Pilot life insurance

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
As a student with the typical fears concerning my own health, and the worries of family member about me getting a PPL, I am looking into life insurance that will cover flying. What kinds of rates are people seeing out there? Without saying too much, I am 40, healthy, male, and non smoker. What companies and places are providing the best rates with the least amount of hassel.

Not a direct answer, but I found out from my insurance company that the best rate for me was <190lbs (I'm 5'9") with an instrument rating. I called the AOPA sponsored life insurance company. It was in fact a better rate than I was getting from term life (which just upped my $300k rate from $50 to $80/month).

Well I just started the process as well. They ask a lot of questions about your flying! The rates are going to depend on how often you fly as well as what you fly.

An example of what questions I was asked.

How many hours have you flown in the past 12 months?

How many hours do you plan to fly in the next 12 months?

Do you expect to fly an experimental aircraft in the next 12 months?

Do you expect to fly an ultralight within the next 12 months?

I am still waiting to see what my rates are. I'll post again to see how much they are compared to non pilots.

I have AIG ,but can't give you a figure ,due to my age. Being an older pilot.

I got a quote last year when I was a student pilot (32 year old male) with around 20 hours, it was twice as expensive until you had over 100 hours PIC time. For $500,000 coverage term life, it was $750/year for Lloyds of London covering accidental death in an airplane only, and then another $175 for a separate policy for the same coverage for everything else. After 100 hours, there was a different company that would insure me both flying and non flying, $500,000 for $395/year.

PIC handled mine, with John Hancock as the underwriter. I was 32, 6'4 230# and got $1M coverage for $60/month.

Not bad IMO, I'm about to go through the process again to extend the 10 year term to 20 now that I have my IFR and 200 hours PIC they'll let me back into the preferred pool.

Back