Pilot lands plane blind after bird crashes into windshield

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
Story is almost a month old. Apologies if already posted; I searched but didn’t see it.

SAN ANTONIO — A pilot is receiving treatment at Brooke Army Medical Center after a brush with death in the sky over New Braunfels on October 31.

According to a BAMC spokesperson, Todd Unruh was flying a single passenger, Jason Schroeder, in a small plane from Dallas to New Braunfels for a business meeting.

Unruh, an experienced corporate pilot, said he was preparing to land the plane when he saw what he believes was a hawk in a deep dive. “We were traveling about 250 miles per hour when I saw him flying knife-edge heading straight down into our flight path,” he said.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/...ield/273-29fa35ba-856e-4615-8097-841c28f1dfed

Maybe he’s a hero, but he does knife edges wrong.

That is one reason I always wear glasses. Before I needed glasses I wore safety glasses.

God job for the both of them to get the plane down in one piece.

A huge fear of mine.
In my first few years of flying, a pilot of a light single augered in, having reported a birdstrike and inability to see before he crashed. Mic held all the way down with sorrow-filled report of his uncontrolled descent.

Maybe he’s a hero, but he does knife edges wrong.

What's that supposed to mean? I'm curious to hear your exalted opinion of how the pilot was inept as he successfully instructed a non-pilot to land a King Air after being severely injured and almost blinded by shattered glass hitting his eyes.

What's that supposed to mean? I'm curious to hear your exalted opinion of how the pilot was inept as he successfully instructed a non-pilot to land a King Air after being severely injured and almost blinded by shattered glass hitting his eyes.
It was a smart aleck remark.

“We were traveling about 250 miles per hour when I saw him flying knife-edge heading straight down into our flight path”

Back