Pilot removed for swearing

I wouldn't be surprised if the media/police/or passengers but an extra spin on this one...

At pax.....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/07/swearing.pilot/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

sometimes its good to own your own business. When a customer ****es me off, well thats the end of it. I am not condoning the pilots actions, but sometimes you just have a bad day. That will probably be his last flight flying passengers at least.

I want the rest of the story, WHY was the guy going off? Obviously the guy wasn't toasted or the cops would have took him. Something was up...

Perhaps he just got wind of what was happening with his pension and realized that after years of hard work he was going to be facing retirement as a Wal-Mart greeter

Perhaps he just got wind of what was happening with his pension and realized that after years of hard work he was going to be facing retirement as a Wal-Mart greeter

That's kinda what I was thinking...

What one of us hasn't had a phone call that had us swearing at someone.:dunno:

My question was why was'nt the pax minding his own business? The article said the pilot was in the bathroom so he was a least trying to have some privacy, those lavatory doors a pretty thin.

Yeah............this is Paul Harvey material.

I agree with Henning to hold judgement until the rest of the story is known. Some passengers can be real jerks- it seemed like a bunch of them were in front of me in line at ORD last snow storm. OTOH, I have to grin and bear it when I run into a fool at a trade show, and the pilot has to put a game face on for the customer. Still, the pilot had a problem and perhaps someone pushed the wrong buttons at the wrong time?

Maybe he lost money at the craps table. Or maybe he was just repeating something that he saw on national TV during prime time. Not that our current American society finds anything wrong with that.:dunno:
ApacheBob

First off, I can't see any FAR being violated, so the FAA should keep its beak out of it. However, as a public relations situation, use of the language described in the article by a company employee (especially a pilot) where the public (including families with children) can hear it would seem to me to be inappropriate behavior probably in violation of the terms of his employment. The airlines expect (rightfully, I think) their pilots to behave in a manner which encourages passenger confidence, and in my opinion, the behavior described would be contrary to such an expectation. Remember, one of the top priorites of an airline pilot is not to scare the passengers, and I can see them being scared by a display as described in the article.

I agree Ron, with the one exception that the FAA could (shouldn't, but I suppose could) use this incident as a violation of the morals clause included with the ATP rating.

I hope they don't do that, it wouldn't be right.

I agree Ron, with the one exception that the FAA could (shouldn't, but I suppose could) use this incident as a violation of the morals clause included with the ATP rating.
They usually reserve that for things like felony convictions and intentional dishonest behavior (like falsifying logbooks). I don't think they've ever applied it to swearing in public, or we'd probably all have lost our ATP's a long time ago.

Back