Pilots can now watch the paint dry on their medical applications via MedExpress

I guess they got tired of people calling them all the time? Too bad they couldn't figure out some way to use the internet to streamline some of the process or something!

I agree, a secure file/doc upload portal would be helpful. But being able to see that nothing is happening is an improvement!

Just logged in to see what the new process revealed. It says my application was submitted over 60 days ago, call RFS. At least for me it doesn’t seem to be particularly helpful. Maybe someone else can benefit.

I just checked mine and it shows that it is in "Final Review" and bellow that it says

"The determination on your application is undergoing final review by an FAA Medical Officer. Final review generally takes up to 2 days. Once complete, the FAA will send correspondence via mail.

You are cautioned to abide by 14 CFR § 61.53, relating to operations during medical deficiency. Operation of aircraft is prohibited at any time new symptoms or adverse changes occur in your health status.
"

I will be shocked if anything is done within 2 days.

It also means the idiots who wrote that software (Medexpress is one of the worst pieces of contract work I've seen), don't know what the word "generally" means. It does NOT mean usually, even if that is what they intended.

It also means the idiots who wrote that software (Medexpress is one of the worst pieces of contract work I've seen), don't know what the word "generally" means. It does NOT mean usually, even if that is what they intended.
That’s what it means according to my dictionary. What does it mean in your dictionary?

That’s what it means according to my dictionary. What does it mean in your dictionary?
In a general sense or manner; in general terms; without reference to individuals or particulars. Opposed to specially or particularly.

It's one of those things that is so misused that dictionaries now codify the wrong use. It's like the abuse of the word "literally."

In a general sense or manner; in general terms; without reference to individuals or particulars. Opposed to specially or particularly.

It's one of those things that is so misused that dictionaries now codify the wrong use. It's like the abuse of the word "literally."

You know you're the old man yelling "get off my lawn" when you're arguing that dictionary's define a word wrong.

However, I can relate. This one doesn't bother me though.

lol I noticed it later and decided to leave it to see if anyone pointed it out. Figures it was you.

I was curious as to old usages of the word "generally" so I went to NGrams as this was the first I'd heard of the concept that the definition had evolved.

https://www.google.com/search?q="generally"&tbm=bks&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:1800,cd_max:1818&lr=lang_en

I am seeing a lot of "generally" meaning "usually" in these excerpts from the early 1800s, including, amusingly, it seems in a book on English grammar

https://www.google.com/books/edition/English_Grammar/Df4YAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq="generally"&pg=PA117&printsec=frontcover

H1B visa style script?

I just checked mine and it shows that it is in "Final Review" and bellow that it says

"The determination on your application is undergoing final review by an FAA Medical Officer. Final review generally takes up to 2 days. Once complete, the FAA will send correspondence via mail.

You are cautioned to abide by 14 CFR § 61.53, relating to operations during medical deficiency. Operation of aircraft is prohibited at any time new symptoms or adverse changes occur in your health status.
"

I will be shocked if anything is done within 2 days.

Did yours end up showing up yet?

So I check medexpress and they reviewed my “new application “ on the 6th of June and would need more information surprise! They would be mailing information needed within 3 days of that date. Well nothing yet so emailed flight surgeon and they responded very quickly that my application was in the process and under review and to call CAMI at 405-954-4821 . So I have called 25 times or so today at various times and got the “experience high call volume please call back later” whiskey Tango foxtrot

So I check medexpress and they reviewed my “new application “ on the 6th of June and would need more information surprise! They would be mailing information needed within 3 days of that date. Well nothing yet so emailed flight surgeon and they responded very quickly that my application was in the process and under review and to call CAMI at 405-954-4821 . So I have called 25 times or so today at various times and got the “experience high call volume please call back later” whiskey Tango foxtrot

When I call and get that message I press 1 I think..maybe 2. One of them got me around it and got me a real person.

I called the regional flight surgeon and they actually emailed the latest letter to me. It’s not good! Current neurology evaluation, current neuropsychological, and MRI of brain. Why the hell did it take 9 damn months to figure that out. Should of just friggin lied!

I called the regional flight surgeon and they actually emailed the latest letter to me. It’s not good! Current neurology evaluation, current neuropsychological, and MRI of brain. Why the hell did it take 9 damn months to figure that out. Should of just friggin lied!
The system is set up in such a way that it almost encourages not being honest because if you are honest you have to go through so much crap that it makes seem almost impossible. I mean I get it if you are trying to be an ATP or something but the fact that you can be a sport pilot based on your driver license tells me all i need to know about how flawed the system is.

I have always argued what’s the real difference in a high end LSA and a Cessna 172 other than seats. I mean if you cal fly LSA at 9000ft with glass screens then surely one could fly 172 with steam gauges. I just don’t get it. I would have went sport pilot but I’m just too heavy. Of course now they are going to change the regs and let them be heavier. Damn if I could do this over…….oh well another 5k and at least 6 months.

Because nobody opened the incoming mail until 8 months pass. At least now you're in a much shorter queue.

Well its kind of like gas going down to 4.69/gallon. Not good but better. I agree it won’t be as long as it has been

Because nobody opened the incoming mail until 8 months pass. At least now you're in a much shorter queue.

Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be quicker for me since my HIMS-AME faxed everything to them. They got everything they needed from the AME on June 28th and it was scanned in and showed up on my documents list on MedExpress on July 8th. I was actually quite surprised it had been scanned in that quickly but I'm sure it'll be at least a few months before anyone actually looks at it again.

I wasn't really referring to the mail as a physical item (though that slows things down even further). The problem is your deferred application gets tuck in the inbound queue for the reviewer before they even look at the contents. After that, (if you're lucky) you're in normal propagation delays unless it goes to a special panel (DC hell).

I wasn't really referring to the mail as a physical item (though that slows things down even further). The problem is your deferred application gets tuck in the inbound queue for the reviewer before they even look at the contents. After that, (if you're lucky) you're in normal propagation delays unless it goes to a special panel (DC hell).

This is where the process sort of confuses me. The AME submitted everything that was left and someone picked it up from the fax machine and stuck it somewhere to be scanned. The person scanning it gave everything a name in the file which reflects what the document is so after that it will eventually be picked up by someone who will review it and then make the call as to whether it gets approved on the local level or gets shipped off to DC ? The only thing I know for certain is everything is there, it's been scanned into their system and reflected in the my documents section of MedExpress, after that I guess they get to it when they get to it.

Yes, the bulk of the delay occurs from the time that it's in processed as you describe, until it reaches the front of the line at the reviewers desk. He then will almost certainly write you a letter asking for more information. At least at that point, you bypass the initial queue (you still have to go through the scan/login process) but responses that don't take any special approval usually process through in two weeks.

Yes, the bulk of the delay occurs from the time that it's in processed as you describe, until it reaches the front of the line at the reviewers desk. He then will almost certainly write you a letter asking for more information. At least at that point, you bypass the initial queue (you still have to go through the scan/login process) but responses that don't take any special approval usually process through in two weeks.

Well I really really HOPE they don't ask for more. I'm coming off a deferral/denial in 2013 that I just didn't do anything with and last year I decided I wanted to give it a go so I called and got set up for a consult with a HIMS-AME and he told me to go ahead and reapply and take a new physical which I did (knowing it would be a deferral because I had to finish what they asked me for to begin with) I had previously been taking adderral so I had to take a cogscreen and neuropsychologial and a sleep study. Needless to say it took a little more than 4 weeks from my new physical to the letter from the FAA asking for more information (they wanted a personal statement reference to the ADHD) in the mean time I had scheduled my cogscreen and neuropychological exam with the FAA known psychologist and scheduled a sleep study. I completed the Cogscreen stuff (Dr said it looked good) and shortly therefafter completed the sleep study which showed i still had sleep apnea but i got on a machine and had 30 days of good data that was compliant I then forwarded that to the AME and he already had gotten a copy of the psychological stuff from the neuropsychologist and because in 2013 I also had high blood pressure they wanted a note from my doctor about my current BP and the medication I'm on and that it had no adverse side effects. So basically everything that they had asked for in 2013 I provided in addition to the new physical and the personal statement for the ADHD so hopefully with all that said I won't get another letter asking for me.

The RFS office told me once a Dr opens your file it always goes back to the same Dr for all follow up.

Yes, in the case of my medical debacle, the RFS was even able to decode the letters at the bottom and get me a phone number for the reviewer (probably something that should have been done but it saved me time).

It’ll be interesting to see how mine plays out since it’s an old file with a new exam mixed in. Everything covered by the “new” letter for more info was addressed by the stuff they asked for from the old file so who knows what is going on with my file. It’s only been there since the 28th of June & it was only scanned last Thursday (well the cogscreen and psychological was scanned in in late May because the neuropsychologist sent it direct to the FAA and my AME) or Friday so I guess I’ll let it ride for 30 days and then call them. I know I’m in for wait of some kind I just hope it’s not a months long wait as we served an ace as I’ve seen said here on POA.

I guess once the Dr opens the file then things move a little quicker, we will see. I just want to see the specifications of all the testing outlined in the letter. Hopefully they will email that part today.

I guess once the Dr opens the file then things move a little quicker, we will see. I just want to see the specifications of all the testing outlined in the letter. Hopefully they will email that part today.
If it's anything like mine it will come with a several page attachment that will list the specifications. That's how the one for the ADHD came back in the day.

Just checked the web registry. Looks like I got issued. I was differed back in 2016. I have been through hell and back. I will post the whole timeline and everything later once I get the snail mail. Thank you God. I hope and pray that everyone else going through this get the good news soon.

Just checked the web registry. Looks like I got issued. I was differed back in 2016. I have been through hell and back. I will post the whole timeline and everything later once I get the snail mail. Thank you God. I hope and pray that everyone else going through this get the good news soon.

Congrats! I know you've been through a heck of a journey.

If you have been issued, you can call and they will email you a copy of your certificate.

I have always argued what’s the real difference in a high end LSA and a Cessna 172 other than seats.

The only thing that makes sense (OK - NOT!) is that you might want to get an IFR rating with your PPL and there's no way you could control a plane in instrument conditions without having your medical information scrutinized and greenlighted by a highly paid government bureaucrat ...

Congratulations. It’s good to hear that the fight is over and you were successful. We will all end up there but it just takes so long. Again congratulations.

What, what? The FAA did something that wasn't two steps backward? Impossible! This is actually really awesome but I will always remember me calling OKC Monday -> Wednesday -> Friday -> Tuesday -> Thursday and getting Dave 50% of the time. Dave was such a nice guy and ALWAYS had great conversations with me while pulling my file up. Though if I got him 50% of the time they must have been more understaffed than I thought now that I'm thinking about it, and I got my SI approved in 2020. I can't imagine it now.

I'd imagine though still calling with that every-other-day routine is still somewhat important to get your file flagged with priority and once that happens then you can sit back and check MedXPress constantly?

Also Dave if you're reading this, you're a great guy. Thanks for being a part of my journey.

Congrats! Another person in the sky.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back