Pilot training in South Africa

Orlando Padilla

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Orlando P.
Hi, I'm new to the forum and aviation in general. I've been looking into viable ways to go about getting my PPL and CPL and had a couple of friends suggest training in a different country, mostly because its more affordable. After looking into this, I'm very interested in training in South Africa, however there doesnt seem to be much info on flight training out that way. The only thread I found relating to this was from back in 2015 and doesnt say much.

After doing a little research I like the Port Elizabeth area, specifically Madiba Bay flight school and Algoa Flying Centre. I might be doing something wrong but I havent really been able to dig up much info. Any experience, guidance or wise words would be greatly appreciated!

I don’t have a clue but how’s the situation in Cape Town, any better?

Look at all the costs associated with travel, even if the actual costs of training are less. Then your license may have to be converted to the USA equivalent. If the goal is a USA license, or flying job, just bite the bullet(figuratively speaking) and look to FL or AZ, and other hotbeds of training.

There is a reason the US is the GA/flight training mecca it is.

Lots of things are less expensive in other parts of the world. I cannot imagine aviation being one of them.

Lots of things are less expensive in other parts of the world. I cannot imagine aviation being one of them.
Lots of folks can’t legally get into the USA for any reason much less pilot training.

Look at all the costs associated with travel, even if the actual costs of training are less. Then your license may have to be converted to the USA equivalent. If the goal is a USA license, or flying job, just bite the bullet(figuratively speaking) and look to FL or AZ, and other hotbeds of training.
A lot of good points thank you! I did a rundown of the prices for a couple of flight schools out in South Africa and it looks like training up to a CPL from no experience at all will run me between $32k and $38k approximately, depending on the area and the school. That’s not including living expenses. Unless my research in the US is off this seems to be much cheaper I wouldn’t mind staying in the states though if I can afford it.

A lot of good points thank you! I did a rundown of the prices for a couple of flight schools out in South Africa and it looks like training up to a CPL from no experience at all will run me between $32k and $38k approximately, depending on the area and the school. That’s not including living expenses. Unless my research in the US is off this seems to be much cheaper I wouldn’t mind staying in the states though if I can afford it.
I know of a local instructor who creates some really good pilots, many who go off to find commercial flying gigs..... SWAG at costs less living expenses would be
Private: $8500
Instrument: $8500
Commercial: $3500​

So for about $21k to $22k you can get it Private to CPL for less expensive than your South Africa quote. And it definitely costs less to exist here than in SoCal.

I’d love to if I can afford it!

Perhaps you need to widen your focus. There are plenty of local FBO flight schools where I think you could get your CPC, Instrument rating for less than you might think. Look at a club who may have cheaper rates.

I live in San Diego, California. Everything is expensive out here, flight training is no exception

Lol

Yeah, I'd probably try Kansas before RSA, gotta get out of that overpriced commie state if you want savings.

Thank you all for your input! I cannot express with words how much I appreciate it. I’ll start my search in the US again. Looks like AZ and FL are a good place to start

Thank you all for your input! I cannot express with words how much I appreciate it. I’ll start my search in the US again. Looks like AZ and FL are a good place to start

Join Plus One Flyers, right here in SD ... largest flying club in the world with a fleet of almost 70 airplanes at 4 area airports. $34 monthly dues and affordable rental rates, even compared to other parts of the country. You can rent a 60HP 172 for $100.00/hr. Pick a flight instructor, lots to choose from, for around $50.00/hr. Fly 2 or 3 times a week, always show up prepared for each lesson, and get your private ticket for ~$8000.00.

Let’s get the ball rolling. How about you sign up for a local, private pilot ground school course? It won’t cost much. A second option would be to start a private pilot home study course.

Don’t worry about your astronaut qual, and cost, just get rolling on the private.

I can't fathom any way that like-for-like flight training would be cheaper in ZA. The fuel difference alone should way-offset any savings from cost of living and labor differences. If you wanted a way to subsidize an amazing holiday, though, that's an amazing choice. I love that place.

While I think price is the worst metric to use in shopping for training, there are pilot mills everywhere. You want a mix of cheap gas, living, and taxes. Head to the south. Florida seems to specialize in these sort of joints. Bring extra deodorant. You'll already have extra teeth.

$0.02

I think price is the worst metric to use in shopping for training
I agree with this.... quibbling over +/- 1 AMU isn't the way to go. The new airman needs to focus on the quality of the training.

Going cheap could mean the school can't retain good staff because the school won't pay the good instructors what they are worth. Sure, you obtain a pilot certificate, but if all you got was barely meeting the ACS's, you're still going to be spending more cash to raise your competency where it really should be.

Back