Pilot Training Question

fnook1331

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
fnook1
Good morning All,
First of all, forgive me if this question seems excessively stupid. I am a complete noob in the aviation world as I have only 30 minutes to an hour of real (non-simulator) lifetime flight experience. I have a hypothetical scenario that I would like to ask about regarding the validity of flown hours in the right seat of the aircraft and if it is considered valid for logging purposes.

Let's say that I am an officer within the USAF Auxiliary -- Civil Air Patrol and am out on a flight in a Cessna 172 G1000 model as an aircrew member with my Commander who is certified by the FAA as a flight instructor. I am sitting in the right seat where my commander is on the left. He is functioning as Pilot in Command. In this hypothetical situation, he allowed me to take control of the aircraft to teach me some basic maneuvers as a junior officer (Younger adult age) with interest in pursuing my private pilot's certificate.

If I took an FAA approved logbook with me and he signed off that flight in my logbook, would that officially be validly logged hours under FAA rules that I could put towards the flight proficiency standards for the student pilot's certificate and eventually the private pilot's certificate?

The reason I am asking this is because I am not sure if right seat hours count or if it is only left seat hours; not that I would think the concepts of flight instruction would be any different especially in a glass cockpit where I can supposedly bring up the instrument readouts right in front of me.

Thanks
-fnook1

If he is a CFI and signed your logbook it counts. It is highly unlikely he would have signed your logbook if it didn't count.

Let's say that I am an officer within the USAF Auxiliary -- Civil Air Patrol and am out on a flight in a Cessna 172 G1000 model as an aircrew member with my Commander who is certified by the FAA as a flight instructor. I am sitting in the right seat where my commander is on the left. He is functioning as Pilot in Command. In this hypothetical situation, he allowed me to take control of the aircraft to teach me some basic maneuvers as a junior officer (Younger adult age) with interest in pursuing my private pilot's certificate.

If I took an FAA approved logbook with me and he signed off that flight in my logbook, would that officially be validly logged hours under FAA rules that I could put towards the flight proficiency standards for the student pilot's certificate and eventually the private pilot's certificate?

The reason I am asking this is because I am not sure if right seat hours count or if it is only left seat hours; not that I would think the concepts of flight instruction would be any different especially in a glass cockpit where I can supposedly bring up the instrument readouts right in front of me.

Thanks
-fnook1
It does not matter what seat you occupy (as long as you can reach controls!). Nor does the type of instrumentation matter (G1000 vs anything else). If the CFI was current, and agrees that he was giving you instruction, and signs the logbook accordingly, then yeah, it's valid.

Probably the best person to ask is this person who occupied the left seat on that particular flight.

Good luck with your training!
Jerry

That was probably considered a cadet O-flight. If you get into more conventional training flights with your instructor, you will fly from the left seat.

Back