Pilot left the plane at 2000 feet over FL?

Man he sure had some expensive play things

g-cvr-090114-missingpilot2-6a.h2.jpg

Well I know what order I'd take those playthings...

the only question is wether the wife or the Malibu is the bigger maintenance hog :)

The wife. And I bet if you defer MX with her, she will whine louder than that turbine under the cowling! (Disclaimer: I know not all "trophy wives" are high mx, but I'm adding entertainment to this thread at the expense of a classic stereotype.)

It's a shame he wasn't using a Jetprop conversion, it would have had the range to make the ocean.
Higher altitude would have helped a BUNCH. Between the drag and the resulting crab, how much would the open door cost him on airspeed, I wonder.

the only question is wether the wife or the Malibu is the bigger maintenance hog :)

No question there - the wife.

I was engaged to a high-maintenance girl. I'm pretty sure my Aztec costs me less money.

Ted, I think you and I are on the same freq here. I'll take wings over high mx companionship any day of the week. That being said, my wife has probably cost me less than a fillup for the Malibu.

I saw on the news tonight how they tracked him to that KOA campground. He used their free wifi to send the e-mail to his buddy back home. The one that blamed it all on the hypoxia from the windshield blowing out him opening the door at 3,000 ft.

Hmm, imagine that. They thought to check the e-mail headers. Until then his plan had been almost foolproof! :rolleyes:

It was a Meridian, not a Malibu. And they have a problem with inlet corrosion.

Yeah, but what kinds of problems does the airplane have? :dunno: :rofl:

Not that I would stoop to any tacky humor or anything like that.

Yeah, that's what I'm here for. Glad I could help. :thumbsup:

That picture gives me douche chills.

I mean, really, you're in your 30s and you're posing for pictures with your purchases all lined up in a row, like some kid with bad tattoos posing next to the rims on his Civic for his Myspace page photo?

One of my favorite football sayings, which has broad applicability: "When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before."

Is the message of the above picture supposed to be "I'm a success"? Well, his "DB (Douche Bag) Cooper" shenanigans have certainly cleared up any question there.
-harry

Last edited:

I mean, really, you're in your 30s and you're posing for pictures with your purchases all lined up in a row, like some kid with bad tattoos posing next to the rims on his Civic for his Myspace page photo?

One of my favorite football sayings, which has broad applicability: "When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before."

Is the message of the above picture supposed to be "I'm a success"? Well, his "DB (Douche Bag) Cooper" shenanigans have certainly cleared up any question there.
-harry
:rofl:

attachment.php

Now we know what it would look like if the definition douchebag had (stolen) any money at all.

Attachments

• cover2-1_27.jpg
    cover2-1_27.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 137

Nah, you don't pose for pictures like that until you are at least 50....

-harry

He didn't have it all set up in front of his house. Now THAT, I'd like to see. Where's his dog?

Y'know, I was watching American Psycho last night, and thought of this guy for some reason...:D

"I, uh, have to go return some videotapes..."

Y'know, I was watching American Psycho last night, and thought of this guy for some reason...:D

"I, uh, have to go return some videotapes..."

:thumbsup:

"Would you like to hear today's specials?"

"Not if you want to keep your spleen."

Trapper John

I've been wondering what happened with this story. He's been undergoing mental evaluations to determine if he's competent to stand trial... hearing is scheduled before a judge for April 24th. As reader comments show, nobody is thinking anybody 'crafty' enough to scheme something this elaborate should be let off on a mental incompetence finding... but hey, I'm not a doctor.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20090331/NEWS01/903310317/1006/NEWS01

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...schrenker_back_in_escambia_county_jail/24863/

Also got hit with steep fines:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2009/03/25/99042.htm

Before Webber's ruling, Schrenker already faced millions in judgments and potential penalties. Those range from an insurance company's lawsuit in Indiana seeking $1.4 million in commissions to an Alabama judge's order that he pay $12 million in a lawsuit over the sale of a plane.

Last edited:
Dude gets 51 months in jail.

Other restitution:

Schrenker also must pay the Coast Guard more than $34,000 in restitution and must pay Harley-Davidson Credit Corp., the plane's lien-holder, more than $871,000, the U.S. attorney's office said.
Interesting. I didn't know Harley financed planes!

Dude gets 51 months in jail.

Other restitution:
Schrenker also must pay the Coast Guard more than $34,000 in restitution and must pay Harley-Davidson Credit Corp., the plane's lien-holder, more than $871,000, the U.S. attorney's office said.
However, the payment to Harley-Davidson will be offset by any amount the company receives from insurance, prosecutors said in a statement.
Whose policy was it that is paying HD? If Schrenker's, wouldn't that constitute insurance fraud? (I didn't see that as one of the charges).

Whose policy was it that is paying HD? If Schrenker's, wouldn't that constitute insurance fraud? (I didn't see that as one of the charges).

Ya gotta figure even (one of our) insurance company pays, they'll go after him to recover the money.

Contrary to belief on the street you don't get to walk away by torching your car.

As you say, it's insurance fraud. Bet on charges pending.

Hmm ...I wonder if you can get out of the criminal charges if the intent to defraud wasn't the motivating factor. His motivation was to escape his clients and other debts and, maybe, his wife.

attachment.php

Somehow, I don't think he thought his cunning plan all the way through.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Misc-CunningPlan.jpg
    Misc-CunningPlan.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 160
  • badder.jpg
    badder.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Depends on how the statue is worded. As Mike points out his intent was probably not to get the $$ from his insurance carrier. They will still come after him but whether its insurance fraud is questionable.

Other restitution:

Through Eaglemark, their wholly-owned financial service subsidiary. They now use Dorr Aviation as their funding channel.

http://www.eaglemark.com/links.asp

Back