Pilot Murdered in Indiana

Mister Mystery Man

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mister Mystery Man
One of our old gang died recently as a result of homicide in Bunker Hill, Indiana. Arthur “Art” Anderson was one of the pilots at “Windfall International Airport” as we liked to call it mockingly after Indianapolis changed their name from “Weir Cook” to Indianapolis International (although there weren’t an international flights from there.

On rainy days we’d all hang out there and swap stories and look through all the ads that were current in Trade-A-Plane. On nice days we’d fly out for the $100 hamburgers or just take turns flying in each other’s airplanes around the pattern.

Art flew an Alon Ercoupe, while several others of us flew Stinsons. Some of us were big guys and we needed the extra room that a Stinson provided.

Art was an Electrical Engineer at Delco Radio in Kokomo (The billboard in front boasted, “The Automotive Electronics Capitol of the World”) and he was an amateur radio operator with the call, W9WPH.

One of the things that Art did was to take a Buick car radio and convert it to operate on 122.8 Unicom, install a set of relays and program a chip so the pilots returning to Windfall could turn on the runway lights with five clicks of the PTT.

That was a number of years ago and we’d lost track of Art until we saw the headlines in the news a few weeks ago. Apparently he died doing the things he enjoyed most. I was completely shocked that he would end this way.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/Boy-Scout-Leader-Murdered-on-Nature-Hike-128169668.html

.. MMM

Quite a tragedy. What a waste.

Let's hope they put that waste of oxygen who killed him in a cell with Tyrone for the next 50 years.

Sorry for your loss.

I read about this when this happened and thought that this is one of the most bizarre crimes I have heard about in a long time.

What a senseless tragedy, so sorry for your loss (and the loss of what sounds like a really good man).

There was more than one part of the story that struck me as bizarre. This tidbit seems to compare murder to spitting:

He faces murder and battery charges, and is also accused of spitting on police officers at the Miami County jail.

I wonder which carries the higher sentence?

He faces murder and battery charges, and is also accused of spitting on police officers at the Miami County jail.

I wonder which carries the higher sentence?

In Iowa, the spitting charge would get you a longer prison sentence than murder.

Here in Texas, they just shoot you for either offense... :D

What a senseless tragedy. Thoughts, and prayers for this gentleman. :(

As for the perp? FRY HIM.

What a senseless tragedy. Thoughts, and prayers for this gentleman. :(

As for the perp? FRY HIM.

He's claiming that he's not guilty...

PERU — Lawyers for Shane Golitko, the Bunker Hill man accused in the stabbing death of Kokomo Scout leader Art Anderson, have received a delay in Golitko’s trial.

Miami Circuit Court Judge Robert Spahr moved Golitko’s pretrial hearing date to Dec. 1, per the request of Miami County public defenders Peter Diedrichs and Bryan Michaud.

Golitko, 22, faces felony charges of murder, battery resulting in serious bodily injury and battery by bodily waste in connection with the Aug. 21 slaying on the Nickel Plate Trail.

Art Anderson, a 76-year-old assistant Scoutmaster from Kokomo, was leading an adult and two kids on a hike along the trail when police say Golitko rushed up behind Anderson and stabbed him in the neck.
Golitko was arrested a short time later after a brief car chase, and remains incarcerated at the Miami County Jail.

He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28956921/detail.html

.. MMM

Some jurisdictions Not Guilty plea is automatic in Capital cases.

If you "stand mute" to the charges ( don't say anything when the judge asked you for your plea) the judge will enter an automatic plea of not guilty for you. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty in court of law after a fair and speedy trial. Then we electrocute them. ;)

I doubt this is a capital murder case. He's a nut job.

If you "stand mute" to the charges ( don't say anything when the judge asked you for your plea) the judge will enter an automatic plea of not guilty for you. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty in court of law after a fair and speedy trial. Then we electrocute them. ;)

I doubt this is a capital murder case. He's a nut job.

Perhaps you haven't been paying much attention.

Back