Trinnov) that could essentially correct for room modes by using active cancellation. It won't completely eliminate the need for sound absorption/correction panels, but it would greatly reduce it.

AudysseyXT is pretty good stuff and works pretty well on my Denon x4400h. I know everyone is really hot on the new Dirac stuff, but I haven't heard it yet. I can't remember which models are eligible, but Denon was offering the Dirac software upgrade on either the x4700, or x4800 and up AVRs. There is supposedly some software coming out (Dirac and Trinnov) that could essentially correct for room modes by using active cancellation. It won't completely eliminate the need for sound absorption/correction panels, but it would greatly reduce it.

Doesn't look like the 4700h is on the upgrade list. 3800 and 4800, but not the 4700.

Went down a rabbit trail looking at DIY subwoofers. Thinking about buying a flat pack to build a "Mini Marty" 18" subwoofer enclosure. Tons of output for less than 50% of the cost of the retail brands. I almost want to see if I can make it look like an end-table or piece of furniture by going piano gloss black or maybe find a nice veneer for the outside. Wife might kill me, but I could build the entire thing made for about 1 AMU.

upload_2023-1-23_17-7-14.png

Back