PilotFreeStuff Beta

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
THIS IS OLD INFO. NEW THREAD IN TECHNICAL CORNER!
Ok Guys, I'm looking for beta testers for PilotFreeStuff: Multimedia Logbook. I need to stress that at this point, it is FAR from a completed project, and there is VERY likely some bugs.

A few notes, while this is a public beta, I really only want people to download this that can deal with the fact that this project will not run properly in certain circumstances. There is a bit of debug left in the code to help with bug reports as well, so it is a bit bulkier than it should be.

What I want y'all to do is use as many of the features as you can and try to make this program crash.

***NOTE: A generic workaround for any log display errors that make the program unusable, for the time being, is to check the box that says "Do not display picture/video" so that you can delete that entry.***

A few known issues:

All Operating Systems:
* Adding a picture or video to a logbook entry and then deleting the file from the original directory will cause the photo/video to not display and the program to crash. This is actually something that I am redesigning so I can actually store the media in an alternate method. This does not need to be reported.
FIXED* Editing a log entry produces Date errors. FIXED
FIXED* This is a dumb one (D'OH!) The currency calculator on the main page shows a time associated with it!!! FIXED
FIXED*It also defaults to today's date, even when a flight was not logged todayFIXED
* The about menu does nothing. This isn't a bug, I just haven't set it up to do anything yet.

Windows
* Having the QuickTime Launcher running may or may not cause a NilObjectException. I'm still figuring out why this is, and why its not consistent. Any information you can produce related to this bug would be a great help!

Macintosh
Nothing known at this time, but I have not tested this myself, as I lack access to a Mac. Any bug reports from Mac Users would be VERY, VERY helpful! bugs@ridetheskies.com

Linux
Nothing known at this time. Please report bugs to bugs@ridetheskies.com

If you have a feature request, please email it to requests@ridetheskies.com

FEATURES STILL IN DEVELOPMENT
* Multiple photos/videos per log entry
* Airplane/Pilot database to reduce the number of fields required
* Customizable logbook headings
* Ability to import from other logbook formats
* IFR Currency Checking (I removed the IFR Approaches column for this reason)
* GUI that doesn't look like it was written by an 8 year old child.

So - if you want to help, you can get it at http://www.ridetheskies.com/PFS

Thanks!!

Last edited:
On my mac, I tried to paste stuff in from Excell, and it changed all the dates by one day.

On my mac, I tried to paste stuff in from Excell, and it changed all the dates by one day.

Interesting. How did you paste stuff into it from Excel (could be a feature I didn't know existed)....I'll try to reproduce this once I figure that part out :D

Nick, You left out us lowly CFI's and didn't include a column for instruction given. Might also consider a drop down menu on there for common aircraft flown in the a/c ident column, make it learn as you go. I also drug the PFS.exe file onto the desktop and it wigs out, I guess it needs to be in the same folder as the data folder.:dunno:

Edit: just read that the aircraft/pilot database is under development, hurry up, lol

If we're talking about the same thing (I downloaded a logbook program from here a short while back, but I don't remember from who), I copied columns in Excell and pasted them into the logbook program. I think it did it all right, except all the dates all changed by one day.

If we're talking about the same thing (I downloaded a logbook program from here a short while back, but I don't remember from who), I copied columns in Excell and pasted them into the logbook program. I think it did it all right, except all the dates all changed by one day.

Ok, I see the confusion. This is a different project than that. This is a standalone project that doesn't require any other software.

For your entries Nick. Make a clickable calendar with todays date selected. Would be nice. Also, If you make a entry for default aircraft and have it saved into the users database, it would make it alot easier to add entries.

Good start.

For your entries Nick. Make a clickable calendar with todays date selected. Would be nice. Also, If you make a entry for default aircraft and have it saved into the users database, it would make it alot easier to add entries.

Good start.

Clickable Calendar is definitely in the works (I have to design it myself, unfortunately, so it will take a bit longer than it should)

The rest is definitely being developed!

Received the following bug reports, and I'm working on fixing them. After they're fixed, I'll put up a 2nd beta, with a lot more stuff available in short time:

FIXED: Dual Time does not show up properly in the summary window FIXED
FIXED: Some numbers are cut off before they display FIXED

Last edited:
And here's a dumb bug - you can attach videos to the log entries, but you have to type the video name in manually. I forgot to add that as an option.

That said - if you choose a video and tell the logbook it is a picture, it crashes, and vice versa.

Back