PilotFreeStuff: Logbook Edition nearing beta release

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I've been working for a long time on this now, and while a lot looks similar, there is a lot that has changed behind the scenes to make this work a lot smoother than previous shots. Here are the current screenshots of Version 0.55 (yes, I restarted the version increment to be a bit more intelligent)

Known Bugs so far:

Windows Vista (presumably XP, I have no XP test box yet)
Program misbehaves when the QuickTime Taskbar launcher is running (UGH!!!)

Macintosh OSX (Should run on previous versions, but again, I can't test yet)
Weird menu behavior. Apple Menu is strange...

Linux (tested on Ubuntu Feisty)
No known bugs at the moment

What's still to come:
Prettying up. Making this not look so 1980's GUI style
Video Embedding for Video Logbook Features
The PFS Flight Planner (much later)
Tons of features.

So - here's some screenshots, with a mini step though.

From Windows:
Looking at a fresh, untouched logbook
blankbook.jpg

Lets create a new entry!
newlogentry.jpg

After filling out the fields, let's pick an image to add to the logbook
pickimage.jpg

And the finished product
logpopulated.jpg

Linux and Mac screenshots coming soon.

Last edited:
And now for some Linux Screenshots:

Blank Logbook:
linuxlogempty.jpg

Adding a new entry:
linuxnewentry.jpg

Adding a picture:
linuxpicselect.jpg

And the finished log:
linuxlogpopulated.jpg

Nick -
To copy a window instead of the entire desktop (in Windows), hold down the <Alt> key while pressing the <Print Screen> key with the appropriate window selected.

Nick:

Looks great, but I strongly suggest that you include a data field to track instrument approaches, as these must be tracked for maintaining currency.

Cool project!

Nice! Now just concentrate on the Windows world and leave all the linux weenies to their techno-babble! :p

Yes...it was a joke!

will it be possible to modify the number and headings on the columns? things like Glider time, instruction given/received that I dont see on there now? that way you can log whatever you want

The other thing I would do is tag the airplane as HP or complex, instead of entering it as HP/Complex. In my logbook anytime you enter a new aircraft type into the logbook it prompts you for HP, complex, and conventional.

Also, does it let you know when currency is up? Looking at my electronic logbook, I know I'm good to carry passengers at night through tomorrow, and during the day until august something or other. As Spike said, instrument approaches should be counted (you'll probably need a separate table) and you'll also want to construct a formula to calculate the 6 month calendar clock. One thing I also hate, and I know it's hard to do with a logbook, is having to scroll left and right when entering info, and it looks as if you could narrow up your fields quite a bit. You only need 2 digits wide.

Also, what happens when I get my seaplane rating?

will it be possible to modify the number and headings on the columns? things like Glider time, instruction given/received that I dont see on there now? that way you can log whatever you want

Mine does, but ya need Access to do it.

Code:
Nick -
To copy a window instead of the entire desktop (in Windows), hold down the <Alt> key while pressing the <Print Screen> key with the appropriate window selected.

I actually knew that, but for some reason, I didn't think of it when taking the shots...doh.

Nick:

Looks great, but I strongly suggest that you include a data field to track instrument approaches, as these must be tracked for maintaining currency.

Cool project!

You are correct sir, and it has already been added!

Yes, but not right away. The first public release will have that feature, but the beta release that is coming soon will not yet.

The other thing I would do is tag the airplane as HP or complex, instead of entering it as HP/Complex. In my logbook anytime you enter a new aircraft type into the logbook it prompts you for HP, complex, and conventional.

Another feature that will be there before the release (its #3 on my TODO list), but not in the upcoming beta
Also, does it let you know when currency is up? Looking at my electronic logbook, I know I'm good to carry passengers at night through tomorrow, and during the day until august something or other. As Spike said, instrument approaches should be counted (you'll probably need a separate table) and you'll also want to construct a formula to calculate the 6 month calendar clock. One thing I also hate, and I know it's hard to do with a logbook, is having to scroll left and right when entering info, and it looks as if you could narrow up your fields quite a bit. You only need 2 digits wide.

Also, what happens when I get my seaplane rating?

The beta release will have the currency checker. Seaplane?? Yeah, I totally didn't think about that. Custom columns when they're implemented? I'll think of a way to implement that (I also forgot tailwheel time).

As for the entry? You don't enter the data directly into the logbook display field. That is locked, and all entry/editing is done through the window shown in the 2nd screenshot for both operating systems.

Last edited:
Add the capability for multiple pictures and video. I assume you are storing them in the database?

Need a way to recall them easily as well.

Nick -
OK, just a couple of thoughts. I want a logbook that doesn't follow the norm.

How about letting me put the starting and ending Hobbs and Mr. Computer does the subtraction?

Default date today. Uppy-down arrows to go to previous, later dates. Calendar control for other dates.

How about putting sums after every few lines of the logbook? & show them on the data entry form.

How about letting me list intermediate stops separately so that you can someday put in a search that lets me list where I've been? Or parse them out and store separately. ("I've been everywhere, man...")

Can I put log information in any order I want and have it always displayed in chronological order? (i.e., can I enter my current logbook, then later put in an old one? Can I log today's flight and then remember and enter the flight last week when I flew John's airplane?)

I want to know what I spent on my flight so I can budget.

If you keep Hobbs, then you can combine my logbook with an airplane logbook and remind me to change the oil or ELT battery.

Have a place to write in the instructor's name & license for instructional flights. Default to the most recent.

If I log instrument approaches & holds, where and type.

Last edited:
Nick -

How about letting me put the starting and ending Hobbs and Mr. Computer does the subtraction?

Default date today. Uppy-down arrows to go to previous, later dates. Calendar control for other dates.

How about putting sums after every few lines of the logbook? & show them on the data entry form.

How about letting me list intermediate stops separately so that you can someday put in a search that lets me list where I've been? Or parse them out and store separately. ("I've been everywhere, man...")

Can I put log information in any order I want and have it always displayed in chronological order? (i.e., can I enter my current logbook, then later put in an old one? Can I log today's flight and then remember and enter the flight last week when I flew John's airplane?)

If you keep Hobbs, then you can combine my logbook with an airplane logbook and remind me to change the oil or ELT battery.

Have a place to write in the instructor's name & license for instructional flights. Default to the most recent.

You have pretty much read my mind Peggy!! The Hobbs thing is exactly what I plan to implement to keep track of the aircraft logs, but it will tie in with the pilot logs and stuff.

The one little feature I haven't been mentioning is a map that will display, based on your logbook, everywhere you've landed (and posibly the routes flown). That will come when the flight planner is done.

Yes, it should be always in chronological order (I still have some testing to do there...date is screwy sometimes).

ah, lovely scope creep! But, I have to agree, the wishlist is good!

Nick -

Just get an iPhone, and it will do all that.

Just get an iPhone, and it will do all that.
Really?

Kids have been telling me for years (maybe 10) to get a phone. Even gave me one for Christmas once. Can you keep a logbook in a phone?

Really?

Kids have been telling me for years (maybe 10) to get a phone. Even gave me one for Christmas once. Can you keep a logbook in a phone?

It's an Apple product, it will even fly the plane and change the oil for you!

It's an Apple product, it will even fly the plane and change the oil for you!

...and cook dinner, and bear children.

And raise them, with an appropriate social conscience. None of that "personal responsibility" blather.

It takes a village... an iVillage (TM).

Back