Pilot with t1d

S

Sushi01

I have type 1 diabetes and I want to learn how to fly and maybe have a job as flying what do I have to do to get class 3 medical and do I have to send the medical to the FAA?

There are two options if the object is hobby flying:
a). Sport Pilot
b). Private Pilot

A). This option restricts you to one passenger, smaller aircraft, and flying during the day in good weather. However, if you can hold a driver's license in your state, you are considered medically qualified to fly planes called Light Sport. If you have a difficult medical background, or don't want to bother jumping through the hoops to appease the FAA Aeromedical division, this is a good way to enjoy flying.

B). This option requires you to obtain a 3rd class medical at least once, so you will have to jump through whatever FAA hoops are required for Type 1 diabetes. I don't think they are too onerous, and hopefully someone who obtained or maintains a medical as a Type 1 will chime in. Do not schedule an appointment with an AME and hope for the best. The best results come from getting all ducks in a row prior to opening an application with the FAA. Something to be aware of is the type 1 diabetes might not be the only thing the FAA could take issue with. If you were ever on any medication for any anxiety issues, depression problems, were diagnosed with ADD/ADHD or other mental disorders, have taken drugs like marijuana or have any history of alcohol usage that led to police or court action you could be in trouble from those directions as well, even if it has been years since any of it happened.

If the object is commercial flying (having a job flying), you will have to go through the FAA Aeromedical division, and be able to qualify for at least a 2nd class medical every year. If you want to fly at the airlines, you will need a 1st class medical. I think if diabetes is your only problem, and you maintain your numbers within the FAA-specified "okay numbers", it shouldn't be too hard to get a medical, especially if you stick with hobby flying/3rd class medical! But you do need to know that you are within those numbers before you show up to your appointment to get a medical.

I don't know if all that will help, but I hope you can get in an airplane and have some fun exploring the sky! :)

It is certainly attainable, if your diabetes is adequately controlled and you are sufficiently motivated, and you have no other disqualifying conditions.

Here's the applicable link from the aviation medical examiner's guide, setting forth exactly what is needed to obtain a first, second, or third class medical, which would be needed to obtain a private pilot certificate: <https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ces/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/itdm/>

Note that the FAA has separate guidelines for CGM users and non-users, though they certainly prefer CGM. If you use the search function on this site, there are several discussions about this in the past, including some from myself, and more recently, from someone with the username Flyabetic. As soon as basic med was an option for me, I went that route and never looked back. But then, I don't fly for a living and had no aspirations to do so.

If your eventual goal is to get paid for flying, you'd need a second or first class medical. With T1DM, this basically entails everything required for third class, more stringent vision requirements, and demonstration of lack of any findings of cardiovascular disease whatsoever.

It is certainly attainable, if your diabetes is adequately controlled and you are sufficiently motivated, and you have no other disqualifying conditions.

Here's the applicable link from the aviation medical examiner's guide, setting forth exactly what is needed to obtain a first, second, or third class medical, which would be needed to obtain a private pilot certificate: <https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ces/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/itdm/>

Note that the FAA has separate guidelines for CGM users and non-users, though they certainly prefer CGM. If you use the search function on this site, there are several discussions about this in the past, including some from myself, and more recently, from someone with the username Flyabetic. As soon as basic med was an option for me, I went that route and never looked back. But then, I don't fly for a living and had no aspirations to do so.

If your eventual goal is to get paid for flying, you'd need a second or first class medical. With T1DM, this basically entails everything required for third class, more stringent vision requirements, and demonstration of lack of any findings of cardiovascular disease whatsoever.
Sushi- are you using a CGM device?

I’m helping my 20 year old step son on this journey now. He has been on a CGM for years and maintains great numbers. He played football, still works out regularly and is doing great.

So the million dollar question… do we need to seek out a hard case type of AME or is this becoming common enough that any AME will suffice?

There are two options if the object is hobby flying:
a). Sport Pilot
b). Private Pilot

A). This option restricts you to one passenger, smaller aircraft, and flying during the day in good weather. However, if you can hold a driver's license in your state, you are considered medically qualified to fly planes called Light Sport. If you have a difficult medical background, or don't want to bother jumping through the hoops to appease the FAA Aeromedical division, this is a good way to enjoy flying.

B). This option requires you to obtain a 3rd class medical at least once, so you will have to jump through whatever FAA hoops are required for Type 1 diabetes. I don't think they are too onerous, and hopefully someone who obtained or maintains a medical as a Type 1 will chime in. Do not schedule an appointment with an AME and hope for the best. The best results come from getting all ducks in a row prior to opening an application with the FAA. Something to be aware of is the type 1 diabetes might not be the only thing the FAA could take issue with. If you were ever on any medication for any anxiety issues, depression problems, were diagnosed with ADD/ADHD or other mental disorders, have taken drugs like marijuana or have any history of alcohol usage that led to police or court action you could be in trouble from those directions as well, even if it has been years since any of it happened.

If the object is commercial flying (having a job flying), you will have to go through the FAA Aeromedical division, and be able to qualify for at least a 2nd class medical every year. If you want to fly at the airlines, you will need a 1st class medical. I think if diabetes is your only problem, and you maintain your numbers within the FAA-specified "okay numbers", it shouldn't be too hard to get a medical, especially if you stick with hobby flying/3rd class medical! But you do need to know that you are within those numbers before you show up to your appointment to get a medical.

I don't know if all that will help, but I hope you can get in an airplane and have some fun exploring the sky! :)
It certainly helped me!!!!! Thanks for the detailed response!! Never even thought or knew about the sport pilot option

I’m helping my 20 year old step son on this journey now. He has been on a CGM for years and maintains great numbers. He played football, still works out regularly and is doing great.

So the million dollar question… do we need to seek out a hard case type of AME or is this becoming common enough that any AME will suffice?
Not sure I'd trust any generic AME on this one, as it requires pretty detailed knowledge of what the FAA wants to see. While I'm sure any diligent AME could figure it out, it seems that some of them just want the easy cases, and don't want to be bothered with the ones requiring a bit more time and effort.

Dr. Chien has done a significant number of the T1DM special issuances in the US. If you're anywhere near his location, it's probably worth reaching out to him. If you decide to go with a local AME, I'd at least try to have a brief phone discussion beforehand, or make an appointment for a consultation, and ask if he/she has done the SI previously, how many, and if they're comfortable with it. The answers will guide you from there.

Not sure I'd trust any generic AME on this one, as it requires pretty detailed knowledge of what the FAA wants to see. While I'm sure any diligent AME could figure it out, it seems that some of them just want the easy cases, and don't want to be bothered with the ones requiring a bit more time and effort.

Dr. Chien has done a significant number of the T1DM special issuances in the US. If you're anywhere near his location, it's probably worth reaching out to him. If you decide to go with a local AME, I'd at least try to have a brief phone discussion beforehand, or make an appointment for a consultation, and ask if he/she has done the SI previously, how many, and if they're comfortable with it. The answers will guide you from there.

Perfect! That is exactly what I was trying to figure out and wanted to know. I definitely don’t mind sending him to Illinois for something this important. I read the FAA list for what was needed for T1D so we will start gathering what we can then reach out to Dr Chien and see if he can take another client. Thank you!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back