Pilots breaking VFR minimums

A couple of F-4s from Eglin AFB shooting at a towed target over the Gulf of Mexico. After lead finished shooting, he slides over to let his wingman have his turn. As he's sliding over wingman opens up and accidently shoots lead down. I arrived at Eglin in '81 so I think this happen in the 70s as the wing had F-15s by then.

Think Bob Hoover got shot down doing aerial gunnery prior to WWII as well. He was diving in on the banner and his wingman shot him down. Crash landed in the beach around Tampa.

Yeah I think I recall reading that in his book. What a cool guy, and pilot of course. Met him at Sun-N-Fun years ago, very pleasant.

As for MOAs, you don't have to be Captain Dingbat McClueless about it. If you are on Flight Following you can ask if the MOA is hot. If it is, you can ask for more information like what altitudes they are using. A lot of time you can get plenty of info to make an informed decision about whether to transit or not.

That said, if I have no info about an MOA I usually cross through. The sky is a big place, my little puddle-jumper flies pretty low, and I know to be extra head-swivelly.

I thought you needed 20/20 vision to fly for the millitary?

If they can't see a standard issue GA bug smasher doing a buck ten in VFR conditions, I want my tax dollars back
Nyet, just corrected. Also, x-ray vision is not required either - don't have to be able to see through a wing, the floor, or through the puffy clouds, or low-VFR.

We had a thread on it a while ago. F-4 hit a Baron during an ADIZ intercept back in the 80s. Pilot screwed up the intercept while IMC.
Oh yeah, using his fire control radar, which was a pretty crude tool for the purpose. The physical evidence on the Phantom was gruesome. . .

Back