Piloting career without a CFI?

wontonsoup

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
wontonsoup
I'm a Commercial Pilot with about 350 hours and would like to land my first job soon. However most of the jobs are for CFI's and I feel I don't have it in me to teach people. I don't consider myself a teacher and I enjoy doing mostly introvert type of work anyway. I have some money saved for this summer to increase my prospects, and I was thinking about getting IFR current so as to get ready for the Aerial Survey season which starts around October for most states. My career goals would be flying for a small cargo company like FedEx Feeder. I would also like flying for a private rich client or maybe even Single Pilot Ambulence work. Are there opportunities for people like me or should I consider another career? One things for sure I do enjoy Flying and technology. ;)

There are, but it's a tougher row to hoe. You'd be looking for a job such as pipeline patrol, aerial survey, traffic watch, hauling jumpers, or the like to build experience and contacts.

If you get to 500 hours it gets a little easier. I'm living and flying in Puerto Rico for a couple years. Check out Air Cargo Carriers (Shorts FO), M&N Aviation, Ameriflight (EMB-120 FO), Air Flamenco (VFR 135). Could also try Great Lakes. If imagine Alaska has done options too.

There are, but it's a tougher row to hoe. You'd be looking for a job such as pipeline patrol, aerial survey, traffic watch, hauling jumpers, or the like to build experience and contacts.

Hogwash.

I got my first job flying a real estate dude around in a Arrow, plenty of DZ jobs though many want 500tt, but nothing you can work around, banner ops if you have Tailwheel time, go overseas and fly charter in West Africa even.

As someone who worked up as both a CFI and before as a non CFI, youll be fine without a CFI.

I'm a Commercial Pilot with about 350 hours and would like to land my first job soon. However most of the jobs are for CFI's and I feel I don't have it in me to teach people. I don't consider myself a teacher and I enjoy doing mostly introvert type of work anyway. I have some money saved for this summer to increase my prospects, and I was thinking about getting IFR current so as to get ready for the Aerial Survey season which starts around October for most states. My career goals would be flying for a small cargo company like FedEx Feeder. I would also like flying for a private rich client or maybe even Single Pilot Ambulence work. Are there opportunities for people like me or should I consider another career? One things for sure I do enjoy Flying and technology. ;)

My very first student was a young lady who worked at the Pacific Science Center and had a degree in nuclear science...so she was no dummy. She was never an instructor and ended up flying for United. I know that at one time she flew a twin for a lumber company in Bellingham, WA but I really didn't follow her career before she became an air show performer/airline pilot.

Bob Gardner

You definitely do not need your CFI to start your flying career. However, it is nice to have and you really learn a lot. It's also one more thing that looks good on your resume.

Last edited:
Appreciate the responses thus far. It's good to see options out there instead of going down the CFI route.

Back