Pilot logs

Not online, but I do use an excellent electronic log called LogTen Pro. http://www.coradine.com/

Sorry, Windoze and Linux users need not apply. This one's Mac-only.

However, I highly recommend an electronic logbook of some sort, as it makes filling out 8710's, insurance forms, etc. much easier, and also makes it very easy to track currency.

I use an electronic logbook available online as a free download and have been very happy with it for years now. Go to www.forpilots.com and click on Logbook.

i keep a paper copy up to date, and occasionally update an online version, a spreadsheet on google docs

LogbookPro all the way. It can do all sorts of neat tricks and allows me to upgrade to the professional subscription once I start flying 135 or 121 and will keep track of different regulatory logging requirements.

I also put everything in my physical log book, but anything in there immediately goes into LogbookPro when I get home to my computer.

I echo Jason - I love logbook pro. What I do now is enter the flights into LBPro, and then periodically I put them in a paper log as well. The only time I still "must" use paper is for dual instruction, but NC software has promised the next version of LBPro will support ink, so the instructor will be able to sign right on my tablet PC. That may (read on) change the paper logging I do.

The only issue with logs and "legal" stuff that I'm aware of relates to the dual instruction and other endorsements that may be entered with signatures into your logbook. The Electronic Signature Act passed in the late '90s was nice and vague and deemed that any electronic facsimile of a signature was acceptable UNLESS individual agencies wrote specific policy to define them. IRS did for e-filing. DEA did for the controlled substances transactions they regulate. I don't know what FAA has done, but I bet the answer is nothing(so far).

It would be prudent to keep your paper logging of instruction and endorsements, until there is a clear precedent set for digital logs and signatures.

Last time I went for an interview, I brought my printed log from logbook pro and that was used. I had the paper logs to back stuff up, but the folks didn't even bother once they saw that I had them.

Well I will say the link shows that the product does something almost no other one does, gives you an electronic AIRCRAFT logbook, maintenance system.

The ONLY thing that ****es me off is the push to SaaS (Software as a Service).

Give me a standalone version that costs $99 and I might buy it.

Charge me over $300 a YEAR and FORCE me to do it only online? No thanks.

SaaS is nothing more than a way for people to charge more money for the same thing.

Back