Pilot report, Monerai P

wby0nder

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Michael
Monerai P N1390V took to the air again today for the first time since 2003.
I've had it in storage for several years waiting for the free time to get her
airworthy again. It's been my intent all along to find a good home for this
fine bird but I wanted to fly it and check everything out first.

If you are wondering what a Monerai is, look here: www.monerai.com Basically, it's a little single seat motor glider.

The original builder had only flown about 3 of the required 10 hours of test
time before he quit flying. So after getting the test area changed in the
operating limitations, completing an annual inspection, and updating the weight and balance I took her up for a brief familiarization flight at sunset today.

I've been an airplane pilot for only a few years but have been flying gliders
since 1986. The Monerai is the 30th type of glider/motorglider that I've flown. So my comments come from that context.

The cockpit is a pretty tight fit and I'm only 5'8"/150lbs. I always wear a
parachute so that boosts me up to 170. I need to adjust the rudder pedals yet which might help but I'd doubt that anyone much larger could fit. Trading the parachute for an inch of temperfoam would make a huge difference and allow a larger person to fit. The side stick works fine but if you've got fat legs forget it. I'd wager that a slightly different stick design would help a lot.

With a gallon of fuel (half tank) my 170 lbs just about maxes-out the gross
weight at 500lbs. This machine has two 6 lb batteries in the front for engine starting and it might work just fine with only 1 thereby allowing a slightly heavier pilot. As a pure glider the useful load would increase whatever the engine weighs which I don't know at the moment. (oh, a weight and balance pun, get it?)

The steerable tail wheel and wingtip wheel "stalks" make it so you can taxi
around but it's a lot tougher than my tail dragging Fly Baby. In a strong cross wind it really wants to weather-vane and twice I had to get out and manually point it the way I needed to go. But I was able to taxi about 100 yards between 2 rows of hangers, across a big apron, and down a pretty long taxi way lined with lights. By keeping 1 wing down and staying just off center line I could clear the lights just fine and trundle to the runway.

At full power the Koenig was doing about 3500rpm and with 10 knots on the nose was in the air pretty quick. After the challenge of taxiing it was a delight to fly. As a glider it handles quite nicely. The control forces are light and decently balanced. Not sure what my climb rate was as the vario didn't seem to be working right. I think there must be a leak somewhere to track down and fix. Anyway, at between 55 and 60 it seemed to be going up about 3-400fpm judging by the time to cross wind/downwind turn. I stayed near the airport and played with the throttle, airspeed, and flaps a bit while doing some turns and waiting fortraffic to clear. One thing for sure, it's loud! I could only barely hear other traffic on the radio and I have a decent Lightspeed 30.3G ANR headset.

I landed power-on but brought it to idle once over the threshold. I was able to make the first turn-off but shortly weather-vaned toward the taxiway edge and had to get out and re-direct after clearing the runway. By this time the sun was setting and there were 3 airplanes back taxiing toward me so I was anxious to get out of their way. From there on it was a piece of cake and I was able to taxi the half mile back to the apron, around the corner between the rows of hangers, and right to my spot like I knew what I was doing.

I'm looking forward to taking it out on the next good soaring day and staying up for hours. As soon as I complete the required test hours it goes up for sale, assuming I don't fall in love with it by then.

Attachments

• DSC01859.JPG
    DSC01859.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
He's referring to the black planks cut to fit the airfoil shape, in the foreground of the picture you posted. I'm guessing they're part of a handling fixture for installing the wing....

Ron Wanttaja

Max, I think Matt needs to do a few more flights in it to get the10 hours flown off.

Matt that lookspretty nice. I was checking dr Jack, and tomorrow may be quite soarable.

Fun to read your report and looking forward to the follow-ups!

I've had my eye on the Monerai for years, wondering if it might be for me. (I'm small, sub-Monnett sized.) And, do eye the available Monerai and Moni projects from time to time.

A rudder pedal adjustment and removing an inch of temperfoam from my parachute gave me much improved cockpit fit today. I also cleaned some bugs out of the vario line.

Taxiing was better too as I learned to anticipate maneuvers. Loading the tail wheel with back stick helped with steering. Only problem I had was passing behind a Bonanza on the ramp right when he throttled up to leave his parking space. The Monerai suddenly turned hard to the left despite whatever control inputs I gave. It took me a few seconds to figure out why. I chopped the power and hit the brake to stop while realizing I was riding a big weather vane. Once the Bo was on his way I simply resumed taxiing.

Less wind today so more runway used to get aloft. I tried 10 degrees of flap for take off but I think it just hinders the climb. I dumped them at about 50 ft and the climb improved. Speed about 60 seems best but all I can say for sure is that less than 55 is too slow and over 65 too fast. Tach reads about 3500 during full power climb. I get the impression that a better prop might give better performance. This prop was hand made by the original builder and though it looks pretty nice it's easy to imagine something more efficient. Next flight I will time some climbs.

After climbing to 2000agl I shut down and glided around over the airport. Now I could hear the wings oil-canning a little. Again, I have to say that as a glider this design really handles pretty nice. It's easy and fun to fly. Back to pattern altitude I headed for downwind and tried an in-flight re-start which worked perfectly. After climbing back to 2000 I shut down and headed back for a power off approach.

I selected 10 degrees flaps on downwind and pulled a couple more notches on base. Final started at 45 degrees flaps but as soon as I could see I might overshoot the runway threshold (dont worry, BIG grass under run on this one) I pulled to 90. I kept the speed at 60 easily with a little forward stick and trim adjust each time I increased the flaps. Flare and touch down were pretty easy even with about 7 knots direct cross wind. As soon as I touched I dumped the flaps which magically prohibits further flying.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to a good soaring day!

I wish that you would have called me. I would have liked to see it fly.

Sorry Rollie, I don't like spectators when I'm learning new stuff. I think it's a little distracting when you know people are watching. I was distracted enough just trying not to crash a flap-only, self launch, side stick, taxi challenged new type!

Back