Pilot - Social Experiment

I was nervous about telling my family that we decided to get married, because they didn't know him all that well, he's German, and he's eight years older than me. But my Mom told me later that just by watching us together they were sure we'd end up married. That was 17 years ago.

But not everyone was so nice. My older sister's husband said he couldn't believe anyone would ever want to marry me. We never got along. Still don't, I think he's an ass. But oh well, I see them only rarely.

Do what makes you happy. But I've also learned over the years to let alot of stuff go and not let stupid stuff annoy me anymore. My husband's mother didn't like me much at first, because I was a weird American. I think it took her ten years to realize he wasn't going to dump me. She's very nice now. There is the benefit that when she annoys me, I pretend I don't know what she's saying.

Good luck with everything.

I was summarily kicked out of my in-law's house on one occasion. My family thought Mrs. Steingar was too old for me. We turned out OK, so far.

And Angie's father liked me more than he liked her.

I knew he was an ass and I hope he likes it warm, I'm sure he's getting plenty of heat now.

Wow, so I'm REALLY not the only one going through this!

I think they used to like me (or at least that is how it seemed both on the phone and in person, always), until I left and moved away.

I know my family and friends (WITH ZERO EXCEPTIONS) loved him.

I'm not Italian (at all)
My wife is first generation born in the US.

Here's a discussion between myself and her father, when we decided to get married and I went to show respect to her dad and ask if it met with his approval.

Al (her dad): You know, back where I come from, we'd send a spy to your village to see what kind of man you were to see if you were good enough for our daughter.
Me: I see. Back where I come from (Celtic lands), we'd ride into your village, set fire to it, and ride away with your daughters. Now, isn't this way better?

Come to think of it, I'm still owed two cows and a goat.

There was some stress involved with her family - she moved far away from home after college, and never moved back. Then she married a non-Italian, and our life is in some ways very different from her family back home - even in the US they still live close together like they were in villages.

But no matter what, it's always been clear that it's she and I, against the world if need be, but never against each other.

Can one target deaf men on eHarmony? Probably be a pretty successful relationship.

Wow, so I'm REALLY not the only one going through this!
No, I think it's pretty common. I can remember the older generation being pretty disapproving especially if you didn't stay within your own social circle and some of those circles were pretty small. These days that isn't so much an issue but I sometime hear my friends talking less than enthusiastically about their children's choices. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Can one target deaf men on eHarmony? Probably be a pretty successful relationship.

I wish I could find a clip from a "How I met your mother" episode, it'd be perfect here, but I can't find it.

I get wax buildups in my ears, they get cleaned out from time to time by an ENT. When it gets bad I go a little deaf.

When this first happened I went more than a little deaf, and really couldn't hear anything on one side. I went to lunch with my group, which included a hyperchatty undergrad doing cell culture. We put up with her because she was really good at cell culture and was quite easy on the eyes.

Anyhow, she was on my deaf side prattling away, and it dawned on me that the whole deafness thing definitely had an upside.

I get wax buildups in my ears, they get cleaned out from time to time by an ENT. When it gets bad I go a little deaf.

When this first happened I went more than a little deaf, and really couldn't hear anything on one side. I went to lunch with my group, which included a hyperchatty undergrad doing cell culture. We put up with her because she was really good at cell culture and was quite easy on the eyes.

Anyhow, she was on my deaf side prattling away, and it dawned on me that the whole deafness thing definitely had an upside.

So do they have wax implants I could sneak into a man's ears at night while he sleeps?

No, I do not snore.

See Jesse's post, above. Oh that's right - you weren't at the fly-in!!!

Understood, and it's obvious that something uhh... "loud" happened at the fly-in.

Was just pulling your leg.

My wife snores. There are nights I've seriously contemplated smothering her in her sleep. Hahaha.

She thinks I keep the full-sized headphones hanging from the headboard on my side to listen to music/podcasts/scanner so as not to "bother her". Heh.

"You don't have to use those." uh, actually... Nevernind. ;)

I may bring my David Clark's to bed with me the next time she has a head cold. :rofl:

Understood, and it's obvious that something uhh... "loud" happened at the fly-in.

Was just pulling your leg.

My wife snores. There are nights I've seriously contemplated smothering her in her sleep. Hahaha.

She thinks I keep the full-sized headphones hanging from the headboard on my side to listen to music/podcasts/scanner so as not to "bother her". Heh.

"You don't have to use those." uh, actually... Nevernind. ;)

I may bring my David Clark's to bed with me the next time she has a head cold. :rofl:

Wow.

I don't kick, snore, steal the covers, sleepwalk, talk in my sleep, or have any other sleep-related issues. Once I'm asleep I will stay in that position, no matter how uncomfortable, for a good number of hours or possibly all night. This sucks because I wake up with a pattern on my face of every pillow cover fold / couch cushion ribbing / etc.

Wow.

I don't kick, snore, steal the covers, sleepwalk, talk in my sleep, or have any other sleep-related issues. Once I'm asleep I will stay in that position, no matter how uncomfortable, for a good number of hours or possibly all night. This sucks because I wake up with a pattern on my face of every pillow cover fold / couch cushion ribbing / etc.
:blowingkisses: How you do-in?

JK, Angie does almost all of the above. I usually know what she was dreaming about come morning:rofl:

Interesting Links Troy, but, i think if Lingerie models fed me while I flew, that might not be a good idea haha. Probably wouldn't fixate on the instruments at least.... lol

Before I got started talking about marriage with my ex, there were some people I was supposed to meet / talk to on the phone from eHarmony.

One was a pilot (or so it seemed).

I decided to talk to him last night, since I know very few pilots here. Turns out he is not in the SF area very often, and in fact his airport is several hundred miles South.

He was on a carrier for SEVEN MONTHS so I can see why it would be hard to meet girls.

He flies F-18's and we talked about that - very cool. I will probably never meet him, but it was fun to find out how many hours he had and why he flies little single engines in his spare time, etc. I learned a lot.

Kimberly

Before I got started talking about marriage with my ex, there were some people I was supposed to meet / talk to on the phone from eHarmony.

You're already talking to your EX about marriage?

I guess I haven't kept up with the saga.

You're already talking to your EX about marriage?

I guess I haven't kept up with the saga.

He is talking to me about it - I wouldn't just call some guy up and talk marriage!

Argh. Nevermind. Yes, I mentioned earlier there is a person who has been there all along, since 2005 . . . .

That was why they were giving advice about friends and family approving.

He is talking to me about it - I wouldn't just call some guy up and talk marriage!

Argh. Nevermind. Yes, I mentioned earlier there is a person who has been there all along, since 2005 . . . .

That was why they were giving advice about friends and family approving.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What a drama.

The ex is talking marriage.
Your looking for love on eH.

As the world turns on POA!!

What a drama.

The ex is talking marriage.
Your looking for love on eH.

As the world turns on POA!!

No you have it backwards.

I looked for love on eHarmony, went on some dates.

Pilots on POA talked about what marriage is, and characteristics of a long lasting relationship.

I mentioned I already had that, in the past. I may have also mentioned that although we went months without speaking this year, I had been back in touch with the ex. Both of us had been / currently were dating. We flew together (and he had a blast).

I told him about this thread, he read it, and both of us began to speak openly about the past and future.

I think that catches you up, for now. There is more, but that is the basic description.

I canceled eHarmony.

I just hope it's a long engagement. But if it makes you happy, good for you and good luck.

No you have it backwards.

I looked for love on eHarmony, went on some dates.

Pilots on POA talked about what marriage is, and characteristics of a long lasting relationship.

I mentioned I already had that, in the past. I may have also mentioned that although we went months without speaking this year, I had been back in touch with the ex. Both of us had been / currently were dating. We flew together (and he had a blast).

I told him about this thread, he read it, and both of us began to speak openly about the past and future.

I think that catches you up, for now. There is more, but that is the basic description.

I canceled eHarmony.

Ok, I'm caught up then.

I read somewhere that after 7 years you still get butterflies with this person, I could be totally wrong but that sounds like reason enough to see if it can work.

I just hope it's a long engagement. But if it makes you happy, good for you and good luck.

Long engagement? You mean get engaged and then wait a long time before getting married? Heck, we aren't even ready to get engaged yet. This is just the beginning of a long process. We need to talk, make plans, etc. And warm up to the families before telling them they have a new member. No rush.

Ok, I'm caught up then.

I read somewhere that after 7 years you still get butterflies with this person, I could be totally wrong but that sounds like reason enough to see if it can work.

Yes and this person does too.

We are working on it now.

We will see what happens. There is a lot to do and think about.

My Ex-gf was a on that show (and a few others). :yesnod:

I don't even know what that show is. I rarely watch TV these days and often I go months without ever turning on a television. Sure, I watch Netflix a few times a week on my Roku but not TV.

I don't even know what that show is. I rarely watch TV these days and often I go months without ever turning on a television. Sure, I watch Netflix a few times a week on my Roku but not TV.

Before your time, I'm sure. It was an 80's show. She did a lot of shows in the 80s and early 90s; Charles in Charge, Remington Steele, Alice, Facts of Life, Family Ties, Rocky Road (TBS series, she was a regular for a couple years), Newhart, some TV movies, etc. It was a fun time, until she got outta control with the success (Betty Ford, twice). Interesting time in Hollywood. That was another lifetime ago. Sheesh, I'm getting old. :D

I was on a couple shows; Hollywood Squares (w/John Davidson) and another "social experiment" show called "Love Connection" with Mr. "2 and 2", Chuck Woolery. Fun times. Made over $20k cash and prizes on Hollywood Squares. :yesnod: Didn't make a "love Connection" on the show. Mine was quite the opposite.

Before your time, I'm sure. It was an 80's show. She did a lot of shows in the 80s and early 90s; Charles in Charge, Remington Steele, Alice, Facts of Life, Family Ties, Rocky Road (TBS series, she was a regular for a couple years), Newhart, some TV movies, etc. It was a fun time, until she got outta control with the success (Betty Ford, twice). Interesting time in Hollywood. That was another lifetime ago. Sheesh, I'm getting old. :D

I was on a couple shows; Hollywood Squares (w/John Davidson) and another "social experiment" show called "Love Connection" with Mr. "2 and 2", Chuck Woolery. Fun times. Made over $20k cash and prizes on Hollywood Squares. :yesnod: Didn't make a "love Connection" on the show. Mine was quite the opposite.

Did you go on a date at least? Or was the show fake? You are so famous. Or at least your ex is famous.

Back