Pilot Friendly AME for 1st Class Medical in Orlando

M

Medical Upgrade

Hi All,

Looking to upgrade my medical from a 3rd class to 1st class. Recently relocated to the Orlando area plus my previous AME has retired so he's not an option anyway.

I am under 40 and dont have any major ongoing medical concerns but do have some medical issues in my past. I made the mistake in a previous medical of not getting recommendations and just choosing an AME and even though there were no reported changes to any of my past medical issues, I was issued a deferral and it was 6 months of purgatory (and 8 months of no flying) dealing with the FAA.

Would like to avoid the same situation again, especially since I am looking to move to a higher medical classification.

Looking for Pilot Friendly/Pilot Advocate AME recommendations in the Orlando, FL area. Preferably on the south-side of town but I am mobile so not restricted to that area. I also regularly make the trip westbound along the I-4 corridor to Tampa and less frequently, eastbound on 528 and 192 to the Space Coast between Titusville and Melbourne so not just limited to Orlando (though Orlando area would be preferred).

We know someone in Pensacola if you're willing to make a short hop to see him.

I'm thinking since I want to upgrade and am establishing myself with a new AME, that I want to go in for a pre-medical workup/consult before filing the paperwork with the FAA via MedXpress and going to the official exam... That way I can decide which Class to ultimately apply for and be prepared for any documentation they may require (especially since I've moved around the country quite a bit and have medical records & doctors scattered from coast to coast making it difficult to acquire additional documentation besides that which I took with me when I moved if required)

@AggieMike88 dont make it up to Pensacola much but certainly wouldn't mind making the trip. Plus if you have someone you'd recommend, I'm sure there are probably people up that way who would appreciate their information.

@alfadog I make it down to Miami about once every 2 or 3 months; not due down that way again until September but I have a few months left on my current medical and of course could make the trip sooner if my need for an upgraded medical becomes more pressing (not currently doing anything that requires more than a class 3 but have been chatting with a few operations that would require/desire a class 2 or higher, nothing solid, just preliminaries at the moment but want to get my ducks in a row in case it moves forward) but would appreciate any recommendations you have.

@jsstevens thanks for the recommendation. Do you know if he does pre-medical consults?

I'm thinking since I want to upgrade and am establishing myself with a new AME, that I want to go in for a pre-medical workup/consult before filing the paperwork with the FAA via MedXpress and going to the official exam... That way I can decide which Class to ultimately apply for and be prepared for any documentation they may require (especially since I've moved around the country quite a bit and have medical records & doctors scattered from coast to coast making it difficult to acquire additional documentation besides that which I took with me when I moved if required)

@AggieMike88 dont make it up to Pensacola much but certainly wouldn't mind making the trip. Plus if you have someone you'd recommend, I'm sure there are probably people up that way who would appreciate their information.

@alfadog I make it down to Miami about once every 2 or 3 months; not due down that way again until September but I have a few months left on my current medical and of course could make the trip sooner if my need for an upgraded medical becomes more pressing (not currently doing anything that requires more than a class 3 but have been chatting with a few operations that would require/desire a class 2 or higher, nothing solid, just preliminaries at the moment but want to get my ducks in a row in case it moves forward) but would appreciate any recommendations you have.

@jsstevens thanks for the recommendation. Do you know if he does pre-medical consults?

I don’t. Wasn’t an issue for me. I’d say contact him via website and ask. He’s pragmatic and reasonable.

@AggieMike88 dont make it up to Pensacola much but certainly wouldn't mind making the trip. Plus if you have someone you'd recommend, I'm sure there are probably people up that way who would appreciate their information
An old salt US Navy flight surgeon... Dr. Louis B. Fowler, Jr., also a HIMS AME if that is ever needed (hope it never is for you, but always good to know one if it is). You can google him. And he is also on this forum as @lbfjrmd

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back