Pilot Stuff

yetti

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Yetti
There is a line in the movie Top Gun where Goose tells Mavrick to "do some to of that pilot stuff"

Reading the Air France Article, when they needed pilot stuff they did not have it.

Do you have it? Have you had to use it?

I grew up sailing and find that I can feel the plane vs. operating a plane.

I can think of 2 times in my short 3 years of flying career when I had to do pilot stuff.

1. With CFII 10 feet above the runway. Outflow of a nearby storm suddenly pushed the plane 50 feet off the centerline of a 40 foot wide runway. Without thinking I nailed the throttle and flew straight and level to gather speed. Then got out of there with a turn away from the storm.

2. On base and a strip with hilly terrain, thought of "you are too slow" combined with throttle.

3. Doing slips seems to give me the "you got the pilot stuff" feel

Interested in hearing other pilots thoughts.

Have had to do that plot stuff several times,even after proper planning. Most of it has been while IMC. ,did loose the leading edge of the prop while IMC,the pilot stuff came in handy,fly the airplane.

With a failed alternator under Denver Class B... Seeing and avoiding a taildragger on a constant bearing, closing range (collision course) using a quick steep turn.

Avoiding a KA climbing into me with a climbing turn. To this day I don't understand how they turned him into me and how he didn't have me on TCAS. He probably did but I saw him first and GTFO of there.

Go around from just prior to the numbers on Rwy 28 at KAPA on a busy Sunday (a taildragger's engine quit with their tail just across the hold line). Had to fly across both the 17s at low level, fly under the downwind for 17, climb to TPA, 270 into the downwind for 17R, switch freqs (to the T&G freq) on the GTN in turb, do a left 360 for spacing, and land. This was all in my RG too so I had to remember the gear in all this. And I handled it. Exciting. Wife was even impressed and she didn't know the half of what was going on.

Last edited:
My first flight this past weekend after getting my license!

Nothing like ever happened once to me during training.

Tower had me on base, turning to final, cleared to land.

Suddenly the Cherokee she had on downwind, No. 2 behind me, decided to cut right in front of me when she was about 200' in front of me! ATC warned me and quickly told me to 360 right...loudly!

I replied, that I will turn left, to avoid turning into the other plane. I had to bank a very steep turn left (50 degrees maybe) to get out the Cherokees path, and to give me a little breathing room. I could see the pin stripes on the plane. ATC scolded the Cherokee and sent her up the coast until the area was clear, she was not happy.

On the ground in retrospect, I felt pretty good about my reaction in the whole thing. First off as PIC, I realized ATC was not giving me good instructions, although she saw the plane before I did (the Cherokee came from behind my left wing) and did warn me rapidly, which I was thankful for. I very quickly banked hard left to avoid the traffic.

My first time out this happened, I had to do "pilot stuff"!!

Aborting a takeoff.
That always takes pilot stuff.

When you fly airplanes for a living. Once and a while that pilot stuff comes into play.

So I was on this approach right, and I haven't received any indications, any signals at all. I was about to go missed, but then I pulled my Pilot Card and then she let me buy her a drink.

So I was on this approach right, and I haven't received any indications, any signals at all. I was about to go missed, but then I pulled my Pilot Card and then she let me buy her a drink.

Ever the dawg! :rofl:

:lol:

Aborting a takeoff.
That always takes pilot stuff.

Blowing a left main tire at rotation speed in our club bonanza. That takes pilot stuff (Ray V. had this happen today about 21:00Z in N149G)

Every once in a while. There was the first flight with a new engine which included getting kicked out of BOS then having a complete electrical failure in the BOS MODE C vail 20 miles from home. Or the gusts mixing it up from 100-280 while on final for 35. Or getting cut off on downwind, base, or final by clowns NORDO and flying blind (evidently).
Kind of like driving where you sometimes don't have control over what happens, and sometimes can antisipate what the other guys will do. Fly safe and stay sharp!

Back