Pilots and a sense of humor...

Pinstriper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pinstriper
I know a few guys on here have a great sense of humor .... But I've noticed over time that pilots in general (here and on Facebook) tend to be serious folks.. I know being serious will keep you alive but gee whizz.. Some pilots can't crack a laugh if it's the last thing they do!!! What gives?

Some folks seem to suffer a recto-cranial inversion so for them the view never changes...

I think people who can't laugh are the most insecure.

I know a few guys on here have a great sense of humor .... But I've noticed over time that pilots in general (here and on Facebook) tend to be serious folks.. I know being serious will keep you alive but gee whizz.. Some pilots can't crack a laugh if it's the last thing they do!!! What gives?

I couldn't agree with you more.

I've found that in-person most pilots are hilarious, or, at the very least, are capable of appreciating a good joke.

In an on-line forum? Not so much. In fact, I've noticed that a lot of pilot's have writing styles that would be diagnosed as Asperger-esque.

I've found that in-person most pilots are hilarious, or, at the very least, are capable of appreciating a good joke.

In an on-line forum? Not so much. In fact, I've noticed that a lot of pilot's have writing styles that would be diagnosed as Asperger-esque.

This.

Really not surprising since most pilots are left brainers.

And...

Combine that with the fact that a lot of people here don't take the time to actually read and comprehend a post before firing off a response and you have a double whammy.

I agree with the OP. Most of the pilots I meet are nice people, but not great company, and lack much of a sense of humor. Frankly, I've had a bit of a hard time making friends with other pilots, and making friends has always come easy for me. It's got me thinking I might be a douche :dunno:

On the other hand, there seems to be a bunch of great folks here on POA, with a few exceptions, like 6PC, Geico, Henning, Muttley, Tango Whiskey, Jesse, Tom-D, the Overdrive dude with the wacky sig pic. But I won't name any names. ;)

The forum can not be compared to in person meetings,most pilots seem to have a good sense of humor ,in person and in the own group settings.

Ze interwbz is a gr8t place to act tuff and talk a good game. In person, those personas are usually much tamerfor fear of being called out or catching an accidental fist in their ear.

I just notice if you make a comment that really is ridiculous, like lets say, " there I was at 9,000' in IMC updated my Facebook status when the dude in the back seat decided to crack open a few beers since there was nothing much to do but watch soup" or some other type of comment while commenting on someone's post.. Next thing you know you've got pilots calling you out and hoping you get busted or at the very least saying that that is a stupid thing to do up there and even stupider to post it on the Internet...

I mean like really? People think others are so stupid? I read 6PC stuff and just die laughing and never once think the dude may be remotely serious about some things he writes about..

Combine that with the fact that a lot of people here don't take the time to actually read and comprehend a post before firing off a response and you have a double whammy.

That's actually what I meant by Asperger-esque.

Some of the worst fights on POA have been caused by someone with zero reading comprehension misinterpreting what was written, and going off on wild, tangential accusations because of it.

This is then inevitably followed by others who only read the warped response without reading the OP, and piling on, doubling down on the misinterpretation.

It devolves from there.

It really is exactly like having a conversation with someone who has Asperger Syndrome. Correcting them has NO impact, and, in fact, will only make you crazy. :)

Some folks seem to suffer a recto-cranial inversion so for them the view never changes...

I believe the proper medical term is Cranio-Rectal Proximity Syndrome or CRaPS. :wink2:

Some of the worst fights on POA have been caused by someone with zero reading comprehension misinterpreting what was written, and going off on wild, tangential accusations because of it.

This is then inevitably followed by others who only read the warped response without reading the OP, and piling on, doubling down on the misinterpretation.

It devolves from there.

It really is exactly like having a conversation with someone who has Asperger Syndrome. Correcting them has NO impact, and, in fact, will only make you crazy. :)

I have trouble believing you've talked to someone with Aspergers.

Just a technical correction, what you're describing is more of a ADD-ish behavior than Aspergers. The Asperger's reader will more likely be the one correcting the minute technical details that don't seem to add up to them. The ADD person just doesn't bother reading it all.

Assuming you actually read the preceding 3 sentences, please understand that I intend an element of humor in this.

You haven't met any pilot in Germany... Some of those guys not only do not smiled or laughed but wouldn't even talk to you! Happened more then once... :rolleyes2: Hasn't happened to us in the US so far...

Most pilots here have an excellent sense of humor. We post stuff to see if the usual crowd will lose their minds and call our other PoA buddies on the phone and say, "You're going to love what I just posted!" LOL.

I agree with the OP. Most of the pilots I meet are nice people, but not great company, and lack much of a sense of humor. Frankly, I've had a bit of a hard time making friends with other pilots, and making friends has always come easy for me. It's got me thinking I might be a douche :dunno:

On the other hand, there seems to be a bunch of great folks here on POA, with a few exceptions, like 6PC, Geico, Henning, Muttley, Tango Whiskey, Jesse, Tom-D, the Overdrive dude with the wacky sig pic. But I won't name any names. ;)

Hey!!! ;-)

Most pilots here have an excellent sense of humor. We post stuff to see if the usual crowd will lose their minds and call our other PoA buddies on the phone and say, "You're going to love what I just posted!" LOL.

Who in the world would ever do that?!?! :rolleyes:

This is what happens when pilots try to tell jokes . . .

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12125

Enough of an explanation?

Back