Pilot Psychology Lecture: Emergency Procedures & Complacency

ATFS_Crash

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ATFS_Crash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zY8tIDSIV8

This video is a safety lecture. Unless you're a pilot, wantabe or safety aficionado you will probably be bored with the video. There are no airplanes, it is purely lecture.

The video has been altered to conceal the identity of the speaker. The video and the audio have been edited and censored for public viewing. Some may still feel it is politically incorrect, but it has a much value for pilot safety education.

Related phenomena:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IBT/is_8_61/ai_n15979440

For more info Goggle "channelized attention"

The video has been altered to conceal the identity of the speaker. The video and the audio have been edited and censored for public viewing. Some may still feel it is politically incorrect, but it has a much value for pilot safety education.
Interesting, very straightforward video. I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm curious as to why anyone would consider it politically incorrect. Is it being shown without the speaker's permission? Are we supposed to think that military aviators never make mistakes?

Interesting, very straightforward video. I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm curious as to why anyone would consider it politically incorrect. Is it being shown without the speaker's permission? Are we supposed to think that military aviators never make mistakes?
I was wondering that as well.

Interesting and useful lecture.

As for it being posted on YouTube, I don't have a major problem with it. There's nothing there that compromises security, it's not protected by copyright (nothing produced by the federal government can legally be copyrighted), and the instructor merely admitted to a mistake (with a few nice spiritual references thrown in) from which he learned to be a better aviator. Given that he's obviously committed to aviation safety, I doubt he would mind; though it would have been nice if he had been asked first. (Then again, maybe he was asked, for all I know.)

Rich

The "anonymizing" of the content probably has nothing to do with any copyright concerns or permission issues, and has everything to do with complying with military policies and command directives, as I bet that somewhere there could be found a policy or directive forbidding the releasing of this content without a long, tortuous, review process.

Back when I was in the service I was a unit spokesperson (because I had a college education and could read, write, and speak well), and the PAO (public affairs officer) manual for a fairly "open" organization like the Coast Guard was pretty strict. I'd expect the other services to be even more strict, as they all (rightly) are cautious about their public image, and the balance of aw-**** to attaboy is more like 1:1000 instead of 1:100.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back