Pilot Wanted

dtaylor

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Darryl Taylor
Hi All -

I have two openings for contract pilots starting as soon as possible. Expect about 15-20 days a month delivering single engine aircraft all across the United States & Canada. Looking for pilots with relatively fresh commercial pilot license and CFI. The applicant should have 350-400 hours total time. Actual instrument time is a must and mountain time is a plus. The pilot will have to live in the DFW area.

If interested, please send me a PM.

Last edited:
Could be interested in the opportunity,not ready to move to DFW,might be willing to commute.

Dang, another 150 hrs and a Commercial and I would be all over this! How about I just fly the 172 and 182's!?

You should have no trouble finding pilots to fill your mission.
Three questions:
1) Why the requirement for a "fresh" CPL? (which conflicts a little with the 350-400hr requirement)
2) Why residence in Dallas?
3) Are you looking for test pilots to deliver brand new airplanes that have not flown previously? :)

And if I wasn't so wrapped up with the salvage yard.... :-\

I live in Houston, have CPL/IR and 1600+ hours. Plenty of actual instrument time and mountain experience. I'd be up for flying deliveries.

You should have no trouble finding pilots to fill your mission.
Three questions:
1) Why the requirement for a "fresh" CPL? (which conflicts a little with the 350-400hr requirement)
2) Why residence in Dallas?
3) Are you looking for test pilots to deliver brand new airplanes that have not flown previously? :)

Here are my guesses

1. Willing to work for less money and put up with more crap because the flight time is perceived as being part of the compensation for a low time pilot.

2. Cheaper travel costs for the pilots traveling to and from deliveries.
:p

Here are my guesses

1. Willing to work for less money and put up with more crap because the flight time is perceived as being part of the compensation for a low time pilot.

2. Cheaper travel costs for the pilots traveling to and from deliveries.
:p

He also didn't mention what could be expected of him, benefits, pay, etc

Just the fact that someone needs to post a gig like that on here is probably an indicator of the "pilot shortage".

I emailed - and almost fit. He passed on me because he wants somebody with more actual time (comfortable doing lower approaches) and G1000 familiarity. It'd be a great gig for a local CFI who needs more XC time in newish planes. And no, they're not all factory new, some have several hundred hours.

Did you guys discuss compensation?

@AggieMike88 , nopers. I'd be very interested in the gig from a flight-time, new-aircraft, long xc mission standpoint. But then again, I'm not trying to make a living in aviation.

I emailed - and almost fit. He passed on me because he wants somebody with more actual time (comfortable doing lower approaches) and G1000 familiarity. It'd be a great gig for a local CFI who needs more XC time in newish planes. And no, they're not all factory new, some have several hundred hours.

Doesn't sound like he's actually looking for a "fresh commercial"

Does sound like a good job, presuming the pay is right, and take new to me SE piston planes into LIFR, I'd hope it's north of 36k a year with some bennies.

Sounds like a fun job. I'm finishing up my CPL hopefully soon. I'm no spring chicken but the benefit is I've been around the block more than a few times. There is something to be said for that. Age brings wisdom and experience.

I think he means "fresh" like not ten years ago having flown little since. And CFI desired because the bonus deal here is offering to ferry owners in their new planes while signing them off for dual instruction, ratings, etc. I'm gonna guess it's paid by trip and 15-20 days monthly pays less than $30K. But we didn't get that far.

This is an amazing opportunity for someone. I highly recommend flying for Van Bortel Aircraft. Darryl is a great chief pilot to work with. I spent some time here and will greatly miss getting to work alongside the best company in piston sales.

This is an amazing opportunity for someone. I highly recommend flying for Van Bortel Aircraft. Darryl is a great chief pilot to work with. I spent some time here and will greatly miss getting to work alongside the best company in piston sales.

I'm confused, what's the best in sales have to do with anything, are the pilots making sales commissions?

I worked at VB for 3 years. It's not what it once was and I would advise against investing your time. The 15-20 days a month is not guaranteed nor will you get that unless you are literally on call 24/7. As mentioned earlier in this thread, low time pilots are preferred because they can easily be pressured to fly in conditions (weather or MX) they wouldn't normally accept, while making them fear losing their job. The CP is money driven therefore safety is second to closing the deal. If you have a CFI it will be used as a "promotion" to buy the airplane and you don't get paid anything above your daily rate for conducting BFR, IPC, checkout, etc. Imagine having the pressure of a $600,000 deal resting on your signature for a checkout in an airplane the customer has never flown.

These are just a few reasons you should run away. Don't let them sweet talk you, they are professionals at it.

Back